Come Back to Me

Who is that man?

Once Alex and I finish breakfast he leaves my room for me to change and after doing my hair Mel knocks on my door.

"Hi.." She says, cautiously.

"Hi to you too." I say dryly.

"I'm sorry amy! I know we left the place a mess.. Sorry.." She cracks. I smile and shake my head.

"It's ok.. "

"Tom said that you went crazy this morning!"

"Crazy? I was mad but.. I had other reasons to be mad at him too."

"Like?" She asks. Tom obviously hasn't told her.

"Do you want to go out? A walk?" I ask. "There's been too many boys in our lives lately, I miss our little walks."

Mel smiles and gives me a quick hug.

"Great, means we can talk!!" She winks and I follow her downstairs.

"Ok guys behave yourselves!! Amy and I are going out."

Alex and Tom look pre occupied with the Nintendo Wii. They are playing boxing. I stop and look over at Alex who's throwing punches.

"Did you and Alex.....?" Mel whispers in my ear as we both watch them play.

I almost don't hear Mel, my eyes are drawn to Alex's punches. He can definitely throw a punch.

"What?" I ask. "Umm... No." I say and grab my purse.

"Bye!!" I yell. They both mumble something and wave.

Once out I breath in the fresh air.

"Well? What do you mean no?" Mel asks. She swings her purse back and forward and kicks the stones on the side walk in front of us.

"Almost, but then you and Tom got busy and decided to tell the whole house about it!" I tease.

"Oh..sorry."

"No, I think I'm actually glad..not that I heard you two having sex. Alex and I are really good friends right now. And, I don't know.. We almost kissed and don't get me wrong it felt amazing being that close to him but.."

"But?" Mel asks. "You like him right?"

"Yes, I do, I guess I'm just worried at what might happen if we do. Plus, tom told him to back off, and me so...he doesn't want us to."

"Huni you shouldn't listen to Tom. He doesn't know what's right for you."

"Maybe not, but I should respect his wishes. I had fun last night and to be perfectly honest I'm surprised that Alex didn't push me to get intimate."

"Huh?" She asks.

"After telling him about my whole sex thing.. I guess I thought he would have jumped at that."

"Oh huni, you should have let him!" Mel jokes, laughing and pushing me off the side walk.

We go a walk down the park and I tell her about the massage. She thinks I should have made my move, and as much as I would have liked to kiss him, I think I'll try to prevent that from happening again.

"So.. Not that I want to get into the intimate details but, you and Tom?" I'm dying to know. "Did you always like him?"

"I thought he was cute, yeah. He was such a gentleman last night. He talks about you a lot. He told me about when you were getting shot at, and how he almost got shot in the head.. Thank god it was his arm."

I don't answer Mel. Thinking about that day makes me feel nauseous. We walk down a quiet and secluded area in the park, one route we take when we run. A lake is near by, and hardly anyone ever comes down here.

"Amy, I don't mean to frighten you but who the hell is that guy staring?" Mel asks, pointing. I look in the direction that Mel is pointing and I suddenly freeze. I recognise him, I recognise him as my uncle. He's not really my uncle, he was a close friend of my fake parents and they always referred to him and Uncle Jeff. I always felt weird about him, I hated the way he dressed, like he still lives in the 70's and he always stared at me, looking me up and down..which scared the living day lights out of me. His hair is Gray, with a bald patch on the back of his head, his thick rimmed brown glasses make his eyes look enormous and his sweaty moustache always made me want to vomit every time saw it. I haven't seen him in a few years. When I was little he would come over ever Sunday, I was allowed to stay in the living room with them for 10 minutes till I was sent upstairs. I never actually knew what they spoke about, but I did hear one conversation, something I think I deliberately blocked out. Mel suddenly interrupts me from my memory of Jeff.

"Huni, he's walking over here.. Do you know him?" She asks. She sounds panicked and I don't blame her. Why would he be down here? He must be following me. He looks angry, sweaty, his beer belly pokes out from underneath his brown sweatshirt as his pace quickens.