Come Back to Me

How did you find me?

Tom and I take a seat with Alex and Mel. I can feel a headache coming on from hearing Mel's irritating desperate laughter.

"So since Tom probably hasn't asked, what do you do for a living?" Alex asks and I look at Tom, who laughs and shrugs his shoulders.

"Hey man I'm nervous!" He adds, making Alex laugh.

"I'm just a beautician. Nothing exciting, just massages, nails and stuff." Alex looks at Tom and raises his left eyebrow.

"Funny..." Alex whispers. "Tom, why don't you tell Amy what you do?"

I look at Alex puzzled, why is that funny?

"Ha. I'm a chiropractor."

"Is that similar to a beautician?" Mel asks.

"Not the exact same but near enough." Alex answers.

"Imagine that.." I mumble.

There is silence for a minute or so. I need to ask the question, I just have to.

"So, how did you find me?" I ask, desperately needing to know. Tom shuffles in his seat.

"Well, I had help." He gently slaps Alex's back and smiles.

"Alex is a cop. He helped approve the CCTV footage, and help me find the address."

"CCTV footage? I ask.

"Yeah, before I could get Alex's help, it took me a while to get hold of the footage. They wouldn't let me see it, mom and dad weren't even allowed to watch it, weird."

"What's on it?" I ask.

"It shows a lot like mom going into the delivery room, dad leaving a few times, leaving for 10 minutes at a time, then a couple sneak in and take you. And they leave with you. It looked easy, mom said she was asleep and there were no nurses around."

"Oh.." I whisper. I look down at my mug of hot tea.

"Anyway, after fighting for the footage Alex helped me out. We found your address, and hoped for the best."

I nod.

"I know this is a lot to take in, I mean, I can't believe I'm sitting here with my twin sister. It doesn't feel real."

"No, it doesn't." I add, a little too hastily.

"But it is." He whispers.

This whole time I can still feel Alex's eyes on me.

"So your a cop?" Mel asks Alex. Finally his eyes shift from me to Mel.

"Yeah." He takes a sip of his coffee. "I also do photography, just when I can."

"Wow, what kind of photography?" Mel asks. This must be the most I've heard her talk since her break up. Maybe it's good for her.

"Events, scenery, family photos, that sort of thing."

"He's damn good at it too." Tom adds.