Come Back to Me

Phone call

When I wake up at 7am, because Tom and I are going to the house at 8, I grab my pink house coat and head downstairs. Tom isn't in the living room, but I can hear voices coming from the kitchen.

"What time are you going, want me to come?" Alex asks Tom.

"Yeah, sure man. She's nervous about it though. They shouldn't be in which is what she's hoping for." Tom answers.

"Do you think she'll be ok?" Alex asks. Pffffft.. As if he cares.

"I don't know. It's been a rough few weeks for her, I'm hoping it all goes smoothly. You seem worried about her Alex, is this you growing feelings??" Tom asks laughing. I can hear Alex hit him.

"Haha! Very funny man! Course I'm worried about her, why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason...." Tom answers and I can hear him whistle sarcastically.

"What?" Alex asks. "What is it?"

"Nothing..." Tom Answers. I whisper to myself and plead that tom doesn't tell Alex what I said last night.

"Your hiding something!"

"No I'm not. We'll maybe. But no, I'm not telling."

"Seriously? Come on, tell me."

"Well.. I just thought that you liked...." Just at that my phone rings, I curse silently and run back up the stairs. If I grab the phone it'll be too obvious that u over heard. I'll let tom answer it.

"Hello?" Damn, Alex answered. "Um, I think she's asleep, hold on.. Who's calling? Oh, um, just a sec..." I can hear whispering.

"Amy?" Alex shouts.

"Yeah?" I ask, acting dumb as I head down the stairs like I've just woken up.

"Your mom..." He says looking worried and hands me the phone. Tom is standing behind him watching impatiently. Still on the stairs, I lift the phone to my ear.

"Hi.." I act casual. "What's up?"

"Where have you been, I've been trying to call you the last few days?"

"I took a short holiday.."

"Would have been nice to have been informed amy!" She tells me off.

"Sorry.. What's wrong?" Alex and Tom are standing next to each other watching me. Tom then jumps up on the stair next to me and signals for me to put it on loud speaker. I sigh and do as he says.

"You were supposed to take me to the hospital yesterday!"

"Oh, was I?" ask, I honestly forgot.

"Your father and I are going to the hospital today. We have already organised a driver, I take it you don't want to offer to take us instead?" I look at Tom and Alex, not knowing what to say. Tom shakes his head and whispers no, no way.

"I can't, I'm, working.." I lie.

"I thought you were off for 2 weeks??"

"I was called in, today, I'm going in this morning.." I stutter, she knows I'm lying.

"Fair enough. We're leaving in 10 minutes. I'll call you later."

"Ok.. Bye.." She never says she'll call me later.

"Wow! She sounds like a treat!" Tom jokes. I hand him the phone and sigh, finally going downstairs.

"Boiled the kettle for you." Alex says. Good of him..

"Thanks." I walk past him and into the kitchen to make a cup of tea. Tom runs upstairs to the toilet and Alex follows me into the kitchen. He leans on the counter behind me as I make my tea. My back is facing him, I don't even acknowledge that he's there.

"Thanks for letting me stay. Really handy for work."

"That's ok." I turn round and face him, wondering if he'll say anything about Mel.

"Do you mind me coming along this morning?"

"Nope.." I whisper, staring down at my tea.

"Are you ok?" He asks.

"Yeah I'm fine."

"Have I done anything to annoy you? I get the feeling that you're annoyed with me." Before I get a chance to answer him, Mel comes bursting in the kitchen.

"Hey guys!! Hey you!" She says to Alex, squeezing his arm as she passes by. I glare at him and leave the kitchen.