Come Back to Me

She's here

Mel arrives at the hotel and we both decide that it's best to take a stroll down to the shops before we decide on what to do. I need something to distract me anyway.

"See? Shopping is the cure for everything!" Mel jokes as she takes her bags from the shopping assistant.

"Yeah, for you maybe. I haven't even bought anything yet!" I moan.

"Well, why don't we get you something pretty for meeting Tom?"

"This isn't a date Melanie."

"You know what I mean!" She snaps.

We've both been snappy with each other today. I think I pissed her off by coming here on my own. Lately she hasn't liked being on her own. She only moved in with me after her relationship ended. She is my bestest friend and I would do anything for her but i feel like I've been babysitting her and having her constantly around.

I don't buy anything and we head back to our hotel. As she drops her bags down on the floor of the hotel room, I notice the letter Tom sent me,sitting on the beside table just where I left it after showing Mel. I pick up my phone and dial the number.

"Hello?" A man answers. I take a deep breath and try to speak but nothing comes out.

"Hello??" He asks again. "Anyone there?"

"Is this Tom?" I ask quietly. Mel is sitting on the edge of my bed admiring her new clothes. She glances over at me and smiles, giving me a thumbs up.

"Yes this is Tom."

"Um.. You.. I..." I can't say it. "You sent me a letter!" I quickly say, almost shouting down the phone. I didn't want it to come out like that, but at least I've said it.

"Ciara?" He whispers.

"Amy." I correct him. "It's Amy."

"Sorry, Amy. I can't believe you called.. I actually can't believe you even received my letter!" He says laughing down the phone, sounding relieved, even hysterical. I don't reply, I'm a little unsure of what to say.

"So um, this is weird." He says. "I wasn't sure if you wanted to meet or keep it to calls.."

"I wasn't sure either.. I'm actually in California right now."

"You are??" He asks surprised. Then I hear whispers in the background. I hear Tom whispering in excitement "she's here, it's Ciara, she's here!!"

It sounds weird having him refer to me as Ciara. I don't think I look like a Ciara, do I? I take a look in the mirror, wondering if the name suits me. I have blonde hair, I guess Ciara would go with blonde hair, right?