Come Back to Me

Drunken ass

Alex finally asks for that beer I offered him, I grab two and we both take a seat next to each other on the couch. Before we get a chance to talk some more his phone rings, and without looking at the caller Id he answers.

"Hello? Diane..hi." I freeze as Alex looks over at me with a concerned look on his face. My real mom.

"No, I'm ok. Tom called? What did he tell you? Oh, yeah he's a little drunk. No, I'm.. At the hotel. He said we are staying at a special persons house?" I put my hands over my face and sigh.

"Well um... Yeah we were at a hotel but now we are staying at a friends house. Why so special? Uh.."

I bite my bottom lip as I hear Alex digging himself a bigger hole. I could kill Tom.

Alex then laughs and listens intently to what she is saying.

"No I'm ok, really. I'm now on leave so I have time to recover. Don't worry, I'm all good. He said that? Well, I guess I'll be seeing you in the next couple of days then.. A surprise?"

I stand and storm into the kitchen. I can't believe Tom called her. I don't hear the rest of the conversation, I'm too busy raging at the thought of Tom going behind my back like that. A short while after, Alex comes into the kitchen and stands across from me, holding our beer and handing me mine. His back leans on the counter behind him and he has one hand in his pocket.

"So, tom made a drunken phone call?" I finally ask.

"Looks that way."

"I can't believe he did that." I add.

"He's drunk.. He probably got really excited." Alex defends him.

"I asked him not to.. And before you went missing he asked me if we could go to LA the next day. I told him no, I would have to think about it. Then you went missing and I told him to drop it for now, and that I would think about it but we haven't discussed it since you came back."

Alex doesn't answer, instead he stares at me for what feels like forever.

"What did she say?" I ask.

"She was worried about me. She wants to make me my favourite dinner when I get back."

"Which is?" I ask.

"Her lasagna. It's amazing. Every time i turn up she has some ready for me. And tom told her we were staying at a special persons house.. I wonder who that could be?"

I laugh and Alex smiles and takes a drink of his beer.

"She thought I was staying at a girlfriends house."

"Does she think you have a girlfriend in New York?" I ask feeling jealous. He hasn't mentioned anyone.

"No she thinks I'm staying at a 'girls house'."

"Oh.." I whisper.

"And Tom let slip that he has a surprise for her, and that he'll be bringing the surprise with him back home, to see Diane and Henry."

"Oh god..." I mumble. "Tom is seriously an ass..."

"A drunken ass.." Alex whispers.