In the Shallows

Bittersweet

I had never ran so fast in my life, I felt my legs burn, but I didn't care. I could hear the screams and yells of the others running but Daryl and I got there first. I squealed as I saw a walker over top of Dale, I didn't think and I couldn't think. I grabbed Daryl's knife in his hand and instinctively threw right at the walker's head. I gasped for air, tears rushing out of my eyes. Daryl gave me an astonished look but quickly washed away when I scrambled to his side. "Dale!"

"Help! Over here!" Daryl jumped up and down to signal our location to the others who were running blind. Once they knew the general idea, he bent down, he glanced down at Dale, "Hang in there, buddy."

My mouth dropped open but no sounds came out as I looked at his wounds, everyone had caught up and everyone kept repeating the three words we only knew what to say. Oh my god. I whimpered as Daryl pulled me slightly away and into his lap, I turned around and clung to his neck as I joined in on the sobs. I couldn't take this anymore. Everyone that I had come to love was dying and I just couldn't do it anymore. I was tired of fighting for my life against these monsters that just grew in numbers.

I turned my head once Hershel arrived, my heart hopeful but I knew in the back of my mind that Dale was done for. I whimpered again when he replied with he couldn't do anything. I pulled myself away from Daryl and crawled slightly to Dale who looked at me, his eyes so full of pain and confusion.

"He's suffering, "Andrea sobbed out, "do something!"

I glanced up at Rick who hesitantly pulled out his pistol. I could see the pain in him that everyone else portrayed. I blinked back tears, Dale wouldn't want us to mourn and be so upset but how could we not? He was an important person in this group as well as our hearts.

Andrea cried, "Oh god." She turned her head away, her hand clutching onto Dale's.

I rocked back on my knees as I watched in tear filled eyes Rick pausing, I knew he didn't want to do it. None of us wanted Dale to die, but his wound was making him suffer with pain. I whimpered again as Daryl took the gun out of Rick's hand, he gingerly nodded towards Rick as he aimed the gun to Dale's head.

He bent down, his actions proving that he didn't want to be the on either. He cocked the gun, he gave me a quick glance, I nodded slightly and he looked back down at Dale, his eyes locking onto his. "Sorry, brother." He said and with that he pulled the trigger.

After everyone had come to terms with Dale's passing, we all started to walk towards the campsite and the house. It was known that tomorrow morning was when they would move Dale's body and dig a grave. I felt so dead. I couldn't even feel my feet moving, everything inside of me just turned off. I felt a hand gently grab my wrist,

"Hey, slow up for a sec."

I turned around to be faced with Daryl, "Hm?"

He guided me away from everyone, his knife was back in it's holster, he led me a little bit past the tree line, "Ya alright?" He stepped closer as he lifted my chin up, worry lacing his face.

I moved away from his hand, "No." I swallowed hard, tears brimming my eyes again, "I can't stop thinking about the last words I said to him." I took a deep breath, trying to keep my tears from falling, "I was so negative and harsh."

"Hey, hey." His voice was soft, his rough calloused hands gripped my cheeks, "Dale ain't stupid, Lex. I doubt he was thinkin' 'bout that. We all said some pretty negative things."

"Why him, though?"

"Why anyone of us?" I shrugged and a let a tear fall, his hand came up to my eye and wiped away, "Lex," he started, his blue eyes twinkling, "I-I." He clamped his mouth shut and looked away, "Come on, let's get goin'. They'll start to wonder."

I snorted, "It's not like we're doing anything."

He gave me a cute little smirk, "They'd know if we were."

His smile was contagious, almost instantly my sadden thoughts of Dale disappeared, "A little confident there aren't we?"

Daryl scoffed, "It ain't confidence. It's the truth."

I bit my lip, giving him a quick peck on his cheek, "We'll see one day, Mr. Dixon." I wasn't given the chance to walk away because I was fiercely pulled back to him. His hand snaked around my waist and my body was pressed tightly against his, it took me by surprise, "Daryl?"

I could feel his heart racing, but I wasn't trying to occupy my time with that. I was more curious as why he had me so close to him. His husky voice rang in my ears, "Why ya gotta do this to me?" His mouth was close to my ear, it tickled with he breathed out, "It's gettin' real hard to be around ya."

I pulled away slightly, so that I could stare into those beautiful blue eyes, "Daryl, what are you talking about?" It was at that moment that I was sure that our hearts were beating the same. Not because of some love romance type shit but because he was making me nervous.

He nuzzled in the crook of my neck, "It always was you, you know."

"Hm?"

Daryl pulled away, his hand loosening, partly making me sigh because I didn't want him to let go, "It was you. Anytime I wanted to do things with Merle or some shit, I always thought of you." He took a step back from me, "Ya voice would always creep in my head, makin' me rethink half the shit I did." His mouth twitched, "When I fell down those rocks and stabbed myself with my arrow, I jus' wanted to give up. But, ya made me promise you to keep tryin'. So I did."

I felt tears brimming my eyes, "Oh, Daryl."

"It ain't 'bout why I don' wanna be with ya, it 'bout the off chance something happens to one of us." He stared hard into my eyes, "Can't letcha' go the rest of ya life tryin' to remember me."

I took a deep breath, my voice shaking, "Daryl," I firmly said, "I've only ever fallen in love with one person in my life and honestly I'll probably die loving that same person." I clenched my jaw, "Don't ever think that I'll forget you, because I can't and I won't."

"Lex-"

"-no," I shook my head, "I'm tired of trying to hide behind this lie I keep repeating in my head. It's plain as day that I love you, Daryl. Obviously. I'm probably the only female in this world that would put up with your shit." I smiled softly, "I stuck around not only because I had to but I wanted to."

Daryl nodded, giving me a sideways glance. It took him a little bit to respond, his mouth twitching again, "Okay, so what do we do 'bout it?"

I half smiled, "We?"

He groaned, turning away from me, "Ain't gonna sit here and express my feelings, Lex. Ya already know how I feel."

"Actually I don't know. I just assume."

"Well, ya assumption prolly' right then." Daryl gave me a small smirk, "Ya jus' gonna be more of a pain in the ass, right?"

I smiled back, shrugging, "I always have been." I sighed, "I don't know what this conversation makes us, Daryl. I really don't. All I do know is that I never want to feel this way about someone else ever."

He nodded back, " Me either."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yowza. Ya'll were doing so good with these comments. :|
What happened? :| I guess this is the moment everyone's been so patiently waiting for.
We will embark on the Alex&Daryl train.

thank you;
michellee - Daryl is just too yummy and cute for words. UGH.

Image