Come Back to Me

Don't tell

Tom helps me book flights and we manage to find a last minute flight for early tomorrow morning. I'm grateful that Mel is helping me out by not telling them the real reason. Once Tom leaves my room, Mel comes in and sits beside me.

"Thank you.." I whisper.

"Don't worry about it. But.."

"I knew there was a but." I say.

"I still think you should tell Alex."

"If I tell him he'll just get all worked up and then he'll have to go back to work to help with the case. He's on leave, remember?"

"We both know that that's not the reason amy." She says as she twirls her hair. "You don't want to talk about it.."

"I just want a break from it, that's all."

Mel sighs and plays with the corner of my duvet.

"Ok then.." She whispers. "But, if this guy, Jeff, was involved in what happened... You can't keep it a secret. If you know anything.."

She sounds so grown up.. Mel has always been chilled, in a daze and not really caring about things.

"I don't know anything about him. I just remember how weird he was."

The memory of me sitting on the stairs peaking through the banisters, listening to a conversation between Jeff and my parents comes to mind but I can't remember what was said, one thing I do know is that I never wanted to see him ever again, after over hearing their conversation. I don't tell Mel, I don't want to talk about it. I deserve a break from it, I want to forget about them and what they did.

"Hey have you asked work if you're allowed more time off?" Mel asks.

"Oh crap... No!" I panic. Mel laughs and leaves the room while I grab my phone and call them.

So, did you call them?" Mel asks as I arrive downstairs. She is sitting next to Tom, tom has his arm around her shoulder. Alex is sitting on the other chair reading paperwork. He has one leg stretched out and the other bent, sitting back on the chair concentrating on whatever it is that he is reading. I stand behind the couch and rest my hands on the edge, looking down at Mel as she looks up.

"Yeah I explained everything, I can take as much time as I need."

"Great!" Mel says and snuggles up to Tom. They start kissing and I look away, my eyes catch Alex staring back and I smile and walk into the kitchen, dying to get away from the new love birds. Alex follows me in and takes a seat on the stool.

"I think I liked it better when Tom was hopeless with the ladies.." Alex jokes.

"That's terrible.." I say laughing.

"Oh come on! Those two have hardly left each other's side since they hooked up last night."

"So you're telling me that you and some other girl have never been inseparable at the start??" I ask as I reach for a glass. "Drink?" I ask. Alex nods as I take orange juice from the fridge.

"I guess.. I just hope I never looked like, that.." He says and pulls a disgusted face.

"What were you reading?" I ask as I hand him his orange juice.

"Oh.. Nothing important." He swallows hard and looks away.

"Alex..." I sing. "Tell me the truth." He looks at me and sighs, biting the inside of his cheek.

"Just going over some paperwork for the case.."

"Oh. You do that while you're off?" I ask.

"Not all the time. This case is just, baffling to me."

"Me too!"

"I was reading about when they took you."

"Alex I don't want to talk about this.." I say feeling uncomfortable.

"Sure.. Sorry."