Memories From a Dead Girl

Forty-Nine

Chloe stepped into the water, her long, white dress and black hair a startling contrast as she passed me. It was almost like something was pulling her in. But I knew what she was doing half a second before she decided, and I couldn't stop her.

"Hey!" Austin shouted. "What the hell are you doing?"

Chloe turned her head. "I want to see if it's true, if her memories are still here. I want to know what happened to my sister, and the only way is to—"

I rose from my spot. "Stop."

But she couldn't hear me, of course.

Austin was a blur as he rushed by me. When he slammed into Chloe, she lost her footing and fell into the water. He didn't give her time to yell, because he wrapped his arms around her in a bone crushing hug, then dragged her back.

"I'm not there," I whispered, kneeling down beside her once they were by the car. "You were right. I'm with you. You're the only one I have left."

I tried to touch her, like I had with Austin. My fingers found hers and gripped tightly. When I heard her intake of breath, I looked at her face. She was staring right at me, or where I would be if I was a physical being.

But there was something in her gaze that flooded me with relief.

"Olivia."

It was one word, but for now, it was enough.