In the Shallows

Violated

It was still crazy to me that even though it had been a little over a year of this outbreak of whatever the hell this thing was, I could still lose focus and allow my brain to get swirled with confusion. Anyone would think that I would have learned to control my thoughts and freak outs by now. Yet here I stood, with my mind spinning and my feet moving. I wasn't comprehending anything, Daryl was doing most of the work, his tight grip on my arm, guiding me back to the cell block.

Everything had happened so fast that when we arrived back at the cell block, I almost blanked with Rick asked me to stay with Daryl to keep the prisoners from coming further in. I felt like a toddler, what did those words mean?

"Lex?"

I snapped out of my daze, "Y-yeah?"

"You good?" His blue eyes trailed over my body, sending a mixture of chills and embarrassment. I still got slightly shy whenever Daryl would glance over me, I felt gross and dirty, there was no way I would ever feel comfortable with him staring me down in this mess.

I nodded, pursing my lips, "Yeah, I just blanked. Shock, I guess." I bit my lip this time, checking the chamber of my gun, "Do you think he'll be-"

"-stop, Lex. He's gonna be fine." He propped one leg up on the seat of the tables , his elbow rested on his thigh while he kept his bow pointed and steady, "Game face, Lex."

I nodded again, taking in his words, almost believing in them. I shook out my nerves and narrowed my eyes towards the entrance with my gun aimed. If Daryl needed me to cover him, I had to. There was no time for me to act all scared even if these guys were complete criminals and they were actually alive.

My heart raced when I saw them walk through, the man with dark eyes and dark shoulder length hair rolled in first. He was the one who scared me the most, not to judge a book by it's cover but it was pretty evident on what got him in this place. I was slightly familiar with his gang related tattoos that were sprawled across his arms. Daryl's voice broke the silence, "That's far enough."
He spoke up, his eyes full of venom, "Cell block C, cell 4, that's mine gringo. Let me in." He started to make another step but my gun followed him, making him hesitate, his eyes trailing over me.

"Today's your lucky day, fellas. You've been pardoned by the state of Georgia, you're free to go." Daryl's voice remained calm and it was moments like this that made me wonder how he did it. How he always seemed to stay so level headed in moments where it called for frantic behavior. Granted he's had his days where he completely blew up at the world and he was labeled as a hot head but he could keep a steady aim and chew you out all at the same.

"What you got going on in there?"

I snarled, "It's none of your damn business."

He laughed, pulling out the gun, "Damn, princess." He narrowed his dark eyes on me, "Don't tell me it's none of my damn business."

Daryl moved quickly, his finger hovering over the trigger, but he was interupted by the bigger darker skinned man, "Chill, man. The dude's leg is messed up. Besides, we're free now, why are we still in here?"

"Your friend's got a point." I snapped, my body boiling with anger. I hated the way this guy looked at me, like I was some whore in one of his dirty magazines.

"Yeah and I gotta check on my old lady," the bigger guy stated.

The guy gritted his teeth, "A group of civilians breaking in to a prison? You got no business being in. Got me thinking there ain't no place for us to go."

Daryl took a step forward, "Why don' you go find out?"

A southern man spoke up, taking a step back, "Maybe we'll just be going now."

"Hey! We ain't leaving."

T-Dog came from the shadows, his voice thick with hate, "You ain't coming in either."

I growled when he pointed at T-Dog, all my fear turning into anger. There was no way these assholes were going to take away what would potentially save our lives. "You want two bullets and an arrow up your ass? No? Put that fucking gun down."

He scoffed, "Shut up princess, this is my house, my rules. I go where I damn well please."

Daryl growled back, "This ain't ya house anymore."

T-Dog nodded, "So back the fuck up."

The guy laughed, "I ain't taking shit from redneck, a princess, and some-"

"-some what? Huh?" T-Dog aggressively took a step forward.

"T, watch it." I warned, I wasn't really in the mood to end someone's life, whether or not it looked like I was. T-Dog flickered a look at me and nodded, stepping back but his aim still stood. I turned my attention back to the men, "Why don't you just turn your asses around and walk out of here."

The man snorted, looking me up and down, licking his lips, "I don't take orders from a princess, but I do gotta admit, you're one fine piece of-."

Daryl growled, "-you're really gonna get an arrow up the ass, now."

"Oh what, is this your girlfriend?" He rubbed his chin, his eyes undressing me.

"What of it?" T-Dog snarled, "It don't matter, you don't talk to her like that."

"Damn, princess is into that? Oh boy, let me get in it." He pointed his finger at me, "She's got nice legs, don't you guys think so?" He turned back to his 'friends' and they all looked in opposite directions

I felt my chest tighten, "Can I please shoot him?" I growled.

"If I don't do it first," T-Dog responded, his jaw clenched. I could see the anger in both his and Daryl's eyes, and it made me slightly uncomfortable. I knew I could stop Daryl from unleashing all that pent up anger but I didn't know so much about T. "I'd gladly appreciate if you'd start treating her with respect."

That damn laugh made me want to pull the trigger, "Princess doesn't get no respect from me, homes. Ladies get respect not whores."

"HEY!" Daryl roared, his bow a few inches from the guys face, "I'd keep that mouth shut if you want to live homes."

He smirked, ignoring the arrow that was close to his forehead, locking his eyes on me, I cringed, "You must like it when they fight over you, huh? Tell me which one of them is going to be gettin' it tonight? This one?" He motioned towards Daryl, "The one who's gonna kill me in your honor or this big fella who's telling me to respect you?"

I gritted my teeth, my eyes hardening, "And you tell me if you're going to see what tomorrow looks like?"

His smile faded, his eyes filling with venom again, "Fuck all of you, let me in!"

"Look I ain't gonna tell you again," Daryl said, his voice getting angrier, "There ain't nothin' for you here. Why don' you go back to your own sandbox!"

"Hey hey hey! Everyone relax, there's no need for this." Rick came around the corner, his hands held up. His eyes shifted through all of us, "Just relax."

I swallowed hard, backing up slowly, I gave Rick a look, holding out my hands for his set of keys. He handed them to me slowly, giving me a raised brow, but I ignored it. I felt disgusted and I just wanted to get away from that creep. I had never felt so violated from the way someone looked at me, it was way different from Daryl, at least with him, I liked him. Entering the cell block, I handed Carl the keys, standing at the entrance where everyone sat taking care of Hershel, "Is he okay?"

"He seems to be for now." Maggie replied, her voice quivering, "We need antibiotics or something."

I excused myself when I saw Lori and Carol's arms covered in blood, it made my stomach churn. Finding my way to the top of the stairs, I sat down, taking in breaths, trying to ignore the sounds around me. I tried to think of a memory that I hadn't replayed in awhile, but I couldn't focus, my chest felt like it was filled with rocks. I worried about Hershel, hoping and praying that he was going to be alive. I didn't know what was more selfish, letting him die or cutting off his leg and making him deal with that pain and struggle in this new world. Either way, I was praying he was going to make it out okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image