In the Shallows

Perplexity

The next morning was quite peaceful and yet filled with a fog of guilt and sadness, Carl had made it through with the help of Shane and Otis's trip to get the supplies needed. But, Otis didn't quite make it back. A life for a life. Crazy how the cycle worked. I had spent most of the night awake, I didn't feel safe for some reason and I ignored the possible reason why. We had all woken up early to help with the little chores the Greene family needed to do. I was quite taken back the moment I saw Shane, his brown locks were gone, it struck me as odd and his story about Otis was even stranger but I didn't want to think too hard on the matter.

We were picking up broken pieces of rocks and stones when we heard the hum of Merle's bike off in the distance. I looked up as I saw Daryl riding down the long dirt road, my heart quickening in it's pace. I was still angry with him, but I couldn't deny that it felt good to see him. We all rushed towards the front of the house to greet them, I had broken away and sprinted into the house, letting Lori and Rick know that the rest had came.

The three of us made our way out, my eyes locking onto Daryl but I quickly broke the gaze when Dale spoke up, "How is he?"

Lori's voice faltered but in a happy tone, "He'll pull through," She nodded, "Thanks to Hershel and his people."

Rick chimed in, "And Shane. We'd have lost Carl if not for him." I stood back as everyone started embrace each other. I wasn't into that, but I couldn't deny Carol when she came rushing towards me. I gave her a quick hug and pulled away and took a deep breath. Rick replied to Dale when he asked the obvious question, "Hunting accident. That's all, just a stupid accident."

We all caught up quickly with one and another and then proceeded back to where we were gathering rocks. Watching one by one as the Greene family stacked the rocks, it broke my heart, it really did. I couldn't put my finger on it but the way Shane acted about the whole matter wasn't genuine, it wasn't raw or emotional; it was more of guilt than anything. I felt Daryl's presence beside me, looking over at him, I gave him a small smile, it didn't mean anything nor did it really reach the full potential of being called a smile. He nodded back to me, shoving his hands under his armpits as we listened to Hershel say his prayers

"Blessed be God, father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him, for the gift of our brother Otis. For his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Shane," he called towards him, "will you speak for Otis?"

Shane shrugged it off, his attitude confirming more that this whole thing didn't feel right, "I'm not good at it. I'm sorry."

Otis' wife, Patricia tried to hold back tears as she locked eyes with him, "You were the last one with him. You shared his final moment, please? I need to hear, I need to know his death had meaning."

I chewed on my lip at her sadness, at the rate this world was going, I was never going to be comfortable with the death of people; even though death was happening all around. I wouldn't be able to not feel attached. I didn't even know Otis aside from him shooting Carl and I mourned for his absence.

Shane swallowed hard, "Okay." He took a step forward, his eyes avoiding everyone's stares, "We were about done, almost outta ammo, we were down to the pistols by then. I was limping, it was bad, ankle all swollen up. 'We've got to save the boy.' See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack, he shoved me ahead, 'Run' he said. He said, 'I'll take the rear, I'll cover you.' And when I looked back.." He trailed off, limping towards the wheel barrel of rocks, "If not for Otis." He picked up a rock and placed it on the pile, "I'd never made it out alive, and that goes for Carl too. It was Otis, he saved us both." He looked at Patricia, "If any death ever had meaning, it was his."

I glanced at Daryl, giving him a look that signaled that I didn't believe his story and responded back with a slight nod. I gave a sigh as we all dispersed into different directions, I, however followed Shane, Rick, Andrea, and Daryl towards one of the vehicles where Hershel stood.

His voice was so soft and tender, but I could tell behind that soft spoken man was a hell of a mean bark. "How long has this girl been lost?"

I shifted in my stance, "It'll be three days today." I looked up as Maggie; the woman who had been so kind enough as to take care of T-Dog, Glenn, and I, walk over with a map.

Rick groaned in happiness,"This is perfect, we can finally get this thing organized. We'll gride the whole area and start searching today."

Hershel spoke up, his voice concerned, his eyes drilling into Rick's head, "No you, not today. You gave three units of blood. You wouldn't be hiking five minutes in this heat before passing out." He looked at Shane, "And your ankle, push it now, and you'll be laid up a month. No good to anybody."

Daryl grunted, leaning over, "Guess it's just me. I'mma head back to the creek, work my way from there."

Shane spoke up, clearly pissed about not being able to help, "I can still be useful, I'll drive up to the interstate, see if Sophia wandered back."

Rick nodded, "All right, tomorrow then. We'll start doing this right."

"That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. They need the gun training we've been promising them."

Hershel turned away from Shane, "I'd prefer you not carrying guns on my property. We've managed so far without turning this into an armed camp."

Shane smirked, "All due respect, you get a crowd of those things wandering in here-"

"Look, we're guests here, this is your property and we will respect that." Rick laid down his gun on the hood of the car and waited for Shane to do the same, after Shane reluctantly laid out his pistol, Rick started again, "First things first, set up camp and find Sophia."

I walked away the second Daryl did, I gently reached out for his arm, "Daryl." I pursed my lips as he turned to face me, I couldn't read his face but I knew he was trying really hard to not to come off like his usual self, "I'm still mad at you but I don't want to be." I took a deep breath, letting it slowly, his eyes scanning over me, "Let me come with you."

He licked his lips and turned away from me a little, giving him a sideways glance, he nodded, "Alright, come on." He whistled loudly to get Rick's attention, "Lex is comin' with me." He hollered out and then motioned for me to follow.

It was a quiet walk, probably half an hour of just leave and grass crunching underneath our feet. I was very cautious of my surroundings but it was a force of habit whenever I was with Daryl that my body would relax. We eventually came to a clearing or part of yard, considering that was an old broken like home just a few feet away.

Daryl took off his crossbow and loaded it up, giving me a look, "Stay behind me."

I nodded as I followed his footsteps. I wanted to stab him in the neck when he kicked open the doors. I rolled my eyes as nothing come out or rushing towards the noise, it would figure that whatever Daryl did would only appear dangerous but not at all happen to be. I cringed as the floorboards creaked underneath our shoes, he scanned the living room, and I scanned the other room that was on my side, giving him an okay, we proceeded down the hall.

My heart was racing and I swear it was echoing in this empty house, we walked into the kitchen. I lowered my gun slightly as he started clearing out the other rooms surrounding the kitchen. I started walking towards the pantry door that hung a little ways open, giving him a look, I opened it. I bent down at the little makeshift bed, pressing my hand on the blanket and pillow, looking up towards Daryl, "Someone was recently here, hard to tell how far out." I sprang back up and walked out the open back door, "Sophia!"

Daryl walked further out onto the lawn and called for her too, it went on for a minute or so before he stopped and walked straight forward, he whistled for me to follow. I caught up to him just a few a seconds, my eyes falling upon a white flower with a gold center, "A Cherokee Rose." I breathed.

He plucked the two that were there and inspected them, he gave me a look before he started to speak, "Ya think Carol would like it?"

I bent down next to him, giving a soft smile, "I think she would love it."

Daryl cocked his head to the side and then looking away from me, squinting against the sun, "Ya still mad at me?"

"If you really think about it, I'm always mad at you." I gave a small chuckle, I always thought of him to be a beautiful misunderstood creature. He had rough features about him but if you really loved someone, you see past those kind of things. I was always this innocent, brown eyed, honey color haired girl. The town folk would always question and murmur with one another when they'd see me with the Dixons. I even remembered one had called the police because it wasn't right that a pretty girl like me was hanging around a bunch of rednecks, but I didn't see them the way others did. I looked past their imperfections and into their hearts, Daryl's being more warm than Merle's.

"Can you promise me one thing?" I asked. He groaned but nodded, "Promise me that you'll never stop fighting." I chewed on my lip, giving in and looking into those blue eyes, "If I lose you, I'll never make it."

I felt his rough hand on my jaw, he pulled me close to his face, his hot breath pricking at my skin, his voice a low growl, "If I lose you, I'll never make it. You'd be fine without me, Lex." He ripped away from me, standing straight up, "We gotta head back."

I sat there on the ground, my mind twisting and turning with the possible definitions of what he meant. I eventually stood up when I heard him hollering out my name that was followed with a string of curse words. I hopped up and sprinted after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Special thanks to tnagle5962, <3
Buckle up and prepare for some Alex&Daryl feels, because I have things brewing.
Is it bad that I can't wait to write where Merle comes back? I'm not even close to that part. D:

Image