Come Back to Me

I like him

I can hear Alex's voice, and a gentle shake on my shoulder. When I open my eyes, Alex is sitting next to me, holding my shoulder. The first thing I see are big brown eyes staring down at me. It's nice to wake up to them in the morning.

"Morning sleepy head. Sit up, I made breakfast." I do as he says as he lifts the tray and sits it on my lap. Scrambled egg on toast with tea.

"Eat up, you need it." Alex is sitting watching me.

"Why are you looking at me?" I ask curiously as I take a bite. He smiles and looks down at the breakfast.

"Just want to make sure you actually eat it.."

"I will, don't worry."

"Tom called. He's asking or you."

"Is he ok?" I ask.

"Yeah, he sounded happy enough. He said he might speak to his parents this Friday.."

"What?" I ask. "Seriously?"

"He wants to do it. I told him that maybe he should let you get better first though, some time. Typical tom doesn't listen. But anyway, I have to go to work today. I'll be home tonight, promise me you'll have dinner!" My heart almost melts that he is concerned about me. I nod and smile, watching him smiling back at me with those white teeth sends shivers down my spine. I lift the tray off my lap and set it to the side, lean forward and grab him, giving him a big hug. His skin feels so warm and soft.

"what's this for?" He asks as he wraps his arms around me. I bury my face into his neck and squeeze.

"Thank you for taking care of me." I whisper. I actually feel more normal, like I can actually get better. Alex's grip tightens, and I suddenly realise that I don't want him to go to work. I want him to stay here with me today, just lie in bed and talk and sleep and cuddle. He makes me feel safe, and I could stare into his big brown eyes all day, and the fact that he doesn't have long left in New York just turns my stomach. I just wish he didn't see me as just Toms sister.

"Don't worry about it. I just want you to get better." We stay like this for a few minutes, and when we finally pull away from each other he plants a soft gentle kiss on my forehead and touches my cheek with his hand.

"See you tonight. Call me if you need me." I nod and look up at him as he pulls his hand away from my cheek. I just want to tell him how I feel, but I can't. I couldn't do that to Mel either, I don't know what's going on with those two but something clearly is. I just wish it were me.

"Alex!" I say as he leaves my bedroom. He turns to face me.

"Yeah?"

"Nothing,l have a good day at work." I say, hesitating. I don't even know what i would have said. Alex, I like you?