Come Back to Me

Caught

Once gill drops us off, I'm curious as to how popular I actually am. I follow Alex in his house, and dump my bags at the side if the couch.

"Ok... First things first.. I need to see how messy Toms bedroom is!" Alex says as he takes off his hoodie.

"Alex?" I ask. He looks over at me as he sits his hoodie down. "What did you mean when you said that my case was pretty popular?"

He slides his hands in his jeans pockets and stands still, looking at me.

"After they took you, it was a mystery to what happened to you. Nobody knew where you were, where they were, whether you were alive, dead, what they did to you.." He takes one step forward. "I guess the case was sort of.. Dropped. Then I met Tom, he told me what happened. Nobody knew we had found you.. Until the shooting. Then apparently everyone started studying the case, it's fascinating to them."

"I'm being studied?" I ask.

"No, the case. But you.." He takes another step forward. "I guess people are curious.. They wonder if you're exactly like them. But your not." The corner of his lip curves, he smiles. "Do you wanna go out, get some lunch?" He asks.

"Yeah, sure. Just let me change first."

"Change in my room.. I need to clean toms room."

"I thought I was doing that?" I ask as I take my bag upstairs.

"You kidding? I'm not that cruel!" He jokes. "My room is first on the left."

I open his room door, and close it behind me. This is the first time I've been in Alex's room. I feel like a school girl again. I take a walk round the room. The bedroom walls are cream coloured with pictures of his photography. Above his huge bed is a framed black and white picture of the sea. A book case sits against one wall filled with police and photography books. I hear Alex's voice, he must be on the phone. I rummage through my bag and find jeans and a vest too to wear. Once I head downstairs I see Alex sitting on the couch, waiting for me. I walk around him and sit down on the seat across from him, putting on my shoes.

"Ready." I say. Alex is staring at me, his eyebrows creased, his lips pinched tightly together. I feel like I'm being scolded by his cold stare.

"What's wrong?" I ask. I look at what he's holding, my phone.

"That was Mel.." He finally says.

"She called me?" I ask.

"Your phone was hanging out your purse.. When were you going to tell me about Jeff, amy?"

I swallow hard. How could Mel tell him about Jeff? She promised!

"Jeff?" I asks playing dumb. Alex sniggers and looks down at my phone.

"Yeah, Jeff. Uncle Jeff?" He looks back up at me. I've never seen him look so angry with me.