In the Shallows

Tenacious

The sound of the fire crackling, forks being scraped against plates, the sound of Andrea sharpening a knife, and the unsettling silence among us all; was absolutely excruiating. I knew I was a quiet one but I couldn't take it when everyone else was silent. I shook my head as Carol came around offering seconds, I wasn't really hungry and that should have struck me as odd; seeing as there was hardly any food for us. But, I couldn't eat with the piece of information Lori had revealed to me. I wanted to so badly tell Daryl but I knew I couldn't. The only real question that floated in my mind was; was it Rick or Shane's?

I glanced up from my seat as Glenn started pacing, I rose an eyebrow, setting my plate down on the ground, "What's up Glenn?" I had noticed he had been acting strange over the last few days and I only assumed it had to deal with Maggie.

Glenn swallowed hard, "Um, guys." He stumbled over his words, not really locking eyes with anybody. He shifted in his stance, it was obvious that he was nervous about something. I glanced over towards Daryl and he answered with a shrug, we all focused back on him as he stuttered oh, "So, the barn is full of walkers."

If we could have gotten anymore silent, we had just did at the moment those words left his lips. We all exchanged glances, some more afraid than others. I felt my chest tighten and air being restricted, how the hell did we miss this. I cleared my throat, speaking the words we all wanted to say, "Are you sure?"

He nodded, fumbling with his hands, "I wouldn't have said it if I didn't see it myself." Glenn started to freak out, "I had to tell you guys, I just couldn't keep it to myself."

I sat frozen while everyone scrambled up towards the barn. I chewed nervously on my middle finger, my leg bouncing, my eyes following the others. Every possible scenario played like lightning speed in my brain and it started to make me hyperventilate. I felt Daryl's strong hand on my shoulder, motioning me to follow. I nodded and caught up with them just in time for Shane to reveal how he truly felt about the whole Sophia ordeal.

"Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility." He bore his eyes into Carol.

I took a step forward, venom hitting my words, "We can't leave without Sophia."

Daryl agreed, "I'm close to findin' this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago."

It was never without doubt that Shane and Daryl would always end up fighting without each other, Shane scoffed, humor hinting at his words, "You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll."

"Ya don' know what the hell you're talking 'bout." I quickly reached forward, pulling Daryl away from Shane. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen if neither Rick or I stepped in.

Shane tried to come closer, "I'm just saying what needs to be said!" But Rick held out his arm to keep him from getting any closer to Daryl. I bit my lip, whispering calming words to him. "You get a good lead, it's in the first 48 hours."

Rick yelled, his temper rising, "Shane, stop!"

But, he wasn't having it. He pushed Rick's arm out of the way and started walking towards Daryl and I, "Let me tell you something else, man. If she was alive out there and saw you coming all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction."

This whole hitting thing was starting to become a problem. It wasn't Daryl who leaped forward, it was me. Andrea was a first for me but so was Shane. I had innocently slapped Andrea the first time, but I straight up punched Shane right in the nose. I felt strong hands pulled me back but it was on. My rage just overtook my body, I started to kick and scream, "Fuck you Shane! I don't believe for a god damn second you were a fucking police officer!"

"Why you little bitch!"

I tried to remove whoever's hands were around my waist the second he called me a bitch, "Your duty is to protect and serve but I don't see you trying to serve those who need your fucking help." I struggled again to get the person off of me, "Get off!" I glanced back towards Shane, "All you've been is a fucking pessimistic arrogant asshole who's been nothing but a jealous little bitch because your best friend is alive and everyone looks to him instead of you." I stopped fighting, my rage episode slowly washing away from me, "I don't care who the hell you think you are but don't sit here and try to rationalize our safety because you have the audacity to just give up. You don't want to help? Fine, go take your little green SUV and get the hell out."

Shane scoffed, wiping the blood away from his nose, "I guess we know your true colors now don't we, little Miss. field mouse?"

Daryl scoffed, "It ain't her true colors, you asshole." They exchanged for more petty words before they started to get into a brawl. I was gently pushed towards the side by T-Dog as he and the other rushed to break up their fight. I was still heaving with anger, I hated Shane. I took deep breaths as my eyes locked onto Daryl the second it was done and over with.

Rick yelled in frustration, "Just let me talk to Hershel. Let me figure it out."

Shane yelled back, but twice the volume, "What are you gonna figure out?!" He started to charge at Rick but Lori held her ground and kept it from getting any closer. This day had turned out to be one of the most quietest mornings we had ever experienced to the loudest morning.

Rick gritted his teeth, pointing towards the barn, "If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land."

Dale stepped him, "Hershel sees those things in there as people, sick people. His wife, his stepson."

We all squinted her eyes towards Dale as Rick spoke our thoughts, "You knew?"

He nodded, "Yesterday, I talked to Hershel."

Shane's voice was like poison in our all ears, "And you waited the night?"

"I thought we could survive one more night. We did." He firmly stated, his eyes turning back towards Rick, "I was waiting till this morning to say something, but Glenn wanted to be the one."

"The man is crazy, Rick. If Hershel thinks those things are alive or no-"
He was cut short by the sounds of the geeks trying to break out of the barn, I instantly stumbled backwards. My body pressing firmly against Daryl, I looked up at him, his expression reading mine. I felt his hand grip my wrist as he pulled me slightly away from it, but if those doors broke down, it would have done no good. I couldn't begin to imagine how many of those monsters were in there. My brain wouldn't allow either way, it was too jumbled my anger that was still aimed towards Shane.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is one of my favorite Alex moment's so far.
Mainly because she punched Shane in the face and I'm
pretty sure we all wanted too at some point. But because
she's breaking out of the little cocoon of hers. She's getting rid of
that mouse vibe and turning into something else....just don't know yet.

Leave your love. I'm still blown away by the subscribers. <3

This is still one of my favorite things his character has ever said. I don't know why but it makes me giggle every time.
Image