Come Back to Me

Spy

Mel and I sit in Starbucks with a cold drink.

"Can I ask you something?" Mel asks. "What was going through your head when you were attacked?"

I try to think back, remembering the car chasing me.

"I don't know.. Fear obviously.. Anger.. I haven't done anything wrong and these people are after me because of the sick couple who raised me.."

"Did you think you were going to die?" She asks.

"No.. I didn't. All I could think of was getting home to Alex, actually."

"Do you wish something had happened between the two of you?" She asks.

"I guess.. But I'm tired of it now. I'm not going to bring it up, and if he does, I'll just tell him to keep it to himself. I've got enough worries.. We're not even in a relationship and things are already bad.."

"So, you won't let him kiss you, if he tries?" She asks.

"I don't know.." I whisper. "Anyway, you and Tom?" I ask.

"Toms great. A little stupid at times though.." She laughs. I laugh with her, and I don't even notice that I'm not in pain anymore. My side feels a lot better. My jaw is starting to look almost normal again. My phone vibrates on the table, Alex is checking up.

"That'll be Alex then.." Mel says. I smile and answer the phone.

"Hey, we're fine."

"Good.. Where are you?" He asks.

"Starbucks..we went shopping. We'll be home soon."

"Okay.. I'll see you when you get back?"

"Yeah, bye.." I hang up.

"Wow... That was the most romantic conversation ever!" Mel jokes.

"Shut up!"

As promised, Mel and I are driving back home. We pass the street that I was attacked. I get a sudden flash back, of Bobbie and Jeff at my old house. I remember hearing them talking about me. "Amy needs to learn.. After all it is the reason we let you find her..are you going back on that?" I remember hearing my mother " Ofcourse not. It's just that, Amy is.. Different. I don't think she's like that." I then remember Jeff voice.. "Then we will have to try our best. We need her, at this age in particular.. She can learn so much. We need her to be our eyes.."

"Oh my god.." I whisper.

"What?" Mel asks.

"Just.. I need to talk to Alex.." We pull up at Alex's driveway. I run in, he's sitting on the couch going through some paperwork.

"Amy, hey.. You alright?" He asks, standing up.

"I remember something.." I say quickly, as if the memory is going to fall out my head. "Jeff and bobbie.. Something about teaching me something... I had to learn... Something... They needed me to be their eyes.."

Alex scratches his head, his eyes looking concerned.

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Yes! I remember now. They were at my old house.. I think they wanted me to spy for them.."