Memories From a Dead Girl

Sixty-Four

Machines beeped rhythmically next to Austin's sedated body. I stood next to his bed, while Chloe paced by the door, her eyes narrowed. I know she was regretting saving him, but she didn't really have a choice.

"He's going to be okay," she said to the room. "He's going to live and tell me what happened to my sister, and then I'm going to kill him for real."

I laughed, not sure if she was kidding. But I suspected she wasn't. When a nurse came in to check on Austin, she told Chloe that he would be out for a few more hours, and that she should call his family. Chloe didn't.

The doctors asked her what happened, but she could never tell them the truth, so she just said that he was mugged outside of her apartment.

They seemed to believe her.

I looked over at Chloe, and for a moment her eyes slid to mine, and I waited. Waited for her to say something. But she didn't.

"Why did you show that to me?" she asked suddenly. Her voice caught. "He just let you die, Olive. No wonder you're still here. You should have closure now, because you know what happened. You know that he's not the person we thought he was."

I knew she wasn't talking to me, not really, but I answered anyway.

"I'm still here to find out why," I muttered. "He let me die, and before we could find out why, you stabbed him. Not that I blame you, after what you found out."

Chloe's eyes widened, and I thought she heard me, but then there was a groan from behind me.

It was Austin.

He was awake.

Chloe stepped closer to the bed, her eyes hard, and her jaw set. She'd had enough. It was time to end this.