Come Back to Me

Don't be stupid

I wake up exhausted and sweating from my nightmare. The time is 4pm and I still don't know what to do. My phone rings, disturbing me from my thoughts.

"Hello?"

"Amy! It's Mel. Where are you?" She doesn't know about the letter.

"I'm in California..." I hesitate to tell her. "I received a letter from someone, someone claiming to be my brother."

"Huh? Your brother? You don't have a brother.."

"I know that. But I got a letter from a guy called called tom claiming to be my twin brother and that I was kidnapped as a baby, by my parents.."

"And you believe that?" She asks in disbelief.

"I don't know, maybe.. I found some things at my moms house, things that prove it."

"Oh..wow. Have you met him?"

"No, I almost knocked his door earlier but I couldn't."

"So this random guy gave you his address?"

"Yeah and his phone number."

"Well then what are you doing in California alone and knocking on some strangers door? Get your butt home and call him!"

She sounds angry.

"Why are you so worked up?" I ask.

"My best friend didn't tell me where she was going. And didn't tell me she was going to do something stupid!"

"I can't come home, not yet. I need to do this."

"God amy! At least let me come to California and we can do it together."

I take a second it think about it. Maybe she's right.

"Ok.." I tell her which hotel I'm staying at.