Come Back to Me

Shooting

She stands so close to me as if she can smell the deception.

"What have you been doing here, before we arrived?" She asks.

"Nothing." I shake my head, acting clueless. Usually works, but not this time, she is very suspicious and for the first time ever I think I may actually be frightened of her. Her whole demeanour has changed. She came across as this fragile old bitter woman, and now she somehow looks younger, in control, and angry.

"I just wanted to see how you were, that's all." From the corner of my eye I can see Alex peaking out from the dining room, he should never have come in. I don't know how to do this, how do I leave without them seeing Alex.

"Did you find the photos for your school reunion?" She asks.

"Huh?" I ask. Suddenly I remember I gave her that excuse the first time I read toms letter. "Oh, yeah, I did."

"You've forgotten?" She asks. She's on to me.

"No, it's next week.. I have all the photos."

"Well where are they?"

"Umm.. At home.."

"So you weren't in that attic for the photos earlier?"

"Oh, yeah I was looking for more.. I couldn't find any good ones.." I keep stuttering, she knows I'm lying and if she knows that I have learned about her 'killings' then there is no way she's letting me walk out of here.

"Amy, take a seat." She points to the chair next to dad.

"No.." I whisper. There is no way I'm sitting down.

"I said take a seat, now!!" She snaps. I slowly take a few steps back towards the front door.

"Amy.." Before she gets to finish her sentence the front door practically gets knocked down, nearly landing on my head.

"Police,freeze!!!!" She runs down in the hall into the kitchen, and the next thing I hear are gunshots, not coming from the police, coming from her. She's fast. Everyone ducks, diving for cover, I see him, my dad leaping from his chair, his cigar falling from his mouth and running to the kitchen to her. She fires more shots, screaming at the top of her lungs. I then hear a shot being fired, and i literally hear it fly past my head. And more, lots more, is she aiming at me? I dive behind the table.

"Amy!!!!" She shouts. I try to peak at her from the side of the table but she spots me, and deliberately points the gun my way, firing again. I dodge it, leaning as low as possible. I scream, hearing the bullets whiz by my ear.

"Amy!!" Alex yells. I can't even look at him, I have my arms shielding my head.

"Look at me!!" He shouts over the noise. As I look up everything looks like slow motion. I can see her shouting as she fires, the police are hiding, constantly ducking and diving from the bullets, yelling instructions to each other. Before my eyes meet Alex, I see him, my so called dad picking up a gun, from where I don't know. Is this house full of guns?? The pair then fire continuously. I finally look at Alex, too afraid to move, too afraid to even flinch incase I get hit. Alex is safe, the stairs are blocking him. I then see Alex's looking out the front door. I look, noticing Tom peering in, shouting something.

"Tom get the hell away!!" Alex yells. Tom is yelling at me to run to him. I can't, it's too risky. A bullet hits the door frame right next to toms head.

"Shit!!" Alex yells. He stands up and runs to the front door, diving on. Tom and landing in the outside garden. I can hear Tom yelling my name. How can five police officers be losing against an old couple?? A cop gets hit, he falls to the ground right next to me. He's still and I can see blood coming from his neck. I notice his gun on the floor. I get flashbacks of learning to fire a gun at a shooting range a few years ago with an ex boyfriend. From what i remember I was pretty good at it. But now isn't the time to be a hero, I might be completely hopeless and get myself shot.