Memories From a Dead Girl

Forty-Five

"I want to show you something."

Austin released her and stepped back. He glanced at the Ouija board, but didn't make a move to touch it. He wouldn't, not anymore, I knew. Whatever pulled me out of him, I could still feel it around his body; it pulsed, blocking entry.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," Chloe hissed.

Austin watched her, his lips curving upward slightly, and he shook his head. "Have you been to the swamp yet?" he wondered.

"The swamp?" Chloe echoed.

"Where she was found."

"No," she answered, narrowing her eyes. "I can't. It's too soon."

"I want to go," Austin replied. "Tonight. And I want you to come with me. Please. I think it will help."

"Help what?" Chloe pressed. "Olivia's already dead. What else will you accomplish by going there? She isn't at that place. She's here, with us, because she doesn't have anywhere else to go."

Austin sighed, then slipped onto the couch, his hand dropping into his hands. "If I were dead, I'd want to know why, you know? I bet that's what she wants, too."

"We all want that," Chloe responded, finally taking a seat next to him. "My sister was supposed to live a good life, become a famous author, but instead—"

Instead I'm trying to piece together the details of my death.