Status: This is for Brinlee, so I hope you guys enjoy, too! :)

All I'll Ever Need

39. Adjustment

I thought that things would get easier as time went on. The more Sidney and I had each other, the easier it’d be to go without.

Wrong. Honestly, it felt like the more we had each other, the more we wanted. Matty and Suzie actually moved back out because we were so unbearable.

Well, that’s what they say, but in reality, I think they just wanted to get their own relationship going.

Things had gone about the same every day. Sidney either practiced or had a game, I focused on school and applied for an internship at the hospital, and then, when he got back home . . . in some way or another, we were together. It wasn’t all sex, though that would’ve been nice as well. Sometimes, we’d lounge around and watch movies, or go out on dates. Finally, I could tell people he was mine.

That also meant more media attention than I’d like, but if that was the only price I had to pay to be with Sidney, so be it.

Applying for that internship ended up paying off. Not even three days after I turned in my application, they called and said they would love to have me up there. So five days a week, during the evening shift, I was an intern at the ER.

It took a huge chunk out of the time Sidney and I spent together, considering hockey season was turning into playoff season pretty soon, but it was a wonderful experience. It felt good to be doing something worthwhile for once in my life, and Sidney was so proud of me.

One night, something changed the fairytale. It didn’t make me feel any less like life was a fairytale because all fairytales have villains, but it wasn’t the good part of the tale.

During a rather binding moment—can’t get any closer than we were—there was a strange noise outside. It was loud enough that we heard it in the middle of our activities, and Sidney was immediately alert. On his way out the door, he threw a t-shirt and shorts on, and he picked up a bat on his way out.

As it turned out, someone had been out there. Sidney went out and found footprints, large ones, and immediately called the chief. They investigated, informed me that Chuck had been arrested for manufacturing and distributing meth, and added Sid’s neighborhood to an officer’s nightly patrol in case it was Scott that had been outside of the window.

It made me feel a bit better, at least. Matty and Suzie were as relieved to hear Chuck wouldn’t be a problem anymore as I was.

So despite the reminder of the villain in my story, I had gotten used to this fairytale I was now living. Though I called it that, I knew life wasn’t really a fairytale, but if you can find someone who makes you feel like it is, you’re one of the lucky few.

And for once in my life, I was.
***

I enjoyed my internship. It had become a part of my life, and it helped me in my remaining classes more than I imagined. I knew my professor was a doctor at the hospital, but I didn’t imagine I’d ever run into him. He was surprised to see me there, but he was much friendlier after we ran into each other.

My life wasn’t just better in the love aspect of everything.

But . . . the love was definitely better.

My muscles twitched in anticipation as I saw headlights flash across the window. I hoped beyond hope that he was finally home, but they were gone before the idea could settle in my mind.

Letting out a soft groan, I stood from the couch and went straight for the kitchen. I didn’t know what I planned to do in there, but I had to get my mind off the waiting somehow.

Noticing the bottle of wine I bought, I turned for the silverware drawer and pulled out the wine bottle opener resting inside.

I wasn’t much of a wine drinker, but certain kinds were alright.

Just as I got the lid off, however, the front door opened, and I no longer gave two shits about the glass of wine I was about to make myself. Instead, I dropped everything and shuffled towards the door.

Sidney had a huge smile on his face when I got in the room, and his arms immediately wrapped around my small frame. I could feel the air quickly leave my lungs, and my heart was absolutely soaring in my chest.

“Hey, beautiful.”

“I missed you,” I mumbled into his shoulder.

Sidney was the only person in the world who could make me feel both small and infinite, but I wondered if I should feel small. Missing someone as much as I missed Sidney felt like a weakness to me, but feeling his arms wrapped around me, feeling his heat against my cheek . . . it made me feel strong. It felt like it was something worth missing, so how could it be a weakness?

His grip on me tightened. “I missed you, too.”

A rather devious smile grew on my lips, and I stepped out of his arms. I took one of his hands in mine and began pulling him backwards with me, towards the bedroom.

“I got something while you were gone. Wanna see it?”

The mood changed in an instant, and I didn’t have to pull Sidney along any further. Actually, he was suddenly pulling me.

But of course, I wasn’t going to stop him.
***

Waking up with the sun on my face was like no other feeling. No alarms, no work, no plans pulling me awake sooner than I wanted to be . . . today, Sidney and I actually had time to spend with one another. I was beyond excited and couldn’t wait to see what the day brought.

So waking up on my own time was refreshing, even if I did wake up to an empty bed. I didn’t hear the shower running, so I imagined Sid was probably downstairs making breakfast—or lunch, depending on the time.

I slipped into his dress shirt that was laying at the foot of the bed, and I buttoned up a few buttons in the middle to hold it on. My skin felt sticky, almost, from the arduous night before, so before heading downstairs to see what Sidney was up to, I stepped into the bathroom and started running water for a bath.

I didn’t get all the way down the stairs before I heard him talking to someone. I paused before making myself seen; if someone was here, I definitely needed to put more clothes on.
After just a few moments, hearing no voice but Sidney’s, I realized he was just on the phone.

The man who stood by the sink, looking out the window, was flawless. Soft olive skin, lit up by the rays of sun shining through the glass, covered the sculpted muscles that rippled with even the smallest of movements, and I could feel my mouth watering at the sight.

He had put on a pair of sweats, but those weren’t hard to get back off.

I was moving quietly, but I didn’t realize I had moved so quietly that Sidney didn’t even notice I was down here. Sure enough, he jumped a little as my arms wrapped around him, and I began placing soft kisses along the back of his shoulder.

I could feel his muscles tense, and he began struggling to even breathe. “Uh, yeah, Dad. Things are going great.”

Shit. If it was any of the guys, I probably wouldn’t have stopped, but his dad . . . I suddenly remembered that Sidney had parents.

That was a silly thing to forget, but I honestly had. He mentioned them from time to time, but it had slipped my mind that I would have to meet them one day.

What would they think of me? Everyone else had it in their minds that I was just a puck bunny, or a gold digger. Most didn’t actually believe I cared about Sidney.

They had absolutely no idea.

I distracted myself from the rather dismal thought by opening the fridge to see what was inside. Sidney hadn’t actually gotten around to making anything, so I decided to see what we could make after the bath.

“Yeah . . . yeah, that sounds good.”

One eyebrow rose, but I didn’t even look at Sidney. I kept my gaze focused on the refrigerator in front of me, skimming past the various Gatorades and vegetables stored in here. While I was a fan of salads, I didn’t want one for breakfast.

Eggs. I could make omelets.

Just as I turned to close the door, Sidney was at the end of his phone conversation. He placed it on the counter and took two large strides across the kitchen towards me.

Being pulled into Sidney’s arms so fervently was pretty exciting. It felt like he was clinging to me, like he never planned to let go.

“I have a bath running.”

He ducked down and pressed his lips against mine. “Mmm. Before I forget, my parents are coming to town Friday.”

“Okay,” I said, but I wasn’t really in the mood for talking. Or thinking. His lips met mine again, and I just wanted to get upstairs and hop into the bath with him.

Sidney and I were on the same page there. A bath was most definitely the only thing on his mind right now, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
The lyrics are from Don't Stop Now by the Maine. Love them. <3

I know it's been so long, and I really am sorry! Every time I tried to write more, it was just crap. So I'm really sorry about that, but I'm not giving up! I have a sequel planned for this story, actually, so this one will be coming to an end pretty soon.

I'll try to be better. I promise. It's going to be easier, I think, but I digress.

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. :) I'll put more as soon as I have it. Let me know what you think, yeah?