Come Back to Me

Boyfriend?

Tom and Mel are in the kitchen giggling like a bunch of baboons. Alex and I are sitting on the couch, but we're not talking. It suddenly hits me that we've not spoke since we hugged. I'm on my phone, looking through my calendar to see if I've got things to do back in New York. I completely forgot that mom was going to hospital in two days and dad was to accompany her. That means I can sneak in to get photos.

"Are you mad at me?" I startle ask Alex talks.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"For showing you those cards?" I don't know what I'm angry at, the cards, the hug, Alex and Mel..

"No, of course not." I lie.

"You just seem a little off, that's all."

"Well what else am I supposed to be?" I snap. I'm hating the fact that I'm expected to be happy that I'm reunited with my 'family'. It's all a big shock and too much information to process. I think I'm entitled to be a little off. Alex smiles slightly and looks away.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to go back home, by myself, to think. I just need something normal.." I apologise. I shouldn't take it out on him.

"I get what you mean. You must feel like your head is going to explode."

"Yeah.." I whisper.

"Do you have a boyfriend back home?" Alex suddenly asks, throwing me off guard.

"Uh, no..I don't." He nods and looks away,then rests his head back and stares up at the ceiling.

"Why?" I ask, afraid of the answer.

"I just wondered, you just strike me as the type who would."

"I strike you as the type to have a boyfriend?" I ask, not sure where he's going with this. He rolls his eyes and looks at me.

"Your pretty.. I mean." I blush and run my hand through my hair.

"Pretty? What happened to 'beautiful??" I joke, and then feel stupid for saying it. Alex goes bright red and laughs.

"Ah, Tom told you??" He shakes his head, scrunching up his forehead. This is the first I've seen him go shy.

"Yeah, he did.."

"Damn... Your not what I thought by the way. I've tried to vision what you would look like, while Tom was searching for you. I didn't expect you to look like this.." Alex looks at me with these deep brown eyes, and I stare at him back, wondering what he's thinking, who does he like, Mel, me? Or is he a player, getting every girl to fall for him?