In the Shallows

Abandon

"Everybody listen up."

I stopped what I was doing and stared at Shane, it bugged me how he felt like he was the one in charge. I mean in a way I guess somebody had to be, but Shane lacked leadership qualities. He was just stubborn and only cared for himself. Him and Merle weren't so different in selfishness and that was bit of a problem.

"Those of you with C.B's, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan, alright? Any questions?"

I gave a quick glance towards Daryl who seemed to be a bit upset about leaving this place. I knew that he wanted Merle to be back but if he hadn't shown up by now? I wasn't exactly sure he was going to show up, period. My attention was pulled in a different direction by Morales.

"We're-we're not going." We all just stared at him and his family, I could see a variations of different emotions wiping over everyone's faces. But, I sort of understood where he was coming from, he had a family to protect and Shane even said it himself, the C.D.C wasn't a hundred percent.

Miranda spoke up, fear was very clear on her face, "We have family in Birmingham, we want to be with our people."

Shane narrowed his eyes slightly, "You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back."

Morales nodded, "We'll take the chances, I got to do what's best for my family."

Rick seemed unsure of their decision, "You sure?"

He nodded again, "We talked about it and we're sure."

I chewed on my lip, this was all insane. Our numbers were shrinking rapidly and I was almost afraid for them. I would be terrified to be out there alone with my family, if I had a family like his. I'd want protection for my kids. But, he had to do what was best for his family and I respected that. I looked up as Rick and Shane handed Morales a gun and box half full of ammo, I felt Daryl pull away from my side in annoyance. My hand reached out and grabbed his wrist, pulling him to stay where he was. My eyes narrowed into his, mouthing the words, stop. Even though we didn't have the ammo to spare, we had to give something to Morales. He had done his part in keeping this camp safe for as long as it was. He deserved it.

I watched as everyone said their goodbyes, I wasn't much of an affectionate person towards others so I just stood still. I nodded in their direction when they looked towards Daryl and I. I could see the anger in his eyes but I gave him another look.

"Come on, let's go." Shane called out.

Everyone started to pile in the different and various vehicles while I climbed into the truck that held Merle's bike. Propping my feet up on the dash, I turned my head over towards Daryl who climbed in the driver side, he gave me a slight nod. I nodded back and looked out my window, looking out into the trees. It was sad that no one could embrace the beauty of nature when the world was ending as we knew it, it was so peaceful and breath taking. I couldn't help but smile, at least someone was admiring what mother nature had to offer. I was just hoping that I wouldn't be the last. We had been driving for about an hour or so before we all stopped, raising an eyebrow, I climbed out of the truck. Making my way to the front of line, seeing a cloud of smoke coming from the front of the RV.

Dale frowned, looking at Rick, "I told you we'd never get far on that hose. I said I needed the one from the cube van."

Rick sighed, "Can you jury-rig it?"

"That's all it's been so far." He explained, looking back down into the RV, "It's more duct tape than hose, and I'm out of duct tape."

Shane looked through a pair of binoculars, "I see something up ahead, a gas station if we're lucky."

Jacqui bolted out of the RV, her expression reading exhaustion and fear, "Ya'll it's Jim. It's bad, I don't think he can take anymore." Daryl and I exchanged glances, as she ran back in.

Shane pursed his lips, "Hey Rick, you want to hold down the fort? I'll drive ahead, see what I can bring back." Rick nodded, while T-Dog offered to go along. "Keep an eye out, now."

I watched as he drove away, leaning against the car, I squinted my eyes at the Georgia sun, it was getting awfully hot. Tossing my golden locks up into a pony tail, I received a look from Glenn, "What?"

Glenn swallowed hard, shaking his head, "Nothing-nothing. I just uh-never saw you with your hair up before."

Daryl spoke up, "Might wanna take a picture, it'll last longer."

I gave Daryl a playful mean look, "Stop, don't embarrass him. At least someone notices me." I gave Glenn and wink and gave Daryl a fake dirty look which he responded with a scoff and walked away. The conversation from the night before rang in my head, but I quickly shook it out. A few minutes had passed by and Rick walked out of the RV looking a bit confused and upset, "Everything alright?"

Rick shook his head, "No, but I want to wait till Shane and T-Dog get back." I nodded, suddenly confused too. It wasn't long until the two did show up that Rick had us all huddled around him, he started to explain, "It's what he says he wants."

I chewed on my finger, "And he's completely awake? Not dazed or anything?" Jim couldn't be serious. We couldn't just leave him out here to die. We just couldn't.

Rick looked down at his hat, "He seems to be. I would say yes." We all exchanged glances, Jim had to be disoriented, there just no way.

Dale spoke up, "Back in the camp when I said Daryl might be right and you shut me down," He started to shake his head, "You misunderstood. I would never go along with callously killing a man. But, I was just gonna suggest that we ask Jim what he wants. And I think we have an answer."

I shook my head, this was crazy, "We can't do that. No, we can't."

Daryl gave me a sideways glance, his eyes squinting towards me, "It's what the man wants."

Shane scoffed, "We just leave him here? We take off? Man I'm not sure I could live with that." Oh you couldn't live with leaving a man to die but you could live with fucking your best friends wife? What a drastic line you have.

Lori sighed, "It's not your call. Either one of you."

"You can't be serious, guys." I ran my hand over my face, "He's going to be bait out here." I was met with sad and understanding expressions, but none of them took my side. I groaned, shaking my head as Shane and Rick went in and retrieved him. I looked at Daryl, "Are you okay with this?" I whispered.

He shrugged, "One less person to worry 'bout."

I rolled my eyes walking away from him, my heart broke the second they placed him against the tree. I understood he was hurting, hell, I could practically feel it. But, I just couldn't wrap my head around the idea of just leaving him here. He joked about a tree which I didn't understand but at least he was joking in his last minutes of being alive. I stood next to Daryl as everyone said their goodbyes, a tear fell down my eye as I walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Blown away by the subs/readers. Give me some Daryl love. <3
anybody get this reference? <3
Image