Come Back to Me

Found her

Tom and I sit at the dinner table with his parents. We nibble at our food. Tom hasn't told them yet.

"So, tom.." Diane says. "Why haven't I seen you for the past few weeks?"

I clear my throat, almost choking on my pasta.

"Well. I have some news." Tom says. Suddenly the front door swings open, and Rachel stands with shopping bags and her long blonde hair falling over one shoulder.

"God these bags are heavy! Hi aunt Diane and uncle Henry! Tom.. Alex!" She says sounding excited. I try not to make eye contact with her, she's been texting constantly for the past 2 months and I've been ignoring her.

"Hey Rachel this really isn't a good time.." Tom snaps.

"Oh please!" She says, dropping her bags and running over to the table, sitting beside Diane and stealing a bit of garlic bread.

"Hi huni." Diane says. I look over at tom who is biting at his bottom lip. I know he can't stand Rachel. Rachel seems to be the replacement daughter/sister. I think unknowingly Diane and henry have taken her in. She doesn't have the best relationship with her own mother, Diane's sister Barbara. Rachel is a lot like amy. Long blonde hair, tall, slim, beautiful, bright eyes, but her personality doesn't beat amys. Rachel may be beautiful and inherit looks like Amy's, but amy is far more intelligent and far more gorgeous than Rachel will ever be. I just wish I hasn't made that mistake with Rachel two months ago, and I hope amy doesn't find out.

"So what's so important?" Rachel asks as she munches on the bread.

"It's got nothing to do with you!" Tom snaps again.

"Tom! Don't talk to your sis... Cousin like that.." Diane says, quickly correcting herself. Tom looks at me, I look at Diane, and Henry looks down at his dinner plate. You could cut the tension with a knife."

"Well, on that note..." Tom begins. "Forgive me when I say that Rachel, you are not my god damn sister!"

Rachel's mouth drops open. I didn't expect tom to start it off like this..

"Tom!!" Henry snaps.

"What? She isn't! We all know that I do have an actual sister!!" He shouts. I sigh.

"Tom.." I whisper. "What're doing?" I ask.

"You did.." Diane snaps.

"No. I do! I found her!" He quickly shouts. The room is silent. Diane and Henry both stare at tom. They stare in disbelief.

"What?" Henry asks.

"I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to tell you like this. I found Ciara. I found her in New York, we found her, Alex and I."

Diane and Henry shift their eyes from tom to be.

"Is this true?" Diane asks.

"Yeah.. It's true. Her name is amy.."

"Amy?" Henry whispers.

"The couple who took her.. Named her amy. I guess, I'll start from the beginning.. They both took her to New York and raised her as amy. But, a few weeks ago... They died. Turns out they were criminals...."

"Ofcourse they were criminals! They stole my baby girl!" Diane shouts, slamming her hand on the table. Tom goes silent.

"Well?" She asks, waiting for him to continue.

"They murdered kids.. They, they were murderers. But they didn't harm amy until.."

"What did they do to her??" Diane asks.

"Alex?" Tom whispers.

"Uh.. They tried to kill amy. Once she found out who they really were they pulled out guns they had stashed all over the house. They shot tom.. His arm."

"What??" Diane shouts.

"It's fine mom...It's healing."

"Anyway, amy almost got killed. It's a miracle that she survived actually."

"Alex saved her.." Tom mumbles.

Diane wipes away her tears.

"But then after that there were these people after amy. They got to her, really hurt her. But they've been caught..Amy is ok. She was injured but she's getting there."

"Oh my god.." Henry whispers.

"You've been with her these last few weeks?" Diane asks. Tom nods.

"And you didn't think to tell us the moment you found her?" Diane asks angrily.

"I'm sorry.. It was a lot to take in. And, I wanted to spend time with her alone.."

"Where is she now?" Henry asks.

"Our place.." Tom says.

"I want to see her." Diane whispers.

"You want to see her??" Rachel snaps. "God she could be, like, a physco!"

"Rachel!!" Diane shouts. "That is my daughter! Who I haven't seen in 24 years!! I didn't even get to hold her that often.. I only held her once after she was born!"

Diane gets up and runs to the bathroom.

"Nice.." Tom says to Rachel. I get up and walk to the bathroom down the hall.

"Diane?" I knock the door. She opens the door wiping away her tears.

"I'm sorry. We should have told you sooner. Truth be told, amy didn't want to."

"What's she like?" Diane asks. I smile.

"She's amazing. A lot like you. She's kind, sweet, beautiful.."

"Sounds like you have a little crush on her, Alex.." She laughs.

I clear my throat, wishing I never said anything.

"No! Ofcourse I don't.." I lie.

"I know that face.." She whispers.

"Anyway.. Do you want me to pick her up, bring her here?"

"Yes.. Quickly.. I really need to see her." I nod and kiss her on the cheek.