Status: Starting Soon!

Amortentia

Oh Well, Oh Well. Guess I'll see you in Hell.

I nervously hopped onto the boat, trying not to mind the giant, bearded man who was kindly giving us instructions. I was a bit scared to start my first ever year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, especially since I knew nothing about magic, wizardry, witchcraft, and such.

My whole life was spent at an orphanage after my parents had died when I was two years old. It was unknown to me how they had died, but it left me with no family members as both my mum and father had been an only child. It was difficult spending my time alone in a room and being teased by kids and feared by carers for the things I could do. Luckily, the Headmaster of this school, Albus Dumbledore, had rescued me from the place I called Hell and told me what I truly was, and how my parents, too, had magical abilities like me.

Ever since I had discovered this, my intent was to gain even more knowledge on what I am. I had taken a trip with the Headmaster to Diagon Alley where I had purchased robes, spellbooks and textbooks of all sorts. I had found out about Gringotts, the magical bank cared by goblins, where all my money was saved. Unlike in England, the wizarding world didn’t use pounds, but had their own ways of purchase. Copper coins were called Knuts, the silver ones were Sickles, and the gold ones were Galleons.

I expect anything out of the ordinary. I expected people with pointy hats and purple robes with stars and large beards like Dumbledore’s. I expected witches with long noses and icky green skin with moles and warts. But everyone looked completely normal - except for the tall half-giant that was now sending our boats off down the Lake.

I watched the glistening water, smiling at how beautiful it looked with the night sky and stars above right now. It was peaceful compared to the fidgeting and excitement of the other eleven years olds who were racking with nerves.

I suddenly felt a pull on the back of my hair and I turned around to face a long-haired boy with dark, glistening eyes.

I rubbed the back of my head. “What was that for,” I asked.

“I needed to get your attention. You have nice hair, it can’t be natural,” he stated with a smirk.

“What do you mean, ‘can’t be natural?’”

“It’s a burgandy color - hair isn’t normally burgandy,” the boy replied simply.

“Well mine is,” I retorted.

He chuckled. “Sirius Black.”

His hand outstretched to me. I smiled and took it. “Rosemary Evergreen.”

“So, what’s your blood type? Not that it matters,” he asked, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

I furrowed my brows. “Blood-type?”

He shifted a bit closer. “You know, were your parents also wizards?”

I sighed. “Yeah, but they’re - nevermind.”

At first, Sirius didn’t catch on, but he frowned when he did. “I shouldn’t have asked.”

I smiled at him. “It’s okay to be curious, Mr. Long Hair.”

He chuckled and then smirked. “Mr. Long Hair?”

I nodded.

Suddenly, I felt a push behind me. I almost tumbled back and fell off the boat and into the icy waters.

“Damnit,” I cursed, looking behind me to see a black-haired boy with round glasses dying of laughter. “What the bloody hell was that for?”

“First day, first prank,” the new kid managed to say within his laughs. He sighed before wiping a tear from his eye.

“That was nice,” Sirius complimented, high-fiving him.

“I’ve got thousands of pranks up my sleeve.”

I rolled my eyes. “Well watch out, four-eyes. I think I might have to get you back for what you did.”

He raised a brow. “And you think you can simply just prank the master?”

I nodded and grinned.

“James Potter,” he said, introducing himself to us two.

“I’m Sirius, Sirius Black. And she’s Rosemary Evergreen.”

“Pleasure to meet you, even though you almost just launched me a few hundred feet down black water,” I joked.

“I don’t think I should apologize for that because I don’t regret it,” he proudly spoke, lifting his head up.

“She could have been eaten by the Squid,” Sirius complained, laughing.

“Squid,” I asked, startled.

They both nodded. “Rumors are there’s a giant squid that lives in these waters. And he’s not very friendly,” James explained.

“How do I know your pathetic, dimwitted mind didn’t just make that up right now,” I asked.

He gasped and put a hand to his chest. “You don’t believe me,” he asked, faking hurt.

I giggled. “Nope.”

Sirius smirked. “I feel this is going to be the start of a great friendship.”

“Indeed, Black,” I agreed. “Indeed.”

Image

“Black, Sirius!”

I watched as my new friend walked towards the stool confidently. When the Hat was on his head, I could see him biting his lip.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

The Hat was removed from his head and he sighed, smiled, and walked to his new house. Meanwhile, I was still in the crowd standing next to James as I waited for my name to be called.

“Evergreen, Rosemary!”

I walked up to the stool and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the many eyes on me. The Hat touched my head.

No need to be scared, mind you. I may be an old rusty hat but I won’t hurt you.

I opened my eyes, a bit surprised at the sudden voice that entered my head.

Don’t worry, only you can hear me. Now, let’s see. Oh, an Evergreen! This is quite a surprise. Hmm, Gryffindor would do you very well, just like your father. You’re very brave and confident. Rather a prankster, too. But you seem to have a knack for books, and you’re very intelligent. I think I know exactly where you belong.

Before I could react, the hat immediately yelled “RAVENCLAW!”

The hat was removed off my head and I smiled, walking over to the clapping table with the blue banner hanging above them. Sirius smirked and shrugged. I rolled my eyes at him.

The rest of the Sorting was rather slow. Not many eleven year olds were sorted into Ravenclaw, mostly they were put in Gryffindor. James had also entered Gryffindor and was now sitting next to Sirius and two other boys. One was rather short and had beady eyes, and the other one was tall and had shaggy, brown hair with dark eyes.

Once Dumbledore had given his welcomes and we had all eaten, the Beginning of Term Feast was over. The Ravenclaw prefects, which were students who wore badges and got to direct everyone else, told the first years to wait outside and that they would be out in a minute to show us to the Ravenclaw tower, where our dorms were.

I stood outside, leaning against the wall. I was soon joined by Sirius, James, and the other two boys.

“Rosemary, meet Remus and Peter,” James said.

“Hi, I’m Remus,” the tall one answered, giving off a kind smile and outstretching his hand to me. I shook it and smiled.

“Rosemary Evergreen.”

The short one gave off a small smile and nodded. “Peter Pettigrew.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“It sucks you’re not in Gryffindor, y’know,” Sirius stated, leaning back on the wall, next to me.

I nodded. “Oh well, the Hat placed me in the House it knows I’ll do best in.”

“You sound exactly like a Ravenclaw,” Remus said with a chuckle.

I laughed with them when suddenly I felt eyes on me. I turned my gaze to the left to see a boy with long, black hair. His skin was a radiant ivory color, and his eyes were a dark black color. They showed curiosity, coldness, and sorrow.

“Who is that,” I asked, looking to the boy who had glanced away once he realized I had taken notice of him.

Sirius glanced his direction and scoffed. “A damn Slytherin - they’re not worth anything. Just ignore the greasy-haired bloke, he’s probably trying to intimidate you.”

I nodded. “Alright…”

As they continued their chatter, I turned my gaze back to the boy, and our eyes locked for a minute. He didn’t break it this time. I smiled at him, but he didn’t return it. He merely looked away and down to the floor, his gaze remaining hard and bland.

I frowned and turned back to the four boys who were now laughing from what I assumed was a joke. I laughed along, pretending I had heard what they said.

The Ravenclaw prefects soon arrived and we were being directed to the Tower. I said bye to the four, promising I’d see them tomorrow.

When we reached the tower, the girl prefect with blonde hair spoke up. “Alright, the password to the common room is ‘sapientia,’ which is Latin for ‘wisdom’ if you didn’t know.”

The first years nodded and watched as the boy prefect said the password and the portrait swung open. Some students gasped, including me, as we walked into the large room. There were bookshelves and tables. A warm fireplace stood in the corner with several sofas surrounding it. There were two stairs on each side.

The girl prefect led us to the right stair and we walked up, revealing a dormitory. I immediately walked to the bed where I could see my trunks. Not caring that I was still in my jeans and shirt, I shrugged off my robe and plopped onto the bed.

As I attempted to drift off to sleep, knowing there’d be classes tomorrow which meant waking up early, something couldn’t shake off my mind. The boy from earlier was invading my thoughts. I didn’t know what it was about him, but something definitely seemed off.

But Sirius was right. He was a Slytherin, and she had heard enough about them to know they were despicable beings. No, but there was something different there. I knew it. Maybe I was just going crazy, but I could sense it.

There was something captivating about the black-haired boy with the cold eyes.

And I was sure I would find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Before you ask, yes. The title is Mayday Parade.
So this isn't a prologue, but it is. It's an intro to the story, but it's wayyyy too long to be a prologue.
What do you guys think about Rosemary being friends with the Marauders? About her House? Her knowing that something is off with Snape?
Comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated, and mean a lot to me! ♥