Come Back to Me

Did he notice?

"Hi! Smells amazing!" Mel says as Alex turns to face us.

"Ladies, hope you're hungry!" Alex's eyes are fixed on Mel's dress, and for a second I feel annoyed. Why isn't he looking at me? I made an effort too. His eyes drift up and down at Mel, and then finally he looks at me and smiles. I feel all warm inside when he smiles, showing off his white teeth which is the first thing I noticed when we first bumped into each other at Starbucks. I should really snap out of it, Mel clearly likes him even though I saw him first.

"What would you like to drink? We have red and white wine, beer, and vodka." Tom asks as he opens the fridge door.

"I'll have a beer please." He hands me a cold bottle of Budweiser.

"Can I have red wine please?" Mel asks.

"Of course!" Tom says politely and pours her a glass. He is still smiling. He then takes a beer for himself and kicks the fridge door shut.

"You guys take a seat through there.." Tom points to the dinner table set up in the living room. "We'll be through in a jiffy."

Mel and I take a seat and wait for our food. Candles are lit and there is music silently playing in the background.

"So, do you think Alex noticed?" Mel asks. "My dress?"

"Oh, yeah I think so." I wish he didn't.

"He looks good in that jumper! Don't you think? Tom looks nice too. Very smart."

"Yeah I guess he does."

"Are you ok?" She asks. "You seem a little quiet."

"I'm nervous." I whisper. I'm nervous and annoyed. I'm nervous about tom, what we'll discuss, scared for what will happen to my parents, annoyed that Mel has spent her time fussing over what to wear rather than let me to talk to her about how I feel about this whole thing, annoyed that Alex clearly has an attraction to her. I guess men should be the last thing on my mind at the moment.

"Hey, you'll be fine. Just be yourself." Mel gives my hand a squeeze.

Alex and Tom come out from the kitchen carrying plates.

"For you.." Alex says as he sits down my plate. "And you Mel." Mel gives him a big smile.

"Alex, looks amazing man!" Tom says as he takes a seat across from me and Alex sits beside him across from Mel.