Come Back to Me

No

I wake to hear Alex on the phone in his bedroom. He sounds angry so I climb out of bed and open my door, listening.

"I really don't think that.. Yes. I know that, Mullen. That could put her in danger...I know that. I just think that you should give her time, that's all. Yes... Bye." I open my door wider and lean off the door frame, waiting for Alex to appear from his room. He does, and freezes when he sees me standing. He looks annoyed, irritated and out of breath. I can see the frown lines in his face.

"Anything wrong?" I ask softly.

"Yeah.. Mullen being an ass as usual. Tea?" He asks as he walks past me to the stairs. I follow him, waiting for him to tell me more. As he makes tea, he doesn't talk.

"Well?" I ask. "What did he say?"

Alex pours the hot water into a mug, adds milk and passes it to me.

"He's been working all night, he's a little over tired.. I'm hoping that he'll forget about it. It's a ridiculous idea."

"What is?" I ask. When Alex is agitated I've noticed that he rubs his neck a lot. He sighs and leans on the kitchen counter.

"He can't find Jeff, anywhere. No record of an address.. Date of birth.. Nothing. He needs your help."

"Oh, well, I guess I could.. I mean I don't know where Jeff lives but.."

"No, amy.. It's a stupid idea. You're not going to help, got it?" He snaps.

"I don't even know what he wants me to do, you haven't told me!" I snap back. He bites his bottom lip and stares at me, I feel like he's scolding me again.

"He thinks you should go undercover..go back to new York, where Jeff will find you..how, I don't know." Oh..

I think about it quickly. Maybe it's the only way.

"No!" Alex whispers, shaking his head slowly. "You're not doing it."

"That's not your decision to make!" I say, pushing my tea away.

"Amy you have no idea what could happen. And besides.. I don't think tom would be too pleased.. Or your mother and father."

"First of all, I don't care if Tom won't be too pleased and second.. I don't know my mom and dad yet. Don't you dare try that one on me!" I snap and storm off. I don't know why Alex has suddenly changed. We've been getting on great, and now I feel like he's always telling me what to do like I'm a child. I shut toms door behind me and change into denim shorts, white converse and a pink vest. I need to get out, on my own without my babysitter, Alex.. I grab my purse and jog downstairs quickly, ignoring Alex standing in the living room I walk to the front door.

"Amy, wait!" He follows me outside and when I don't stop, he grabs my arm gently, making me stop.

"What? You're sorry.. Again?" I ask. He stands, this time holding both my shoulders, his eyes shift from my eyes, to my mouth, my hair, my feet and back up at my eyes. I try to avoid his stare, his eyes make me melt, making me want to hug him and just be with him. He doesn't say anything, instead he let's go of me. I turn and walk away.