Come Back to Me

Lie

We walk quickly back home, I really need to tell them that I want to go. I open the door and see them sitting on the couch watching tv.

"Hey, you look exhausted! Were you guys running?" Tom asks.

"Um.. Yeah, we jogged.." I say, looking at Mel. She has a guilty look on her face.

"Mel.. Are you ok?" Alex asks. I look at Mel and plead with my eyes not to tell.

"Yeah, tired."

"Um.. So I was thinking and I think it's time that we go to California.. To your house.." I blurt out. Alex looks at me confused and Tom jumps up from the couch and claps his hands.

"Finally!!!" He hugs me. "About time!"

"Why the sudden change of mind?" Alex asks as he stands and walks toward me. His eyes are frowning,his eye brows low and I feel like he is examining me, looking for the truth.

"I just think that we should make a start, that's all.. I'm not saying tom that want you to tell them right away.. "

"Well, going to California is a start, so that's ok with me. But just one thing.. Mel are you coming with us?" He asks.

"No I have to work.."

"Well... Um. Ok, how does this sound. Alex, you take amy back to ours and I can stay here with Mel for a couple of days till she gets the time off work to come join us?"

I look at Alex who is silent and staring at me. I bite my bottom lip and try to hold his stare, trying not to give anything away. He looks down to his feet and puts his hands in his jeans pockets.

"Yeah, why not." He says, dryly. I smile and walk past him to the stairs and tom goes into the kitchen. As I go upstairs I see Alex talking Mel. She shakes her head and smiles at him. Phew..