Come Back to Me

Sorry

I lie in bed, staring up at the ceiling. Seeing the CCTV footage, watching them take me, and no one did anything about it. I can't blame them though, it looked planned, well orchestrated. No one would have ever guessed. I wonder what would have happened, what my life would be like today if it was Tom that was taken, not me. Not that I wish that upon Tom, but things would be so different. It's been three hours since we got back. I can't even look at Alex, the way he yelled at me, dragged me to the car, made me go through the questioning with Mullen.. I guess I'm still really angry. I haven't heard Alex come upstairs since we got home. I can hear him talking.. I get up and stand at the top of the stairs, listening, slowly creeping down each step.

"No.. She's not talking to me. I don't blame her.. He showed her the footage, Tom. I know, i shouldn't have let her watch it. It's been hours, she's not came downstairs. I wouldn't just now, maybe tomorrow call her instead. I think she's asleep. Listen, Jeff is in that footage. We'll have to... Yeah. Ok man, talk soon. Bye."

I see Alex sit his phone down, and he sighs, putting his head in his hands. He looks upset. Maybe he feels guilty.. He then sits back and watches tv. I head back upstairs and sit in bed, wondering what I should do. I change into Alex's t-shirt that he gave me when I was cold. It just passes my butt. I lie in bed and read my book for a while. I can't stay up here forever. My phone rings..

"Hi.." I say.

"Amy.. I am so sorry!" Mel blurts out very quickly. "I called you but Alex answered instead and he could tell something was wrong.."

"It's ok, I'm sorry I made you lie."

"How is he, was he angry?"

"Hah.. That's an understatement. He was livid.. Dragged me to the station for questioning."

"Yeah, Tom said. Are you not speaking to Alex?"

"No.." I say.

"Ok, I guess I can't blame you.. He didn't have to take you for questioning!"

"Yeah.. But I can't stay mad at him, can I? Is it silly?" I ask, uncertain.

"No, it's not silly. He upset you.. I get it."

"But?" I ask, feeling it coming along.

"But... He's just looking out for you sweetie."

"I knew you would say that. You're right."

After Mel and I talk for ages, I hang up the phone and decide to go downstairs. Just because he's looking out for me doesn't mean I shouldn't be angry. As I head downstairs, the lights are out and it's just the tv that's on. Alex sits on the left of the couch drinking a bottle of beer and watching 'There's Something About Mary'. I walk round, Alex looks up at me. I can see his eyes staring at my legs, and I realise that I haven't thought this one through, the t-shirt barely hangs over my butt.. Even though it's dark, I can feel his stare on me. I sit down and bring my legs up towards me, cuddling them with my arms. I don't say anything and neither does Alex. I smile at the funny scenes in the film, Alex chuckles now and then. Suddenly he stands and walks into the kitchen, coming back with two bottles of beer and handing me one as he walks past me, taking a seat. During the film, from the corner of my eye I see Alex look over at me. He looks like he wants to talk, but he doesn't. Instead he faces the tv again. His phone beeps,lighting up and vibrating on the table. He takes his phone and reads the text. I can't help but look at him as he does. He's wearing a black t-shirt, with a hoodie over it. With all that layering he still looks strong. Snap out of it, I think. He doesn't reply to the text, instead he locks his phone and sits it back down. An hour or so later, Alex looks at me again.

"Amy?" He says. I look at him. The tv lights up the left side if his face when he looks at me. "I'm sorry.."

"It's okay.." I say. He shifts in his seat, and rubs the back of his neck. Reminding me of the night I gave him a massage.

"No, it's not. You need a break from it.. I literally carried you to the car.. I guess when I heard that you were chased I lost it.. Not with you, with Jeff. I took it out on you.."

"Alex.." I say as I reach for his hand. My hand touches his, his fingers cross over with mine. "You were right, I should have told you. I can't possibly get a break from this even if I tried.. So I'm going to stop trying. I'll help Mullen with the case if he still wants me to.."

"No, you need a break." He says. "Mullen is an ass, ok? You don't wanna help him, trust me."

"But it might not be through choice soon, I'm involved in this case, I know Jeff. The sooner this is over with the better." Alex sighs and his grip on my hand tightens, not too tight.

"I guess.. I'll help." He says.

"Alex you're on leave, remember?" I ask sarcastically.

"So? It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does, you need time to recover."

"So do you.." He whispers. "There's no way I'm letting you do this on your own. I'm helping, I'm not going to let Jeff get near you."

"What makes you say that? Why would he come near me, again?" I ask.

"Just a feeling.."