Come Back to Me

We need to go

Tom stops the car outside the house.

"Ok, keep your phone with you. We'll keep an eye out incase they come back early. They shouldn't though, right?" Tom asks.

"No, they shouldn't" I say, staring at the house.

"Amy, you don't have to.." Alex reminds me. I ignore him and get out the car.

"I won't be long." I say, and walk to the front door and unlock it. All I can smell is cigar smoke and it reminds me of growing up here. I head on upstairs to the attic with my back pack that I took with me. Once I'm in I find the same box I found the newspaper article in. I grab it and shove it in my bag. I need photos.. There are loads of boxes up here. Finally I find one labeled 'photos' which has been taped shut, they obviously have no interest in photos. I find a pen lying on the floor and use it to cut open the tape. The box is full of photos..there must be over 200 photos in here and they're not all of me. Family portraits, photos of kids school pictures and the back of every photo someone has scribbled a date. 1967, 1976, 1957. More and more of them with dates,but who are these children? I find a random box next to it and open it. It's full of newspaper articles, headlining ''Child goes missing', and 'Child found'. More of them, deaths, family devastated. One of the newspaper articles has a picture of a little boy found dead In The 70's, to my left on the floor are the photos I dropped, one of them looks identical to this little boy in the paper. I suddenly feel sick and fall back on the floor. No, it can't be possible.

"Amy?" I scream as Alex enters the attic. "Calm down, what's wrong??" He kneels down and holds my shoulders keeping me steady. I can't breath.

"Amy look at me." I look at Alex with tears running down my cheeks.

"Tell me, what's wrong?"

"We need to get out of here..." He looks down at the photos.

"Alex.. They.. They killed all these kids.. We have to go..." Alex picks up a photo, and looks at the newspaper article.

"Shit..." He whispers as he looks in the box full of photos. I jump as my phone rings.

"What?" I ask, not even sure who's on the phone.

"You need to leave, they're back!!!" Tom warns me.

"Shit!!" I hang up. "They came home early.." Alex and I grab a bunch of photos and the old newspapers, and I quickly grab a photo album that I saw lying in the corner of the attic.

"Come on!!" Alex grabs my hand and the bag and we run down the stairs. But it's too late, they are opening the front door.

"Hide!!" I push Alex in the dining room and I run in the kitchen, calming myself down and looking as if I've only just popped in to see how they are.

"Amy." She says, looking confused. "What are you doing here??"

"I felt bad that it forgot to take you to the hospital yesterday. His did it go?" I ask, still feeling nervous and out of breath.

"It went ok. Have you been running? You looked flushed."

"Yeah, I went jogging.."

"With your normal clothes on? You'd better go home and change."

"Yeah I think I might do that.." I quickly walk past them, quickly thinking of what to do about Alex. Dad sits in his chair and lights his cigar. Mom grabs a pile of washing and it looks like she is heading upstairs with it. I look up and notice we left the attic door open.

"Mom!!" I yell, distracting her from going upstairs.

"What??"

"Just leave that! I'll do it." I try to take the towels off of her but she won't give them up.

"Don't be silly, I'll do it."

"Oh um!!! I meant to ask.." I say, not sure what to ask. She stops and turns to face me, sighing.

"Yes?" She asks impatiently. Dad coughs loudly, I turn to look at him but when I turn back she has already started upstairs. I can see Alex peaking out and I point upstairs. He swears under his breath. I can hear the creeks coming from upstairs, and the attic door closing. She knows. She comes downstairs slowly, and when I look at her something has changed in her. Her mannerisms have changed, her face doesn't look as old, it looks different, like a shield has came down and it's showing how she really looks. Her walk is different, she looks like she's in a daze. She must have saw the photos. We didn't manage to pick up every one, we left a few scattered on the floor.