Come Back to Me

Do you like him?

After I finish my breakfast I go for a quick shower and wash my hair while I'm at it. I don't know why, but I really want to straighten it and put some make up on, wear something nice. Just for a change, but I know deep down that it's for Alex. Am I wanting to impress him? I'm not sure, but it has been a while since I've looked half decent. After straightening my hair I decide to give the house a spring clean. I feel cheerful this morning, more positive but then I'm brought straight back to earth when I see Mel wearing one of Alex's baggy t-shirts, at least I I think it's his. She is sitting on the couch munching on cereal from the box, a habit I really hate. The t-shirt is barely covering anything.. I wonder if he left it in her room, or gave it to her.

"Wow you look pretty! You look better." She notices, still munching away, leaving crumbs everywhere.

"Thanks, I feel a little better." We haven't spoke much and I feel awkward, but I take a seat anyway.

She looks distracted, almost sad looking.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing.. I was just thinking of Alex."

"Oh.." I whisper and roll my eyes.

"Do you like him?" She suddenly asks.

"Um.. No.. Why?"

"I would like to know, do you? And be honest."

"Why are you asking me this?" I ask. I don't know what to say, I should be honest but I can't seem to say it.

"We'll cause I laid eyes on him first.. I liked him first."

I laugh at her cockiness.

"What?? What do you mean you laid eyes on him first? I did!"

"Yeah, whatever."

"Hey I met him before you did. And what, you think you get to like someone first before me? It doesn't work like that,if anything you just swooped in like a lost puppy!" I snap.

"Oh lost puppy my ass!! At least I showed an interest!"

"Oh I'm sorry I was more interested in meeting my twin..." I say sarcastically. "And why are you complaining? You're wearing his god damn t-shirt! I think it's pretty clear who likes who!!"

She tugs at the shirt, and bites her bottom lip.

"I actually found it on the floor, down there.." She points. "I just thought it looked nice and warm, so I slept in it. After all, you were nice and warm with him on this couch last night."

"Oh so that's what this is all about? You saw us.."

"Saw you? I saw you wrapped round him, I saw him leaving your room this morning."

"So?" I ask.

"So, you know I like him."

"Does he like you?" I ask, catching her off guard. She hesitates.

"I thought he did.."

"So you're angry because it hasn't worked out? Nothing has happened between us, ok? He helped me, kept me company. It's what I needed, since you weren't around. And I'm not going to see less of him because you like him. I can't help you with that, I have my own problems, remember?!"

"He never ever made a move. He was flirty at times but never made the first move, I didn't even get a kiss, or a cuddle. Just, talking." She says.

I'm surprised at that, I thought more had went on.

"Oh, I thought..."

"You thought wrong."

"Well when you wear his shirts..l" I joke. She smiles, and suddenly everything feels back to normal.