Memories From a Dead Girl

Thirty-Eight

"This is dangerous," Austin said, but put the Ouija board on the table and sat down. He looked stressed, and I didn't blame him; he must feel terrible about what happened, and not having answers made everything worse.

"It will be okay," Chloe assured him, as she took a seat across from him. "You know how this works, right?"

He looked at her and nodded. "I still say this is a bad idea. What if we open a door?"

In the dim candlelight, Chloe's face looked ghostly. "We want to open a door, Austin. Don't you want to see her again, to find out if she knows anything?"

"Yes. But what if she didn't see anything? She was...I mean...I'm pretty sure that she was dead when I put her into the water."

I knew this hurt Chloe to hear, but she bared the news with dignity. I was proud of her for not leaping across the table and smacking Austin.

"Please stop," she whispered, her voice full of anguish. "I can't have this conversation with you."

She closed her eyes. When she opened them, Austin's head was bent low, and his shoulders shook. I knew that action, though I had only seen it a few times.

Quiet sobs made Austin's body tremble.

Chloe reached across the table and put her hand on his. When he looked up at her, my non-existent heart broke.

He stood and backed away. "I can't do this."

"Please," I said softly, though my words fell on deaf ears, "do this for me. I'm here, Austin. I am. I just need you to help me."

"Please," Chloe murmured. "She needs us."

I closed my eyes, and for a moment I envisioned myself taking Austin's hand. When I opened my eyes, my hand was on his.

I could feel him.