Memories From a Dead Girl

Twenty-Four

I took a breath and opened my eyes. My face was pressed against gravel, my legs in the water. I stood up. Everything had looked the same as before, only different, like I was seeing them through new eyes.

Austin's body was propped up against the side of his car.

He was alive.

That's when I heard them.

Sirens.

I started to walk toward Austin, to let him know that I was okay, when I stumbled. I hit the ground and reached out to move whatever had been in my way. That's when I felt my fingers tangle around something.

Hair.

Bile rose in my throat, and I looked behind me.

There was a girl lying in the dirt; a girl with long, black hair who wore a long white shirt. Red blossomed around her middle, where something had struck her, cut into her small body. I sat up and gingerly moved the hair away from her face.

Oh God.

I was staring at myself.

I looked at Austin, and when he lifted his head, I saw the blood. On his face and on his clothes. His face was completely pale, his eyes blank as they fell on my body. He inched toward me —the dead me— and crushed my lifeless body to his.

That's just how the police found him.

So many noises swirled around me, then, when they came and arrested him. But the only thing I wanted to hear was the sound of my own heart beating in my chest.