Status: love yous :3

We Found Each Other in the Dark

| Jackie |

Today had been absolute shit. Work was an absolute mess, the fact that it was Monday wasn’t helping. The rain that wasn’t supposed to start until 4 started about 10 minutes before my shift was over, and I had no umbrella. Not thinking that it was Monday yesterday I forgot to renew my bus pass, so I had to rush to the train station to update it there, the intersection’s traffic holding me back from catching the bus I had wanted to get originally. I silently sobbed at this mornings misfortune’s and decided to go see how work was going for my friend Andrew who had the pleasure of working at a local comic book shop. By the time I got there rain was trailing down my face, dripping off of the tip of my nose like a waterfall, and the clothes I had worn to work were completely soaked…sticking to my skin uncomfortably. I busted through the door and let out a gasp as if I had been drowning in a pool as opposed to getting caught in the downpour outside. Andrew came bustling through the door behind the counter expecting to see a costumer, and then swallowed down laughter when he saw that it was just me.

“Andrew I will kill you.” I snarled shooting daggers.

My flooded Vans squeaked as I made my way towards him, putting all of my weight on my elbows as I rested on the counter top. He continued to try and stifle laughter as he joined me on the opposite side.

“What’re you doing here this early?” He asked putting his chin in the palm of his hand.

My eyes lazily rolled into the back of my head at the thought of my already terrible morning, and I gazed around at the new inventory he had on shelves behind him.

“I got done early, and missed the bus.” I stated, “Got some time to kill.”

I heard the bell of the entrance ring indicating someone else had come in, but I was too focused on the new Star Wars figurine on one of the shelves to turn and see if it was someone I knew.

“We just got a whole bunch of new Star Wars comics.” Andrew informed coming around the corner, “Including Marvel’s #42 which is the first appearance of Boba Fett.”

My eyes instantly lit up and I had suddenly forgotten all about the shitty events that lead up to this moment. Andrew pointed to where I’d find the comic but got called over by another costumer, so he couldn’t follow and watch me hyperventilate over the book. I rushed towards the back of the store and gazed at the pristine, colorful artwork that graced the cover as if I had never seen anything so amazing. Slowly I stepped closer and inched my hand towards it. Just as my fingertips traced along the top of the seemingly perfect booklet another hand bumped against mine…attempting to grab the same comic. My insides jumped at the sudden touch and my neck snapped up. Holy shit. The hand that had accidently touched mine belonged to a boy only a bit taller then me with dark hair (strips of red, and blonde mixed in) and brilliant greenish/brown colored eyes. His cheeks were just as red as mine and although I was slightly embarrassed I couldn’t take my eyes from his.

“Uh, I…I’m sorry.” He stuttered finally breaking our glance.

His accent was familiar but only because growing up I always had a thing for Australian’s. My eyebrows knitted together and I cocked my head to the side.

“You’re not from around here…” I said as if he didn’t know that already.

He snorted and let his lips curl upward.

“I’m here on tour.” He said, “Mates are still asleep thought this place looked rad.”

I couldn’t help but smile back at him, his voice and overall appearance completely enchanting me. I stuck out my hand and put it towards him.

“Jackie.” I introduced.

He looked down at my hand and with no hesitation put his in it.

“Michael.” He said giving our hands a firm shake.

Saying my name was the easy part…figuring out what to say after that wasn’t as easy. I wrapped my arms around my stomach and then pushed imaginary hairs behind my ears nervously. We stood there only inches apart awkwardly for what seemed like an eternity until Andrew saved the day.

“Hey, Jackie!” He shouted from across the room, “My shifts almost up, need a ride?”

I looked at Michael and then quickly turned my attention back to Andrew. When I glanced out the window it was still pouring, but Andrew lived halfway across town the opposite direction and I didn’t want him wasting gas.

“I’m good!” I called back politely.

Andrew nodded and then left me to put my eyes back on Michael who’s focus had never left me.

“I…I uh should probably go I don’t want to miss my bus again…” I said suddenly.

Michael almost looked hurt and he looked over his shoulder to the window. When he looked back at me he was smiling again.

“Nonsense.” He declared cheerfully, “I’ll ride you.”

My heart sped up and my stomach twisted within itself.

“Oh no.” I said with a forced frown, “Really it’s ok.”

Michael shook his head though clearly not accepting my decline.

“It’s pouring and you already look like a miserably soaked cat.” He teased tugging lightly at the sleeve of my t-shirt.

My eyes widened at how comfortable he was acting suddenly. Normally I probably would’ve been creeped out, but something about him was completely charming. I chewed on my bottom lip and toyed with the hem of my shirt. I ran a hand through my wet scraggily hair and exhaled heavily.

“Fine.” I agreed, “But only because I really don’t feel like getting on the bus.”

Michael’s grin widened and he followed closely behind me waiting patiently as I said my goodbyes to Andrew. He was parked in a parking garage not too far from the comic store but still offered me his hoodie to cover my head while we booked it to the garage. The drive home felt like it took forever, the first 15 minutes being nothing but me giving him directions. It wasn’t until we were only 10 minutes from my apartment that the conversation picked up. Michael admitted his love for video games, boasting every chance he got and was amazed when I knew my fair share of shit on the subject as well. We pulled up to my complex slowly and my body felt heavy as if a part of me didn’t want to get out. I let my eyes trail up and down Michael taking in every detail realizing I’d probably never see him again.

“Well, thank you.” I mumbled reluctantly.

Michael nodded approval and I reached for the door handle. Out of nowhere I felt a hand clamp down on my forearm. Startled I quickly turned towards Michael, my reaction causing him to quickly pull his hand back into his lap. We stared at each other for minute until Michael cleared his throat.

“So I uhm…” Michael struggled with his words, “I won’t be here for too much longer but I was wondering if maybe you’d want to uhm ya know get food or something with me?”

My stomach flew up and pressed into my heart and the fight or flight instinct triggered butterflies to beat against the inside of it. The logical part wanted me to say no, but the part that imagined all of these different cute scenarios that my heart had been yearning for for years was winning. It took me a minute to think of what to say and I half figured Michael was taking my silence as a no. I took a deep breath and nodded silently.

“Yeah.” I said simply, “Yeah I’d love to.”

His eyes widened but soon relaxed after he realized he looked too eager, a smirk covering up his excitement. We exchanged numbers and as I walked up the front steps to my building I mentally screamed at myself for making such a quick decision. I normally never gave into a guy so easily, but with Michael it was as if he had complete control over me and he didn’t even have to do anything to make it that way. Maybe it was his accent…maybe it was the torn and worn Jack Daniel’s shirt he wore that hung loose in all of the right places. Something about him had my full attention, and it was scaring me that I didn’t know what it was just yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
okk so I haven't done this in awhile, and this is a shitty chapter but
it'll pick up I promise :) Jackie's Outfit