Come Back to Me

Twin thing

I'm happy when Mel starts talking about herself. Takes the pressure off me. She is twirling her hair in her finger as she speaks, and flirtatiously batting her eyelashes at Alex. Tom is mesmerised by her, I think Alex is too.

"So how long have you two been friends?" Alex asks.

"A few years, right amy?"

"Yeah, around 3 I think."

"So, you've been roommates for 3 years? Alex and I have only shared for 6 months." Tom asks.

""Well, no. She moved in a little while ago. She.." I feel Mel kick my leg as I was about to tell them that her relationship ended.

"Anyway.. Do you like sharing?" Mel asks, changing the subject.

"He's a messy pig." Alex jokes. "Seriously.. Are you messy, amy?"

"Not really, am I?" I ask Mel.

"Nope, not at all."

"So it's not a twin thing then..."

"I'm not messy!" Tom hits back. "You're just a clean freak!"

"So Alex, how do you like being a cop?" Mel asks, changing the subject again.

"He's actually a detective.. I always say he's a cop to wind him up." Tom adds.

"Wow,really? So, detective..what's your last name?" Mel asks.

"Miller.."

"Detective miller! Got a good ring to it! Do you like being a detective?"

"Yeah, it pays the bills I guess. Got its downsides though."

"Like?"

"You know.. Murders..that kind of stuff.." He says sarcastically and I smile. Mel is trying to be cute, but I don't think he's fooled.

"What do you do Mel?" Alex asks.

"I work in a gym. Reception, that kind of stuff."

"Oh! I got something for you!" Tom suddenly remembers and hurries off into the hall. He comes back and places a photo on the table in front of me.

"That's you on the left.." It's a picture of 'our' mom and dad. Mom is holding us in each arm.

"An hour old! Apparently I came out first, there were complications with you though, you almost came out butt first! But you finally came out the right way up!"

"Wow.. So you're older.." I joke.

"By five minutes!"

An hour later of chatting and Tom takes Mel upstairs to his room, impressing her with his apparently impressive DVD collection. Alex goes into the kitchen to get a few more bottles of beer and comes back in, pointing to the couch and sitting the bottles on the side table.

He opens a bottle for me as I take a seat beside him on the couch.

"So, calmed down yet?' He asks.

"What do you mean?"

"You seemed pretty nervous earlier."

"I was, still am. I feel a little, I don't know."

"A little what?" He asks, curious. He has his arm leaning behind my head on the couch, stretched out.

"A little lost, I guess. I don't know what to do. I don't feel like it's real." I can feel his eyes on me as I speak. I feel like I can talk to him, I don't know why, maybe because he's toms best friend, I can trust him, I think.

"About tom? Or the parent situation?"

"Both. He wants me to meet them. I can't do that right now."

"He's excited. This is the happiest I've seen him in a long time. You'll know when you're ready. What about the other 'parents'?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I have no clue. What would you do? Talk to them? Or just leave, tell the police?" Alex sighs and rests his head back on the couch, looking up at the ceiling.

"Well from our point if view they kidnapped you. But, from your point of view, they raised you. I can't tell you what I would do cause I've never been in that situation. But, what they did was wrong and they are still wanted."

"They are?" I ask, dumbfounded. "After all this time?" He raises his shoulders slightly and raises an eyebrow.

"Course they are. It doesn't matter how much time has passed by, they stole you. Can you imagine how much of an impact that had on your family? Huge impact. The search went on for a long time. From what I've read, they were good at hiding."

"So, you think I should tell the police?"

"Maybe your actually parents will, once they find out."

"Can I at least talk to them before that happens? Ask them? I think I deserve answers." He nods and takes a sip of beer.

"You do deserve answers, but so do your actual parents, and Tom."

"Ok.."

"Hey. How weird is it that we met at Starbucks?" He asks, smiling and biting his bottom lip. He looks good when he does that.

"Pretty weird. You were almost wearing my tea." He throws his head back laughing.

"Yeah.. Man I had no clue that it was you. It made sense though."

"What made sense?"

"You looked sad, distracted."

"Yeah, I was that."