Come Back to Me

Restricted

I love that this car is a convertible. The weather is so nice and I feel a nice breeze hit me as Tom drives. During the trip Alex takes a few snaps with his Instagram camera that Mel was telling me about, it may as well be a Polaroid, does the same thing. Occasionally he turns round and points it towards Mel and I. I pretend not to notice and admire the view, Mel on the other hand is posing. I can just imagine what the pictures will look like, Mel looking happy and bouncy and me looking completely miserable. I don't want to pose for the camera, the thought of going back home is daunting. NewYork is my home, but only because it's where I was raised through no choice of my own, by a pair of convicted thieves. California is Toms home, and it should be mine too, If I choose to make it mine..

"Hey, Tom?" I want to to ask, but at the same time I'm terrified.

"Yeah?"

"Do you have pictures of family, on your iPhone?"

"Course I do, here." He digs his phone from his pocket and passes it over while concentrating on the road. As I look at his phone I know Alex has turned to watch me, pointing that stupid camera. I press photos and see a whole bunch of albums. One folder is named 'Family'. I hesitate before pressing it. Once I do a whole bunch, hundreds of photos appear. A lot of mom and dad together. It feels weird calling them that. There are people here that I don't recognise, and As if toms been reading my mind he says "We have cousins, uncles and aunts in those photos too incase your wondering."

"Who's the dog?' I ask noticing a black Labrador.

"That's Bango. We've had him for five years now. We have a cat too."

I've never had a pet. It wasn't allowed. I then realise just how restricted my life has been. All the times I was told no, you can't go to that party, no prom, no birthdays and no christmas. Why has it only hit me now, that it was wrong? My upbringing has been cruel, not worth living. My dad hardly ever spoke to me, he was always an his chair smoking his cigar and grunting occasionally. Most of time he ever spoke to me was to tell me no. But in these photos the family look so close, they love each other.