Come Back to Me

Run

"Come on.." I whisper and grab Mel's hand. "Run!" We start running as fast as we can. I look back and see him running on and off, but then I see him sprinting towards us and I pull Mel and we run even faster. Once we are out of his sight I pull Mel into the corner of a street.. hiding behind a car. We duck, lifting our heads to see past the car. He runs from one of the street corners and stops, realising that he has lost us he lets out a an angry growl and throws his hands down to his side. He slowly walks away, and once he is gone Mel and I stand up, panting.

"What the hell was that? Who is he? Did he follow us to the park?". She yells.

"He is my uncle Jeff...a friend of my 'fake parents'".

"Ok well he did not look happy!" She yells and stops as I keep walking. "Amy!" She snaps. I stop and turn to look at her.

"Talk to me, what's going on?"

The truth is, I don't know what's going on. I don't know what he wants, but from what I remember I wasn't allowed to sit with him for long.. They didn't want me listening to their conversation. But one day I did.

"Mel, you can't tell Alex or Tom about this!"

"What, are you kidding? We just got chased by some lunatic!"

"I know.. I know that. They just, they can't know. Promise me!" I grab her shoulders, still out of breath and look her in the eye.

"Why can't they know?" She asks.

"That day, when I almost got killed? Was the most horrific day of my life. And talking about all the time... I can't keep talking about it..I want to move on.. If this gets brought up, then it'll cause problems and I really don't want to keep being reminded of what's happening or who I actually am!" I snap.

"What's that supposed to mean, who you actually are?" She asks.

"The girl who was raised by criminals, those criminals who killed innocent children, please.."

Mel looks down at her feet and sighs.

"Fine." I smile."You owe me!"

"Thank you..now we need to get home and.. I think I wanna go to California now." I say as we start walking.

"Don't you think they'll find it a little strange that now all of a sudden you wanna go?" Mel asks, stating the obvious.

"Yeah.."