Come Back to Me

How are you?

An hour into the movie and I am lying on the couch with Alex's cover over me. It smells good, smells like Alex. When I turn on the couch, I notice something under the table, a small brown box. Could belong to Alex, He won't know if i open it. As I open it I realise that this is where he keeps his Polaroid pictures. Tom was right, he's pretty good at using a camera. Pictures of Alex and Tom, random pictures of beer bottles, a guitar, the beach, toms Mini Cooper, pictures of Mel Alex and Tom from the night that I left early. Alex asleep on the couch that night, maybe he did after all sleep on the couch and Mel slept in his bed. It makes me feel a little more at ease I guess. Then there's pictures of the road trip, a lot of the scenery, tom driving, and me, pic after pic is me sitting in the back seat, staring at the view, looking lost in thought. I was so nervous coming home that day and it showed. I look wind swept as the car roof was down, I don't look a mess, I actually think I look quite pretty with my hair blowing all over the place. He must have used a setting on the camera but each picture has different effects, one is black and white, a few are Sepia. I look nothing like that girl, only four days after. I've felt so tired since that day, my nightmares have been getting worse as the days pass. The baby screaming gets louder and louder, louder than it's ever been. And the gun shots, that's a new one to my nightmare, gun shots and the noise of the bullet flying last me and hitting her in the head, the feeling of falling back and landing on her. I wish they would stop. As I look through the photos the front door swings open. It's Alex, he's early. I panic, and try it get the pictures back in the box before he notices.

"Hey!" He sounds happy to see me, even though I'm rooting through his stuff.

"Hi.. I was just watching a movie, and I noticed.."

"You like the photos?" He interrupts. He takes his coat off and loosens his tie. He's wearing a grey shirt with dark grey pants, and a black tie.

"Yeah, you're really talented." He smiles as he throws his tie on the chair. His badge is clipped to his pants.

"I'm gonna go for a shower.." He goes upstairs and I lie down and sigh with relief. I thought he would be mad I was going through his photos, he seems happy that I saw them. As I watch the movie I hear Alex come downstairs, the light is off but the lamp is on. He is wearing only a towel wrapped round his waist. My jaw almost hits the floor.. Oh my! I didn't think he was that toned. His skin looks so tanned, smooth and silky. His body is still wet, and he is looking through his case for clothes, not even noticing that I am in complete awe. I force myself to look away.

"Do you mind if I get dressed in your bedroom?" He asks, holding a pair or black bottoms.

"It's ok I'm just going to go to bed anyway, you can dress in here." I sit up and throw the cover off me, but Alex runs over and pulls the cover back on, pushing me down.

"No no, stay where you are!! I've not seen you in what seems like forever, watch the movie, I'll be down in a sec." He runs upstairs to get dressed. I don't want company.. He comes back down and goes into the kitchen grabbing a beer.

"I would offer you a beer but you've hardly ate anything so it'll probably go straight to your head!" He sits on the couch next to where my feet are.

"I've had pizza.." I whisper. A beer actually sounds good.

"So you found the pizza?"

"What do you mean found?" I ask.

"I got it last night, left the rest for you, I know you've been in the kitchen while I've been at work.. Thought I would make it easy for you and just leave you pizza."

"Oh.."

"Do you want a beer?" He asks, offering me the bottle he just opened. I stare at him for a second as he stares back at me, holding out the beer. I'm kinda tired.. But it looks cold and icy.

"Sure.." I grab the beer and take a sip. Alex gets up and heads to the kitchen to grab another for himself. He sits back down, and my feet are touching his leg.

"So.. How are you?" He asks.

"Fine." I hear him sighing as he takes a gulp.

"Toms worried about you."

"He doesn't have to be worried,I'm fine."

"Amy your not fine. You've been In bed for the last four days, you've hardly ate and you're loosing weight that you can't afford to drop."

As he talks I peel at the corners of the sticker stuck to the bottle.

"He's worried, I'm worried, Mel's worried.."

"Mel?" I ask. "She hasn't said a word to me since it happened. She hasn't even asked how I am. And you think she's worried? No, I think she's too busy thinking about something or someone else.." Alex sits up straight and looks at me with his head tilted, like he's examining my reaction.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asks. I shake my head and kick myself for saying it.

"Nothing."