Come Back to Me

Shall we meet?

I start to feel embarrassed as I hear whispers in the background. How do I even know that this is the right guy? I know it must be true, because I found the newspapers in my moms attic. But, I still can't help but think what if it isn't Tom, and that it's some sick twisted joke.

"How did you find me?" I ask. I've been dying to know.

"It took a lot of work, but I did. We can discuss if you like? Would you like to meet? See if we're identical?" He chuckles. He has the same chuckle as me, or am I imagining it?

I quickly turn to Mel mouthing silently that he wants to meet. She nods and comes over, listening in closely to the phone.

"Um.." I whisper. "I guess. I'm taking a friend though..you know, just to be safe."

"Great. I'll bring a friend too, to be safe."

"Your not bringing your mom and dad?" I ask, thinking he would have.

"No, they don't know I've found you. Do you them to be there?"

"No!" I snap. "Sorry, it'd be weird.."

"I understand. So I guess we'll meet in a public place then? Go for a coffee? Where in California are you?" I don't want to tell him I'm close.

"We can just meet in town? Find a Starbucks?"

"Sounds good. I'll meet you in an hour at the Starbucks next to the beach?"

"Ok..an hour." We hang up.

"Your really going to do this?" Mel asks, biting her lip.

"You don't think I should?" She hesitates. She is so unpredictable these days, yes, no, maybe.

"I don't know..." She moans and scrunches up her nose, making her look like a little girl. Mel is amazingly beautiful. Dark skin, tight black curly hair falling down to her shoulders, freckles on her nose, bright red lipstick and the longest eyelashes ever. I'm jealous of Melanie's figure and her looks. She always tells me I'm gorgeous, and that she is jealous of how I look. I can never understand this. My hair is a thick blonde and naturally wavy making if hard to control. I straighten it most of the time, other times I let it go curly. It's pretty long, falls halfway down my back. This is because my mom and dad didn't like long hair and always had my hair cut in a short bob and I hated it, hated them for doing it. I have green eyes, which is probably my most favourite part about me. My skin is pale, and I am 5'6 tall. My parents didn't let me eat a lot of sweeties, because they said it would make me fatter which gave me a complex. I'm always paranoid about my weight. But Mel says I am skinny, too skinny. I guess that's why I run.