Come Back to Me

Why did you do it

I can't believe this is happening. I didn't know they had guns and bullets buried everywhere in the house, and in the kitchen. I look at the front door, I can't see Alex and Tom. The cops are losing, one has been killed, I think, and another has been shot in the leg. One cop is hiding behind the wooden barrier in the living room, the barrier I once hit my head off when I was little. Another cop is hiding behind his cigar smelling chair. I can't see the other. Suddenly the shooting stops, and I think for a second that they have been shot. I slowly raise my head to check it out. The cops are still in the same position, pointing their guns, looking at each other wondering why all of a sudden they've stopped. I'm looking at the front door, it's around 10 steps from where I am right now. I could make it, the firing has stopped.. I slowly crawl from behind the table, hesitating at first because I'll be out in the open. I look up at the cop, he looks down at me and shakes his head, I can't go. I crawl back behind the table and wait. I hear the back door closing, have they left? The cops slowly edge forward, stepping into the kitchen, there's not many hiding places in the kitchen, so they must be out.

"Have they left?" I hear an officer ask his colleague. Suddenly I hear shots and screams, I look up and notice them crouching in pain, they've been shot in the kneecaps. But I do notice that he has been shot, lying still with blood spreading on the floor. It's only her now.

"Alex!!!!" I yell at the top of my lungs. It's only me now. I can't make it to the front door, the stairs are closer. She points the gun at me and shoots and I leap from the table to the stairs, it's a miracle that I managed to doge the bullets.

"Amy!!!" I hear Alex and Tom, but it's soon drowned out by the shots this crazy woman is firing. I run upstairs, not sure which room to hide in, the attic door is thick and has a lock, that'll do. I hope it's not too high, I could climb out the window and jump.

I hear the attic door handle turning. And then boom, she shoots at it making me scream. I've got 2 options, jump, or be shot.

"Well well. Just the two of us!" She says sarcastically as she points the gun at me.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask. Suddenly, Alex and a bunch of cops come running in and she points the gun to my head, hiding behind me for cover.

"Shoot me I'll shoot her!!" I see Tom in amongst them. He has blood on his arm, he's been shot.

"Let her go!" Alex demands. "Your all alone now, give up."

"Never. So, you seen the photos then??" She asks me and digs the gun hard into my temple. I flinch at the pain.

"I bet you're curious as to why we did it.."

"A little.." I whisper.

"Just count yourself lucky we didn't kill you."

"Then why did you take me?" I ask. I need to know.

"We took you because our lives were empty. We needed something, anything to make us feel, normal."

"Normal? Stealing a baby is normal?" Tom shouts. Her grip gets tighter.

"And who are you??" She asks.

"Her twin brother."

"Why haven't you grown.. I remember you. We wanted a girl.. Sorry."

Tom steps forward but Alex stops him.

"Why did you kill them? Those kids... Why?" I ask, pointing my head to the box of photos.

"A hobby.." As she speaks, I try to catch Alex's attention. Once he has it, I look down to my right jeans pocket and slowly pull out a gun, the gun I took from the cop downstairs after he was killed. I look back up at him, he's holding the gun tightly, his eyes are full of dread and he slowly shakes his head. He doesn't like the plan, but I feel like I have no other choice. She will shoot me, I need to fight back.