Come Back to Me

Run

As I walk to the town I can feel my phone vibrating in my purse and as I dig through to find it I accidentally bang into someone.

"Oh, sorry..." I say, looking up at the man. He grunts and slowly walks away. As he walks I notice he has a tattoo of a gun on the back of his neck. I feel a sense of deja vu come over me as I stare at the man. I suddenly remember that my phone is ringing, I look at the screen.. Alex. I hang up, not wanting to speak to him. I begin to walk again, but I look back at the tattooed man, why does he look so familiar? He is wondering around, looking at items in shop windows. I find it strange, the way he is taking his time, looking at things that I didn't think a man would want to look at in shop windows. I see him glance over at me, and I quickly look away, walking in the direction of the store. The town is quiet, too quiet. My phone rings again, Alex. This time I don't hang up, I just let it ring. Before I get to the store my phone buzzes again, answer message. I sigh, wondering what he has to say for himself.

"Amy where the hell are you? Why aren't you picking up? Tom called, your house was broken into during the night. It wasn't just some random burglary, nothing was stolen expect.. A picture, of you.. And a few sheets of paper was scattered about.. We don't know what they took. You need to get back, now!!"

I stare at my phone, speechless. Tom, Mel.. I hope they're ok. Who would steel a picture of me? Suddenly it hits me, it must be Jeff. I panic, trying to dial for Alex's number but my fingers are slippy, and I drop my phone. As I bend down to pick it up I get the feeling that I am being watched, and as I stand up slowly, I know exactly where to look.. The man with the gun tattooed on his neck. He is standing, his arms folded, leaning on the shop window, watching me. I still don't know who he is but I know I've seen him before. I can't tell his age, maybe early 40's.. He wears a black vest with black jeans, a belt with a silver buckle wraps around him. His hair is bright Gray and he has a curious look about him, as if he's trying to figure me out. I don't know if he's been following me, maybe he hasn't been watching, I could just be paranoid. I think I should go back to Alex now.

I hurry to the other side of the road, away from the strange man. I'm not too far from Alex's, it took me ten minutes to walk here, so if I rush, it should only take me five. I casually look behind me to see if I'm being followed. I don't see him.. I feel relieved. I notice movement to my left, but when I turn to look, no one is there. I then hear someone walking not too far behind me, and for some unknown reason, I know that he is behind me. Without even looking back, I run.