Come Back to Me

Bad idea

After eating our dinner I wash the plates and sit back down beside Tom. I didn't answer his question before, do I ever want them to know.. Of course I do but not right now.

"Tom, Alex is missing.. It really isn't the right time. When we know that Alex is safe why don't we fly to California, and then you can tell them?"

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Yeah. But for now let's concentrate on Alex."

"You really like him don't you?"

"I don't know."

"I don't mean to put a dampener on things but, he's my best friend and you are my sister. I don't think I'd be too happy if you two.."

"If we what?" I ask.

"I may as well be honest with you. I talked to Alex yesterday morning when he left for work. He told me he stayed with you on the couch.. I kinda told him to back off.."

"You what??" I ask.

"I just don't think I'd like the idea of you two dating. I'm sorry, I just don't."

"How dare you! Nothing even happened. He was a complete gentleman and he helped me. If he wasn't here I probably would be a complete mess."

"I know that, he told me. But I'm telling you what I told him. You seem like you have become good friends, just keep it at that, please?"

"I wasn't even going to make it more than that. Like I said, he's been helping me."

I decide to leave it at that and go to bed.

The next morning I rush downstairs to see if Tom has heard anything.

"Anything?" I ask, waking him up.

"No.. What time is it?"

"8:30. I couldn't sleep." Mel comes downstairs wearing her work uniform. I didn't see her last night.

"Hey, where were you last night?" I ask.

"I went out with friends. No sign of Alex yet?"

"No.." She gently pats my back and goes Into the kitchen, I follow her.

"So, where'd you go?" I ask. I need a distraction.

"Oh, just, out."

"Are you ok?"

"Robert called. I've agreed to meet him tonight..."

"Oh.. Wow. What about Alex?" I ask. She smiles and pours herself a cup of coffee.

"Amy I'm sorry. I shouldn't have behaved like that. And even though you won't admit it, I know you like him. He sure as hell doesn't like me..i just saw him as a distraction.. Something to take my mind off of Robert. And, I've acted like an idiot ever since Robert and I broke up. I'm sorry I've not been there for you, I really am"

I did not expect that. She gives me a quick cuddle.

"It's ok Mel, I understand. Do you think you and Robert will get back together?"

"I don't know.. We have a lot of talking to do. How are you holding up?"

"I feel like I'm going crazy. Tom has told me that he wants nothing to happen with Alex and I. Not that anything has happened, or will.. He just thinks think it's a bad idea."

"Oh for gods sake! Tell him to grow up. If you like Alex then go for it. Will you just admit that you like him?"

"Ok fine, I like him, ok?? But it's not that simple.. Tom."

"Who cares what tom thinks?" She's right.

"It doesn't matter anyway. Alex is missing, who knows what'll happen.."

"Don't talk like that! I'm sure he's fine."