Status: In Progress

One Heart With Two Owners

Key to happines

*Zacky’s P.O.V.*

I did not know what I was supposed to do now. It was touching that my best friend really wanted to protect me, but also that he reacted so calmly about that. His attitude had changed a little since three of his closest friends had died from drug-related causes. It was a time when Brian really lost the ground beneath his feet and I was there to catch him up and bring him back onto the normal track.

I was standing there completely lost, while Matt had just gone out of the bus to run after Brian.
You really had to be a clairvoyant to know that he did not believe him and actually he was right about this point. Because this little package was mine and I was really embarrassed that it came out during our road trip. I really prayed that Brian wouldn’t lose his place in this band because I certainly wouldn’t forgive myself for that.
If I wouldn’t have stopped the taxi driver, I’d be already on the way home and everything would be still a little peaceful place. I already felt pretty guilty about that but if there was anyone that could change that then it was just me.

“Honey, I’m finally here” I heard Meaghan calling.

“Be right back” I just said before making my way to Brian.

I really didn’t give a single shit about what she was thinking right now. There would still be plenty of time for both of us, but my best friend was more important to me at the moment. So I ran to the front desk and pulled Brian aside.

“Why are you doing this?” I whispered, barely audible to others.

“Everything is solved for me, thanks.”

Brian turned his back on me again and talked to the lady at the front desk. Sometimes he was pretty stubborn guy. Well I knew that too well from myself but if we couldn’t even talk about this, how should the rest go on?!

“Not for me, Brian” I just said tartly and went back outside, where Meaghan seemed to have waited for me.

“What was going on?” she pointed at Brian.

“Nothing” I shook my head “I only wanted to tell him something” I tried to smile and took my bag.

Although I saw how Matt went to Brian now. Oh this story wasn’t finished yet, as Brian may thought. I had a really bad feeling when it came to that.

“Well what are we doing now?”

I heard her words only incidentally, still looking at my best friend who had now started one loud discussion with Matt.

“Um” I looked at her again and tried to focus myself only on her “I’ve heard the town is really beautiful and there is still that present that I had promised my little princess.”

She would be satisfied and wouldn’t dare to ask again about what just happened. Women seemed to love when someone brought them presents, especially if these were really expensive. Now promise is a promise and Bakers keep what they are saying. Next time I would certainly think twice before I make another promise that would cost me a few thousands of dollars.

~ * ~

Two hours later we were still in town and joined Johnny and Lacey at their shopping trip. While the women stopped at any store, we kept our little distance to them. My hands were buried in my pockets, and my thoughts were just about one man – Brian Haner. I couldn’t really stop thinking about the consequences.

“What was actually happening in the bus between Matt and Brian?” Johnny interrupted the silence.

“Nothing really,” I lowered my head again.

“You can’t say nothing when it was hearable even to those people that were outside. Don’t think I’m stupid and please stop hiding everything from me.”

“It was nothing exciting” I shrugged.

“If you call it nothing, ok. Or should I mention that these two stopped talking to each other?”

He could try as hard as he wanted. I would certainly not tell him a single word what was actually going on. I actually shouldn’t be here right now. I should have been with Brian, to cheer him up and distract his thoughts from all the problems. After all, I had an obligation towards to my best friend. He has been there several times, offered me his shoulder or just listened to my problems. And now I could pay the same back to him I left him alone. Even if he had Michelle, but I think that a good friend was the better option right now. Though I seemed to believe slowly that we had left the status of the best friend already. There were feelings that were inexplicable to me and I wanted to be close to him that was clear. I felt comfortable when he was around, my heart pounded faster and I could switch from real world to my own world with Brian.

“Well, that’s it” I raised my eyebrows.

“That’s nice” Meaghan called me and pointed to a necklace.

It was quite simple with just a small expensive extra. It had an 18-carat diamond in the shape of a heart. Now she stood with her hands folded in front of me, looked at me with her puppy eyes until I finally agreed of buying this. Women must had a hidden magic trick to convince almost everyone, though Brian seemed be really good at this too. He just needed to pout and I would do almost everything he asks for. I really had to work to say ‘no’ more often if I didn’t want to be everyone’s slave.

“That is the price you have to pay when you are with someone in that age” Johnny laughed, and seemed to be more relaxed obviously than a few minutes ago.

I just nodded in agreement and paid for the necklace. When that was done her only desire was to go back to the hotel. She was the Meaghan I once met. Once she was satisfied with a present, she wanted to go back home or in that case to the hotel.

The women were gossiping as we kept our distance a little behind like we have had no other choice to follow them.
And I longed for a hot bath and finish that day off with some cold beer at the bar while I hoped that the atmosphere between these two was back to normal.

But reality had me back when I saw that Matt seemed to have been waiting for us already. His face was still as bloody cold as it was before we left.

“There is a small change that I need to tell you” he cleared his throat before he continued, “Brian won’t be part in the upcoming concerts. There are a few reasons that I don’t want to talk about it here, but it has been decided between me, him and a few from our crew. I’ll have a talk later with you Zacky, but I think we will manage that, don’t you think?”

His smile looked faked. The worse scenario happened and Brian was suspended for a few days or weeks. Perfect. Well done, Zacky. Deep inside I could slap myself that I didn’t continue my way to the airport. Anything would have been better now than this situation.
Unmotivated as I was I went back to my room along with Meaghan and found a white envelope placed on the door that had my name on it. I just picked it up and opened the door. Since I already knew that she would disappear for a while in the bathroom, I opened the envelope which included a small note and a hotel card.

, I’ll be waiting for you there. ‘

There was no question from whom it was, but I was not sure if I should follow the invitation. I was curious and right now I didn’t want anything more to spend some time alone with him. So I was taking both hotel cards and just yelled a ‘I’ll be back soon’ before shutting the door behind me.
The room was on the next floor. So without causing any attention I took the stairs, which were just around the corner of my room. I was pretty nervous and my whole body shivered from excitement.

Finally I arrived my destination I opened the door with the card, heard the signal to push open the door and I really couldn’t move right now about what I saw. My jaw dropped down and I was just standing there not knowing what to say right now.