In the Shallows

Anxious

I stood towards the back of the van, staring off into the streets leading away from the camp. It was giving me anxiety to know that I would be stepping onto open waters. I chewed on my lip, fidgeting with the hem of my long tank. I tried to even out my breathing but I just kept thinking of how terrified I was going to be the second I stepped foot into the city. Part of me was thinking that Merle wasn't worth it, but I knew that I would be borderline breaking Daryl's heart if I ever admitted to it.

"Alex?" I looked up to find Lori standing next to me, she pressed her lips into a smile. There was something about her that I didn't really like, I just couldn't pin point it. "You don't have to go, you know. This is Merle Dixon, honey." She dusted off her hands and crossed her arms, giving me a good stare down.

I looked away, whispering, "I have to."

She sighed, running a hand through her hair, giving me another one of those looks, "I haven't gotten the chance to know you much, but what are you Daryl Dixon?"

I avoided her stare, looking at the ground, "What?"

"Come on, now. I know you know what I meant. You've done nothing but go along with whatever he says. It's like you've lost your voice or opinion." I could hear her frown, "Are you his girlfriend or something?"

A snort came from my lips, shaking my head, I finally locked eyes with her, "No. I'm nothing like that." I took a deep breath, giving her sideways glance, "He's just-he's always been there for me. I've known him a long time. Him and Merle." I chewed the inside of my cheek, I didn't have to explain Daryl to no one, but I felt like I had too. "People are so quick to judge him, but they don't know him," Sighing, I crossed my arms over my body, "they have to stop judging him by what they see, because what they see is what he wants them to see. Everybody has their own story, a reason why they are the way they are. No one has the right to judge someone they don't know."

Lori nodded, uncrossing her arms, she placed them in her back pocket, cocking her head to the side, "You know, you sure are smart for someone who don't say much around here. But, I get it. I guess in the sorts of things, I'd do the same." She cleared her throat as Daryl made his way towards us, she nodded off again, "See you when you get back."

I sighed, nodding back to her. I started to bite the side of my middle finger, something I did when my anxiety was shooting through the roof. I vaguely remembered the day that all of this happened, all I did remember was getting ready for work and Daryl bursting through my front door. He was hollering and yelling, he had literally dragged me out of my house after he thrown a few necessitates into a bag.

"Ya nervous?"

I looked up at him, nodding, "More so scared."

He shook his head, glancing down at his bow, "You got me. Ain't gotta be scared."

"I know, but-"

"-But, nothin'." He gave me a hard look, his brows knitting together, "Lex.." He started, he walked towards me, moving my hand away from my mouth, "Ya ain't gotta worry. Promised I'd keep ya safe and I'm gon' jus' do that. But, ya know we gotta get Merle, right?"

I nodded, "I know." Sighing, "He's your brother."

I felt his hand on my jaw, making me look into his eyes, "I'd do it for ya, too. I'd risk my own life over and over jus' to save ya, Lex. Ya know that, right?"

"I know." I repeated, looking down as he placed a handgun in my hands, checking the clip and chamber, I locked it. "Remember when you took me out hunting that one time and you got us lost for a week?" It was memories like those that made me wish things hadn't gotten to ugly and wrong.

He grunted, rolling his eyes, "Why ya gotta remind me all the god damn time? Can't ya jus' let that one go?"

I shook my head, "Nope." I smiled as he gave me a short lived smile. I reminisced back to that day, he had forgotten to pack a map and by the time we had realized it, we were way off the beaten path. Apart of me felt like we were going to be stuck out there forever, but, he eventually had gotten us back home. He was shocked that I had even agreed to go back out with him after that whole incident, but I knew that as long as I had Daryl, everything would be fine.

Daryl pointed a clean arrow towards me, giving me a dirty look, "Rotten little girl."

I rolled my eyes, smacking him upside the head, "Stop calling me that, you prick." I may be the only person alive that was able to slightly hit him and have him not freak out on me. I guess that was just partly to deal with who I was to Daryl. I knew when to voice my opinions and knew when not too. I knew how Daryl worked and half the time I felt like I should give a class to these people on when to not go there.

He chuckled, turning away from me, "Ya always be a little girl, Lex."

I was about to respond but Shane came jogging up the trail, his eyes immediately falling on my the gun in my hand, "Whoa, why does she got a gun? We're tryin' to save ammo, not waste it." I rolled my eyes again, Daryl giving me a slight smirk and a nod, I nodded back. Holding up the gun and aiming it a little ways away from Shane, cocking it, I pulled back the trigger and he about pissed himself. "What the HELL you think your doin' aiming that fucking gun at my head."

I rolled my eyes, motioning behind him towards the No Trespassing sign that hung up on the little makeshift gate. I revealed that I shot right through the little O, shoving the gun behind my back, I crossed my arms. "Can we move on from the whole me not being able to to shot a gun thing?" I pursed my lips at his surprised expression, "I've spent most of my life running around with the Dixons, don't underestimate me."

Shane shook his head, mumbling profanities under his breath, turning towards me, he pointed a crooked finger, "Imma keep an eye on you."

"That's my job," Daryl spat.

Shane scoffed, shoving his hands on his belt, "Well, keep a good eye on you girlfriend, then." He turned on his heel before Daryl had the chance to respond.

I could feel the anger bubbling inside of him, "Daryl," I warned, "They'll think what the think."

He snorted, squinting his eyes towards me, "Ya think I'm pissed at him callin' you my girlfriend? Hell no, I'm pissed 'cause he's an arrogant bastard who thinks he's a fuckin' smartass.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair, "We don't have much of choice to deal with him, come on, you've dealt with Merle your whole life."

"That's dif'rent, Lex."

I smirked, "You're right, Merle's worse."
♠ ♠ ♠
Pre-written chapters are the best.
Having a bit of writers block with my other Daryl story :/

I'm going to try to have some chapters that derive from the episodes a bit.
Give you beautiful people a little insight on Alex's and Daryl's relationship.

Image