Come Back to Me

Bye!

Over the next couple of days I've kept myself to myself. I've hardly seen Alex, he has kept well away. He hasn't once knocked my door to check on me. I suppose I should be grateful that I can finally be on my own in my room, but I'm also furious that he doesn't seem that worried. Occasionally I've sneaked to the stairs to listen, every night I've heard him and Mel talking downstairs, laughing as they watch tv, I hate hearing her giggle, I wonder what he's doing to make her giggle. Mel hasn't really paid much attention to me. Since she heard of Alex's bravery, she hasn't left his side. He has been at work and comes home at around 10pm and boom, Mel is there waiting on him with a bottle of beer. I'm disappointed in Mel, all those times I helped her, gave her a roof over her head and what has she done for me? I hate that she's so pretty sometimes. For a minute I think that sounds lame, I'm clearly jealous.

It's 7pm and I am in my bedroom watching a movie. Mel knocks on the door, letting herself in. Damn, I should have locked it.

"Hey you.." She says, very gently spoken.

"Hey."

She comes in and I notice that she is dressed up.

"Are you ok?" She asks. "Haven't seen you.."

"What do you think?" I ask.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"So now you want to talk? Mel, it happened four days ago and you have hardly spoke a word to me. If anything you've been hanging around Alex the hero like a lost puppy."

She is standing looked bewildered. She shrugs her shoulders and touches her curly hair.

"I'm sorry..i.. I never thought."

"No, you didn't."

"Well, I'm here if you want to talk.."

"Well I don't want to talk, so.. Bye" I snap. She turns and staggers to the door, clearly unable to walk in those high heels. She turns before she leaves.

"I'm going out tonight, if you feel better you can come?"

"No thanks." She rolls her eyes and slowly closes the door behind her. I finally get the house to myself.. Once I hear her leave I head downstairs, I've not been down stairs that often in the last four days. Only to get juice, and a few food items. As I pass the mirror before the kitchen I catch a glimpse of myself. I look gaunt and as I lift my top notice that I have lost weight. I don't look like me, I look like someone else. I better start eating.. In the fridge there is cold pizza, Alex must have brought some in last night after his work. It'll do as long as I heat it up in the microwave I guess. Once I do that I grab some orange juice and sit on the couch that Alex has been sleeping in. He leaves soon to go back to California, I think. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I think I'll miss him. I feel bad that I haven't spoken to him, not even told him thank you for saving my life. But I think he understands.. I hope he does. He's kept the living room tidy which is a good thing, and there are new DVDs lying on the table that I hadn't noticed before. Alex and Mel must have been watching these the last few nights. Would explain her giggling.