Come Back to Me

More than friends

Amy runs down the hall, away from me. I turn, and detective Mullen is standing, watching. I've always hated him, I can't speak my mind when I'm around him. He's my boss, he takes charge. I'm pretty far into my career and I can make judgement calls, but whenever Mullen is around I feel like I'm still learning.

"Well..I did not expect that." Mullen says, looking in the direction that amy ran off.

"She's been through a lot, Mullen. I'm taking her home."

"She's going to be really helpful to us, you know."

"Maybe so, but she needs a break." I say, only just realising it.

"I should hope that your relationship with amy is strictly professional, Alex." I stand straight, not sure what he means by strictly professional.

"I don't understand.." I say. Mullen leans on the door frame, picking at his finger nails.

"She's my best friends sister.." I say, correcting him.

"Even so, I wouldn't want you two getting any closer. That can lead to complications, especially in this case."

"What happens between amy and I is none of your concern, Mullen. Not that it's any of your business, she's my friend. I'm helping her."

"Looked a little but more than friends to me a couple of minutes ago.." Mullen says, smiling.

"Is she good to go?" I ask. Mullen nods.

I walk to the bathrooms, and wait outside, leaning on the wall behind me. I wonder if it'll be completely inappropriate if I go in.. But I know I would get slapped. Instead, I wait. Mullins words repeat themselves in my head. The door opens and Amy appears, wiping the tears from her cheek.

"Hey.." I whisper. I consider wiping her tears away, but i stop myself. She doesn't want me near her right now.

"I wanna go..." She whispers through her tears. I can't stand it. She's crying partly because I brought her here. I nod and put my hand on her back, leading her out. She moves to the side, avoiding my touch on her back.

The car ride home is quiet, just like it was on the way to the station. I try to think of something to say, a way to apologise.. But I decide against it. She won't listen.