Unleashed

Unleashed 15

Tuesday morning, Dean woke up with a stiff body and a headache. He ambled to the master bath with his hand on his lower back, remembering he hadn't slept well due to unpleasant dreams about Clayton. Getting his oldest brother out of his life was his first priority, or maybe it was telling Jess about Jared. Both instances deserved his immediate attention. He'd tell Jess when he had time to explain and to be there to console her, not to drop the bombshell on his way out the door this morning.

"Jess. Hey, Jess?" Dean called out. His wife and Tinkerbell weren't around. He found a puddle at the bottom of the stairs—after he'd stepped in it—and one on the carpet in the living room. "This is a bunch of bullshit," Dean muttered. He found a note on the kitchen counter when he retrieved cleaning supplies from the cupboard under the sink.

Dean,
I took Tinkerbell for a walk and to show her off to our friends. She made potty in the house so I took her outside right away. Could you clean that up for me? Please, baby? You're so sweet. Love you!!!

He gritted his teeth the whole time he cleaned the carpet. That damn dog was going to make him late for the office. No, he blamed Jess, not the innocent pup. Then, he decided, he couldn't blame her either. His anger had been misdirected. Actually, he was pissed off at Clayton for rejecting him. That got him thinking. He had to ask Tate to draw up divorce papers. He groaned, displeased. He had another long day and night ahead of him.

At the hotel, Dean checked each area to see if it was running smoothly, then at 1:45pm, he went to Riviera to see Jared. Dean walked into the break room and saw his lover watching a show on the TV affixed to the wall.

Dean snuck in and put his hands over Jared's eyes. "Guess who," he'd disguised his voice.

"Um, Scooby Doo? Spiderman? You've come to give me an upside down kiss? Oh! I know. It's Jackson Rathbone, my favorite vampire. Mmm, bite me on the neck, baby. I'm yours forever." Jared snickered, trying to remain serious.

"You have a vampire fetish, or rather, a Jasper fixation," Dean whispered with a southern drawl, imitating the sexy vampire. He lowered his head, opened his mouth to show his teeth and bit Jared's neck as hard as he thought Jared could take it.

"Uhhng!" Jared moaned, sounding like he was getting off. Dean had to move his hand from Jared's eyes to his mouth so no one would hear the erotic sounds pouring forth.

"Shh," Dean hissed against Jared's wet neck.

Jared turned in his chair and stood up. He hugged Dean, his hands resting on Dean's lower back. "I'm so happy to see you." Jared tried to say more, but Dean silenced him with a kiss.

Resting cheek to cheek, Jared asked with some hesitation, "How did she take it?"

Dean stepped back and gazed at Jared's face. "Jess?"

"Yes, is she okay or...?" He was honestly concerned for her, not wanting anyone to get hurt over this, but it was inevitable. He felt the weight of guilt on his shoulders too. He'd broken up a home.

"I didn't tell her," Dean's voice shook and a heavy feeling took over his stomach.

Jared's muscles stiffened and he let out a huff with an onset of anger. "Why not? What's stopping you?"

"It's not the right time. I will eventually."

Jared rubbed his own upper arms while starting at Dean. Did Dean lie to him last weekend? Had he been played? Sudden disorientation fell upon him and he stepped away from Dean. "I don't believe you will ... and ... I think you should go. Now." He nodded to the door.

"Whoa, whoa." Dean panicked, searching Jared's eyes. "Where is this coming from?"

"You really don't know? This happened before. You promised you'd tell her and you still haven't." He added under his breath, "I don't think you ever will."

"Jared, I'm not lying to you. I have so much shit going on in my life right now. I'm waiting until the time is right."

Jared dipped his chin to his chest. "Fine, you wait. I'm giving you all the time in the world. I'm freeing you of any obligations to me. According to what you've just stated, I've determined I'm not important enough to be at the top of your list." His breeze hit Dean as he stormed out of the room muttering a few curse words.

Dean felt a coldness of dread at his core. Losing Jared was the worst thing that could happen right now, but he couldn't share what he was going through—the selling of the hotel and coping with his homophobic brother. Dean's legal problems were his own. Confiding in Jared would be a mistake, a grave one. His lover seemed like the type who'd take the blame for Clayton wanting to get rid of Dean; meaning Dean had to keep Jared in the dark to protect him just until Dean could resolve this mess.

He stared off at nothing before he walked through the back of the kitchen, eyeing Jared. Since the head chef wouldn't turn to look at him, Dean went to him, touching his arm to get his attention. "I love you."

"I love you too, Dean. I just hope you don't break my heart."

Dean's fingers trailed down Jared's arm, leaving goosebumps where he'd touched him. "Have faith in me."

Jared wondered if Dean had spoken quietly to soften the blow of hurting him. "Can I see you tonight after work?"

Dean said no and left without an explanation.
﴿﴾ ﴿﴾ ﴿﴾
The meetings with Tate and Darrell went well last night. Each professional man agreed the best course of action was for Dean to sell his brothers a third of his shares for full value and live off the other quarter. This was fine with Dean. Clayton wouldn't have full ownership as he desired. The business would be in the hands of all three committed brothers who'd bring continued success to Bennington's Hotels. If Clayton tried to pull some stunt, Tate Holloway was prepared as a very aggressive attorney to get Clayton's lawyer to take the deal.

Dean was barely awake when he arrived home. Tinkerbell was so excited to see him that she peed next to where he stood.

"Jess!" he yelled, looking down on the small pup with round, dark eyes and white and tan hair.

"Oh you're home." She patted her mouth as she yawned. "Come to bed, why are you standing there?" She glanced down. "Aw, Tinkerbell was waiting for you too."

"I'm so tired I'm about to collapse. Clean up her mess." Dean had no motivation left in his body to climb the stairs, yet he found himself in the master bedroom minutes later. He took a hot shower, got into bed wearing his boxers, and was sound asleep before Jess came to bed.

"No, stop." Dean batted his hand in the air. "Jess, knock it off."

"What? I didn't do anything, baby." Jess sat up, turned on the lamp, and laughed.

Dean opened an eye and saw a face, then felt the wet tongue on his cheek. "Get away." He gently pushed the pup. "Why is she in bed with us? She should be in a crate until she's potty trained," Dean murmured and turned away from both girls.

"She cries when I put her in it."

"She's going to wet the bed," he said, feeling his ear being licked. He brought the blankets over his head and made a small breathing hole for his mouth.

"Let's get naked since you're awake. I'll put Tinkerbell in the hall and close the door." Her hand reached out under the blankets and grasped his ass.

"I'm not in the mood," he stated firmly as well as with sympathy, knowing he'd never make love to her again because he wasn't in love with her. "I have another busy day tomorrow; negotiations and shit that I wish I didn't have to deal with, and it's going to continue until it's written in ink, or blood."

Jess's voice lifted, "Sex will help you relax."

"So will sleep. Goodnight." Dean felt he'd been short with her and added, "honey" at the end of his sentence. He heard and felt shifting on the bed. Jess pressed herself to his body and held him. Dean closed his eyes and imagined Jared spooning him instead. Someday soon, he told himself. Real soon.
﴿﴾ ﴿﴾ ﴿﴾
Dean went to work with a whistle on his lips and a smile in his voice. Tate Holloway would take over and talk to Clayton's lawyer, but Dean himself would call Troy and Nevin and give them the news. There really wasn't any wiggle room for Clayton to call a play, so he felt confident to tell his other brothers of his decision.

Making concise rounds of the hotel, he greeted everyone pleasantly, solved a few short-staffed problems and a guest complaint by moving them to a better suite. Dean then called his brothers from his office and received hurrahs and congratulations. Troy and Nevin happily agreed that allocating shares was an excellent idea as well as Dean keeping shares for himself even if he wasn't directly in the hotel business anymore.

Troy claimed he had a manager that had been training for a better position and he thought the woman would be ideal to take Dean's place. She was willing to relocate at the hotel's expense. Dean thought it a terrific idea. Clayton should have no problem since it was Troy's employee and not a person Dean chose—whom Clayton could complain about.

Next, Dean called his lawyer, Tate, to have the legal assistant draw up divorce papers. The hotel was in the Bennington name and Jess signed a prenuptial agreement stating she was prohibited from getting half when and if the hotel sold—his father's idea to keep it in the family. Likewise, Dean couldn't sell the hotel to anyone but a Bennington. Finally, things were looking up. Dean washed up in his executive bathroom, took off his tie, and undid the top button of his dress shirt to look his sexiest for Jared.

He rode the elevator down and took his time strolling through the hotel on the way to Riviera. It was after three. The lull after lunch and before dinner would be in full effect and Alex could let Jared take a long break. The kitchen was a hubbub of chefs cleaning and working on stray orders. Dean saw Jared ordering people around, as a head chef does.

"Hey." Dean laid a hand on Jared's shoulder, grabbing his attention. "Do you have time to take a break?"

"Yes. Let me tell Alex and I'll meet you in the break room."

"How about we grab a drink at the bar instead?"

Jared glanced down at his chef's jacket. He'd only worn jeans and a black polo today; not very dressy for a patron of a nice bar at Bennington's Hotel. "Alright."

"I'll go talk to Alex, you put your jacket away." Dean patted Jared's shoulder and wanted to kiss his lips right there. Instead, he watched him leave. "Alex, I'm going to borrow Jared for about a half an hour. Can you survive without him?"

"Sure." Alex nodded. "Don't be too late; we have to prep for dinner."

"I'm ready." Jared said, sliding his hand into Dean's.

Alex had a weird feeling something bad was about to happen due to the look of trepidation on his head chef's face, but he ignored the warning sensation in his stomach.

Moonbeam had a similar décor as Moonlight, but it wasn't as romantic. It had a karaoke bar, live bands on weekends, and comedians on weeknights. People were sitting at tables with drinks and others sat at the bar catching up with friends.

"Let's go across the room and take a table next to the wall." Dean set out to meander through the tables and chairs. The wall in question was made of light grey stone, illuminated by sconces and the tabletops were round, made of thick glass with a blue light coming from beneath them, lighting up the area where they sat. Dean raised his hand, finger pointing upward, and summoned a waiter. He ordered white wine for Jared and himself. They made small talk until the waiter set their drinks in front of them.

"Is this your way of telling me you have good news?" Jared asked with a lopsided smile, his eyes bright with anticipation. He swirled his wine and took a sip.

"I do have news, but I can't tell you until it's wrapped up." Dean smiled and clinked his glass against Jared's. "It's great news, though."

Jared set his glass on the table, the lighting cast a blue hue on their faces and drinks. "You can tell me, Dean." He put his hand over his lover's hand and squeezed, waiting to hear the words, 'I left her for you'.

"In time."

Jared paled and pulled his hand away from Dean's. He glanced down, seeing their feet through the tabletop, feeling no urge to flirt by rubbing Dean's calf with his shoe. The hairs on Jared's arms prickled. He drank the glass of wine, no longer willing to sit here with Dean. He needed answers now. Dean had plenty of time to tell his wife, so why hadn't he yet? Second thoughts?

"You didn't tell her," he stated rather than asked, and couldn't meet Dean's eyes no matter how hard he tried to lift his gaze.

"Jared-"

Jared abruptly cut him off, "It's okay. This all seemed like a dream anyway." He stood up and was about to step away when Dean shot out of his seat and cupped Jared's face.

"I love you, don't go. I'll tell her."

Jared swallowed. Dean had so many chances to tell her already and he hadn't. Either something was stopping him or Dean wanted his wife and a lover on the side. Jared was too proud to be second in anything—including a relationship. "Don't worry about it. I have to leave and get back to work." He stepped backward.

"Wait, I'm talking to you." Dean leaned forward and held onto Jared's arms, pulling him flush against his body.

"Don't. Don't do this, Dean. It'll be harder on us both."

"Do what? Take a seat and talk to me." At Jared's headshake, Dean asked, "What did you mean this felt like a dream?"

"You, me, us. I fooled myself into thinking what we had was real."

"It is real."

Dean had spoken, but Jared hadn't heard him and blurted, "I didn't mean to put so much pressure on you. I know you're scared and it wasn't right for me to badger you to leave your wife."

"You can pester me all you want and what pressure are you putting on me?"

"To come out."

"I've told my brothers."

"Oh?" Jared's chin rose. "How did that go?"

"I'll tell you another time." 'When I find a tactful way to tell you that Clayton seems to hate my guts and it's not your fault.'

Jared's shoulders slumped forward and he released a sigh. He'd pushed too hard and this is what he got in return—Dean being pulled in opposite directions—by the love of his wife and Jared's love.

"Talk to me, Jared."

Jared pressed his lips together, then let them become supple again as he thought of what to say. "I think we need to step back and think about this carefully. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but this is what I'm thinking. You love your wife and the life you have with her-" A strong hand covered his mouth.

"Stop right there, buddy." Dean's vision narrowed in on Jared's eyes. "I love you and I want to have a life with you. Understand? I will tell her, please promise me that you believe me."

Jared nodded with tears in his eyes, unable to speak with the placement of the hand over his mouth, so he drew Dean's hand down and spoke a single word, "Yes," and hugged him, taking his fill of Dean's scent. "I'm sorry I'm impatient, I just want to be with you."

"I want that more than anything." Dean kissed his cheek. They took their seats and ordered another glass of wine.
﴿﴾ ﴿﴾ ﴿﴾
Dean knew what he had to do. After accompanying Jared back to the kitchen and giving him a kiss goodbye, he left early and went home to deliver the news to his wife. The warmth of Jared's lips had given him strength to face Jess and bare his soul.

Dean's forehead crinkled in confusion at seeing a brand new SUV in the driveway. He peeked inside as he walked past, seeing nothing of significance, and entered his home. Thanks to Tinkerbell, greeting him was a small pile of shit in the entryway. He cleaned it up, noticing the silence in the house and figured Jess's friend had come over, parked her SUV, then they took Jess's sports car to the fitness center to work out.

A hot shower to relax his muscles and clear his brain was what he needed. He walked up the stairs with his fingers undoing his tie and then worked downward on his shirt until he came to one pearly button already undone near his navel. He chuckled. Jared must have unfastened it while they were kissing in the break room.

He frowned at the closed master bedroom door. Was Jess napping? Had she shut the door to keep the pup from bothering her? No, that didn't explain the unfamiliar car. He groaned inwardly thinking she bought a new vehicle. Dean turned the handle quietly and slowly, straining to hear if she was awake or sleeping. She was lying in bed, not sleeping, but she wasn't alone and they hadn't noticed his presence yet.

He walked in, eyes wide and lips parted to make way for a gasp. It had been enough of a sound to make the couple in bed turn to him.

"Dean! What are you doing home?" Jess pushed Tom off and sat up. Tom didn't display embarrassment or shame. He looked content with a stupid smirk on his face.

"I live here, why shouldn't I be in my own home?" Dean's eyes darted around, seeing discarded clothing. Obviously, they couldn't wait to get undressed; their clothes were scattered about the room. "Tom," he acknowledged with a fierce nod. "I want you out of my house now."

Tom took his time dressing and mentioned with a smug tone, "You had an affair. She has a right to have one too."

Anger crept into Dean's voice, "Go, before I lay you out on the floor with my fists!" There was nothing worse than betrayal from a friend, even if Dean didn't like the guy.

Tom walked out of the bedroom with his head held high. Dean buttoned his shirt back up. After he heard the front door close, he turned to his wife who sat naked on the bed. "For fuck's sake, don't you have any decency? Get dressed." He rubbed his temples as she slipped on a silk robe.

She voiced in quiet tones, "I don't love him. You were gone so much and I needed someone to appreciate me, give me attention, to touch me. You wouldn't take a day off-"

"Do you want to tell me how long this has been going on?" Dean dropped his arms to his side and put his hands in his pants pocket. His cold and distant eyes fell upon her.

"A while," she said, meek and ashamed. She brought her hand to her throat and stroked it. "Before I let you have a free weekend. I thought it fair for you to have one since I've been with Tom."

The muscles on the back of Dean's neck tightened. "Oh, so I get three free days and you get what ... months? How is that fair? Never mind. I don't care."

"Baby, I gave you the free weekend-"

"Just so you wouldn't feel guilty about having an affair, I know. My marriage free weekend was really for you so you could justify fooling around. I'm not an idiot."

"I didn't say you were." She walked to him, a tentative hand reached for him. "Yes, I'll admit that giving you a free weekend helped me. It allowed me not to feel so bad about cheating on you." Dean spun away from her, but she continued, "I still love you, Deanie." She kneaded his shoulders from behind.

"I hate that name. All these years I've hated it. I grind my teeth when you call me that. I couldn't say anything until now. And, quit touching me!" He flinched and turned, seeing her robe hanging open, exposing her nude body. "Christ, cover up. I can't even look at you anymore."

"What? What do you mean?" She tried to swallow as she closed her robe and clutched it tight, feeling dirty due to the look of disgust on her husband's face.

"One, you smell like that pig, Tom. Second, I fell in love with the person I spent the weekend with, maybe it happened before that. Regardless, I'm leaving you."

Jess tossed her long blonde hair over one shoulder, puckered her brow and curled her lip. "You were supposed to have sex with her, not fall in love." Her tone was controlled, but her hands shook and waves of nausea surged in her flat stomach.

"Three days of living single was exactly what I needed to realize what I want. Something wasn't absent as I'd thought, but a someone. Thank you, and I mean that sincerely. I don't regret marrying you, but it's over."

Words slipped from her mouth, "I regret putting you in the position to go out on me and that I was seeing Tom behind your back, but we can work this out between ourselves. Surely, you can't be in love with her! It's infatuation."

"It's definitely love. I found passion and meaning in my life and I want to grow old with this person. I couldn't live without them in my life. It's not conceivable to me."

"This person? Who, Dean? Is it one of my friends? Did you fuck my friend?" She waved a hand in the air, unable to relax.

"Although you did that to me, I wouldn't do that to you. I had the chance to be single. To do what I wanted without thought and consequences. Your words, Jess." Dean's chest tightened. "I was with a man."

Jess glared at him and scrunched up her face. Dean shrugged and Jess laughed as she came toward him. Refusing to see the truth in Dean's eyes, she told him, "You got me good."

"I know it sounds ridiculous and I wouldn't have believed it myself, but I'm completely serious. Jared and I spent the weekend at the hotel and it was everything I'd hoped it would be. I enjoyed ever second I spent with him." He could go on and on about it, but it might hurt Jess.

Jess backed up, tripped over her feet, and plopped on the bed. Staring at Dean, she spoke through her teeth with forced restraint. "I don't understand. You can't be in love with him. He's a guy!"

Dean didn't like the feeling of being cornered, but with a steady voice, he replied, "I'm bisexual."

Jess jerked her head in shock. Dean noticed she appeared worn and much older as a result of the circumstances. He felt bad for her, yet happy that he rid himself of the burden of hiding his true self.

Her lip trembled as she shook her head in denial. "You're making it up because you caught me and Tom together. You're angry and want to get back at me. You're not gay. You can't be."

Dean knelt in front of her and took her hands. "I am." His kind tone didn't work on Jess. She pushed him backwards and he fell on his ass. Her reaction was normal and so was her crying and hyperventilating. He gave her a weak smile—a poor attempt to comfort her.

"I want you out of this house. And, I'll be taking you to court to get as much out of you as I can. The judge will be in my favor since you lied to me all these years of marriage. He wouldn't let a queer off the hook."

"I've already contacted my lawyer. I'm leaving you the house and a hefty check. I don't need anything but my clothes and some possessions." Dean took advantage of Jess's state of shock and surprise by choosing an overnight suitcase and quickly packed enough clothing for a few days. "I'll call and set up a time for me to get the rest of my things." He zipped the case and gazed at Jess to see if she was okay. She grabbed onto him and refused to let go.

"I don't believe you." She shook him and exhaled impatiently. "How can you be a fag and sleep with me? How dare you do that to me!"

He didn't respond to her physical attack. If it made her feel better, than he'd rather she yell and slap him. "I'm sorry," he whispered and tried to caress her cheek. She smacked it away, then pushed him again. This time, he remained balanced and picked up the suitcase from the bed. She followed him all the way to the front door, screaming and calling him derogatory names.

Dean didn't know where to go, so he drove around and ate dinner at a little café Jess wouldn't allow him to be seen in because the eatery was below her standards. The food was excellent. Next, he drove to a bar. He didn't want to be seen at the hotel where he'd be stopped by staff and asked questions and thus, have to work.

The dingy bar smelled of grease from the kitchen and of booze spilled on the sticky floorboards beneath his feet. He ordered a beer at the bar and planted himself on the stool, watching the game on the overhead TV. He tuned out after a while, returning to what he'd seen when he arrived home. Tom and Jess. Who would have thought? Dean guessed Tom fucked all the wives in the circle of friends and that Melinda, his wife, was clueless.

'That free pass worked out really well for you, didn't it, Melinda?' It hadn't worked for Jess either. What a dumb concept, but shit, if he hadn't been permitted one, he would've missed out on Jared. He would have overlooked the handsome head chef.

Dean slapped his hand over the top of his head as his gaze fell to the clock. After eleven! He could stay at the hotel, but he had a better, more fun place in mind. After paying his tab and leaving a tip, Dean drove off.

He stood at the apartment door and listened, hearing the late show playing on the TV and laughter from the resident inside. Dean knocked and stood straight up with shoulders back and a confident look upon his face.

"Coming!" The door opened. Jared smiled in response to Dean's grin, then Jared's eyes drifted downward and he saw the overnight case. "Dean? What's going on?"

"May I come in?" Dean leaned in and kissed Jared.

"Sure." Jared closed the door after Dean set his overnight on the floor. "What's up?" he asked, staring at the case.

"Jess kicked me out." He gauged Jared's expression, alarm and delight traversing each other.

"You told her about us? You really did?" Excitement in the form of high-pitched vocals accompanied raised brows and wide eyes.

"Yes. Everything. I told her I'm in love with you." Dean circled Jared's waist.

"Aside from kicking you out, what else happened?" Jared fake smiled, a haunted look in his eyes where there should be happiness. "I mean, are you here because you have nowhere to go?"

Dean lifted Jared's chin with a finger. "Of course not. I want to be here. Don't feel like I came here because I had to. And, you have nothing to be ashamed of regarding Jess and me breaking up." He pecked Jared's lips and continued, "Guess what? I found her in our bed with another man."

"That bitch! How could she cheat on you like that and expect you-"

Dean smothered Jared's words with a kiss and didn't let up until he felt Jared's body relax, then there was the fact they needed a breath.

Jared asked, lids heavy from the kiss, "I suppose you want to live here?" Then he snickered at Dean's astonished expression.

"Was there any question that I wouldn't?"

"Not anymore." Jared grinned and pulled Dean to the couch.

Sitting side by side, Dean said, "By the way, I have to tell you something else."

"Uh-oh."

Dean rested his arm over the back of Jared's shoulder and told him about the hotel, about Clayton and his other brothers.

"Shit. If I had known." Jared sighed and shook his head.

"I didn't tell you this to make you feel responsible. I told you because I want to start my life over with you in it."

"You love that hotel. What are you going to do now that you can't work there?"

"I'm going to pack up and move where it's warm all year long and take my lover with me." Dean squeezed Jared's shoulder. "Will you come with me?"

Jared savored the moment, hearing the words echoing in his head. He casually set his hand on Dean's thigh, warmth spreading throughout his body, and gave Dean a quick nod with the words, "Hell yes." He swung his leg over Dean's lap and straddled him. His fingers ran through Dean's hair as he kissed his lover's mouth; eventually taking him to the bedroom

﴿﴾ ﴿﴾ ﴿﴾
SIX MONTHS LATER

"They're here!" Beth called to Nevin, her fiancé, from the front window where she was looking out to the street. He was at the patio in the backyard of their home, grilling food. He'd kept the patio door open so he could hear their guests arrival. Nevin closed the grill lid and walked through the house.

Troy and his current girlfriend, Lacy, walked from the kitchen where they were preparing lunch and stopped at the front door. The four of them stood there waiting to open the door as soon as the doorbell chimed.

"I'm answering the door." Troy asserted, stepping forward.

"It's my home. I'll answer it." Nevin fought back, elbowing Troy for the closest position.

Beth spoke loud and in charge, "I will get the door, you two baboons stand back." She laughed, prompting Lacy to giggle too.

The four of them heard knocking instead of the anticipated chime. Beth greeted Dean and Jared's smiling faces, seeing both men were holding dishes of food. "You didn't have to bring anything, boys."

Jared answered as innocently as he could, "I heard about Nevin's cooking from Dean and felt I had to make something edible for the rest of us eat."

"Hey now!" Nevin laughed.

"Go watch your burgers before they burn and he proves you right." Beth nudged Nevin.

"Wait." Dean said, walking with everyone to the kitchen. He and Jared set the dishes of food Jared made on the table. "This is Jared. Jared, you remember Troy and Nevin?"

"High school—good times." Nevin said and grinned as he patted Jared's shoulder in greeting. Troy nodded, affirming his little brother's statement, smiled and shook Jared's hand.

Dean turned Jared away from the guys. "Beth is Nevin's fiancée and that's Lacy, Troy's girlfriend."

"Nice to meet you all. Thank you for inviting me to your home. Smells good in here." The scent of cinnamon and apples filled the air.

"Pleasure." Beth, a slight woman with long dark hair, took him in her arms and gave him a big bear hug.

Jared's grin took up half his face as he glanced at Dean. Then Lacy did the same, hugging him and telling him that she was pleased to meet him. She was almost as tall as he was and had a curvy figure and short dark red hair.

"Show's over girls," Troy mocked, faking a jealous tone. "Who wants a drink?" After multiple 'I do's', he made sangrias for everyone.

Jared's butterflies settled down now that everyone gave him a warm welcome. "I told you my brothers would be cool," Dean whispered. He took Jared's hand and led him outside. Together they walked around the backyard, eyeing Nevin's green thumb: rich red roses, deep purple and bright yellow flowers and blue hydrangeas.

Jared glanced at Nevin who was at the grill holding tongs, snapping them as if he had a lobster claw for a hand. He held Dean's hand tighter. "I get nervous when I meet people."

"No need to be. You're going to fit right in with my family."

"And you with mine. My mother already loves you for moving me to Florida."

Dean let out a deep laugh. "I always liked your mother."

"What are you guys talking about?" Nevin saw they'd stopped, staring at his rose bushes, and walked to them. "Sex in the roses would hurt. All those thorns pricking in places that are sensitive."

"We weren't talking about sex," Jared stammered, turning away from Nevin's amused smile.

"Oh yes we were." Dean tossed his head back and laughed, then he put his hand on Jared's shoulder and spoke to his brother, "Whips and chains, bro."

"That's tame. You should see what Beth and I are into." Nevin dished it right back and chuckled.

Jared held a hand up to ward off more sex jokes. He had a desire to run away and leave these two jesters to themselves. He knew they were doing it to embarrass him.

Nevin patted Jared's back. "I really came over to tell you lunch is ready."

"'Kay," Jared whispered, finding it hard to speak.

Dean kissed Jared's cheek and apologized. "Ready to eat?"

"As long as there's no more sex talk." Jared tried to keep a straight face, failing when Dean winked at him with a look of mischief in his gaze.

The three brothers and their significant others sat under an umbrella at a table outside. Troy had refilled their glasses and made a toast to love, health and happiness.

Jared continued to hold his glass up and said, "To Clayton and his wife." He felt vulnerable when everyone looked at him, but they smiled and touched the rims of their glasses with his.

"That's kind of you, Jared." Troy acknowledged, glancing at Dean, then Nevin. "I couldn't forgive him so easily after what happened."

"Jared's a very forgiving man, Troy," Nevin spoke up. He directed his gaze to Dean and added, "He's not letting it get to him like some people we know."

Dean held up a hand. "I've talked to Clayton since then. I don't forgive him, but I can tolerate him. I'm going to make him work for my friendship after he turned his back on me."

"He apologized. That's enough for me," Jared commented, his hand on Dean's knee.

Dean rolled his eyes. "It's easier for you. He's not your brother."

"It's not easier. He hurt you and that hurts me. I care about you and your feelings, but I made the decision to move on and not let his ignorance bother me."

"Good for you. I guess you're better than me," Dean snapped, not meaning to, but talk about his eldest brother riled him up.

Beth interrupted to distract Dean and Jared. "Jared, what's in this salad you made? It's wonderful."

"Oh, it's a recipe I made up. I can't tell you my secret because I want to sell it in delis and grocery stores."

"It is tasty." Lacy hummed her approval as she ate.

"Thank you. Nevin, the burgers are delicious and moist." Jared smiled and glanced at Dean, whose face was over his plate and his fork shoveling food into his mouth.

"They're my specialty. Ground sirloin." Nevin added more ketchup on the meat patty and capped it off with the top of the bun. The condiment oozed out from the sides, getting a sarcastic smirk from Beth.

"Dean, if I had known Jared was so handsome and such a good cook, I might have asked him to marry me." Beth teased, seeing her fiancé's eyes bug out.

Dean looked up and let out a chuckle. "He's not available."

Jared raised his voice, "Oh I am, but only on weekends, right Dean?" He bumped shoulders with him.

Dean laughed and stated, "I monopolize your weekends, babe." Then whispered in Jared's ear, "I'm sorry I was rude before when you brought up Clayton."

"It's okay. I still love you." Jared rubbed his nose against his partner's ear.

"You two are just too damn cute together." Beth smiled at the warmth of love they exuded.

"I'm sure they'd let you watch," Troy choked out through laughter. Lacy grabbed onto his arm and giggled.

"You really just went there?" Dean stared at his brother.

Jared sipped his sangria to avoid falling apart with laughter. Nevin and Beth were unable to concentrate on anything else but Troy's hilarious snorts.

The start of a lawnmower next door drowned out their voices so they moved inside to eat at the dining room table. Beth cut and served dessert, a freshly baked apple crisp. The scent had Jared's mouthwatering.

"Beth, I may give you that recipe you wanted if I can get this recipe." Jared smiled warmly with a heaping serving of dessert on his fork.

"Definitely!" Beth perked up.

No one spoke after that. Scrapes of forks on plates to clean every bit of dessert with rapt attention was more important than conversation.

Dean and his brothers went outside to speak in the driveway. The others chose to clean up. Beth handed Jared a clean dish to dry while Lacy brought the dirty dishes to Beth to wash.

"Dean talks about you to Nevin constantly. You're very good to Dean. It's nice to see him so cheerful after the divorce. God, Jess wasn't always such a bitch."

"I think she has a right to be bitchy and bitter. I did take her husband away from her." Jared answered humbly.

"I don't know. I believe Dean would have left her eventually. He told Nevin that he felt his life was lacking something. I believe it was you."

"Totally," Lacy said. "Troy says Dean is head over heels. Says he hasn't seen his brother this happy in a long time."

Jared blushed and worked on polishing the plate in his hand.

"I think that's dry, honey." Beth giggled. "We don't mean to get you worked up."

"No, it's okay. I like hearing it. I didn't know he talked about me so much. Now I feel like Troy and Nevin probably don't get a word in edgewise when they talk to Dean."

"Speaking for Troy, he wouldn't let anyone dominate a conversation if he didn't want to listen to what the other person was saying."

"Same with Nevin," Beth agreed. "He'd change the subject. I think they're both genuinely interested in hearing about you."

"I wonder what they're talking about now." Jared thought aloud. "I hope not me."

"What if they were? Would that be so bad?" Lacy asked, setting glasses in the bubbly dishwater.

Jared quirked an eyebrow at the girls and smiled. "Depends on what they're saying."

Beth gave Lacy a sly smile, but she didn't say anything. Lacy grinned back and noticed Jared looking at them funny, so she turned and hurried out of the kitchen for more dishes.

"What is that about?" Jared nodded to where Lacy exited.

"Not sure," Beth said and cleared her throat.

Jared stared at the side of Beth's face, then shrugged. "How long do you give them?"

"Lacy and Troy?" Beth looked up in thought with her tongue poked out. "The longest Troy was in a relationship was for a year. That's when he got burned. Sandy, I think her name was, dumped him around the time he wanted to propose. Since then, it's been between two and four months with a woman, then he moves on."

"It's sad that he can't settle down with one person."

"Yeah, maybe he hasn't met the right girl yet."

"Or guy," Jared teased, laughing along with Beth.

"Oh, he's not gay." Lacy walked in hearing the last bits of gossip. She confirmed, "He likes women too much to want dick." She bumped her hip against Jared's. "He even wants me to like women. At least he asked me once if he could watch me have sex with a woman he'd been talking to on a website. I got as far as calling her to talk and see if we were compatible."

Beth gasped. "You're kidding!"

"Nope." Lacy shook her head. "I didn't like her at all. It was all so uncomfortable. I couldn't do it even if to please him. I like dick too much."

"Yeah, me too." Jared's eyes went huge after saying that aloud. Thinking quickly, he diverted attention from his blunder and quickly asked, "Does he still ask you to have sex with other women?"

"No, but I found out why he asked in the first place. Want to know?" She looked from Jared to Beth who both nodded. "The girl he wanted to marry dumped him for a girl."

"So..." Beth tallied her thoughts, but Jared got there first.

"It was a test of faithfulness?"

"Yes. A few of the girls he dated before me did go through with what he'd asked of them and he promptly broke up with them. They thought it's what he wanted, but he was testing them."

"That's a lousy thing to do to someone." Beth turned her mouth down and stuck her hands in the warm water, feeling for silverware at the bottom of the sink.

Lacy leaned in and spoke softly, drawing attention to her mouth, "I'll deny this if it gets out, but he is very insecure."

"So, does he trust you?" Jared asked.

"Somewhat. I guess I'll find out if I stand the test of time. I'm not going to worry about it or he'll sense something off about me. I'm being myself and having fun with him while it lasts."

"You girls done with the dishes yet?" Troy called from the garage door.

"Almost," Lacy answered. "You guys should come in and get a beer."

"Good idea." Troy entered the kitchen, pinched Lacy's bottom, and opened the fridge. He took three beers out and set them on the counter to snap off the caps.

Jared faced him, brows pressed together and eyes like pinpricks. "Did you include me when you asked if the girls were done?"

"Yeah?" Troy chuckled nervously.

"Then I'm Miss Slade to you." Jared grinned, teeth showing.

Troy burst out laughing with the girls giggling. "I like you, man. I liked you back in high school, but I don't remember you being so funny."

"Me? I'm always on my game."

"Stay on it. You're on fire." Troy threw the caps away and took the bottles outside.

Beth dried her hands on a dishtowel while saying, "Jared, there's one thing I want to ask you, but I don't want to make you uncomfortable or sound as if I'm prying, and you don't have to answer the question if you don't want to."

Jared nodded. He'd had enough experience to know what she was curious about. "It's okay. It really depends on our mood. We switch; sometimes he wants to top and sometimes I do."

"Um..." Beth reddened and Lacy gasped, then snickered.

"Shit." Jared gazed at Beth with the instinct to cover his mouth. "That's not what you were going to ask. Oh Jesus. I just assumed... ." He covered his eyes as he lowered his head, feeling like he'd exposed a hallowed secret he'd been sworn to keep.

Beth patted Jared's arm, teasing, "Not quite, but thanks for the info. I don't think I can unhear that. What I really wanted to know is," She glanced at Lacy then back at Jared and continued, "I wondered if you and Dean have talked about marriage."

"No," Jared's voice came out hoarse until he cleared it, but nothing would help with the embarrassment creeping deep into his flesh—derived from thinking Beth wanted to know about his and Dean's sex life. "No, we haven't. We're having too much fun being a couple to get serious just yet."

"That's sweet," Lacy said. "Just like me and Troy. Well, I think it's time us girls, have a drink."

"Beers all around," Jared said, bending and reaching into the refrigerator. He handed bottles to Lacy and Beth and took one for himself.
﴿﴾ ﴿﴾ ﴿﴾
"Are you pretty girls done with the dishes now?—and Miss Slade." Troy called out as he walked inside with the other brothers following. He caught sight of the women and Jared as they came out of the kitchen smiling. "There you are. Why don't you three go in the living room and have a seat?"

"Wait. Did I hear you refer to my man as a miss?" Dean clocked Troy on the back of his head.

"Hell, he told me to call him that." Troy rubbed his head.

"Only because he referred to me as a girl." Jared defended, winking at Dean.

"Jared's only a miss some of the time." Lacy told Troy and flashed a smirk at Jared.

"What the hell does that mean, Lacy?" Troy quizzed, tilting his head as if trying to decipher an alien language.

"Sometimes he bottoms and sometimes he tops." She giggled.

"Who told you that?" Dean asked too rapidly. He gave Jared a suspicious look and saw him raise his hand. Dean rolled his eyes upward. "Braggart," he joked and slid his arm through Jared's.

Minutes later, Troy paced the living room and nervously swallowed while the others seated themselves and spoke to each other.

Jared watched Troy, clued in on his nonverbal actions. He whispered, "Dean, I think he's going to break up with Lacy. He can't humiliate her in front of us! We have to do something." He began to rise.

"No." Dean held Jared's arm and eased him back onto the couch.

"I can't sit here and watch this." Jared liked Lacy and to see her upset and crying would break his heart.

"Trust me?"

"Always, baby."

"Then sit here and relax. Drink your beer." Dean held his out and tipped the neck to Jared's bottle.

"Okay," Troy said, a little loudly, but he was nervous. He stopped walking and stood before the group, eyes on Lacy.

"Oh fuck." Jared dropped his head so he didn't have to watch, wishing he could cover his ears so he couldn't hear.

"Lacy, I know we've been together a short while, but I don't think it's working out having you as my girlfriend."

"Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!" Jared murmured, his body tensing up. He squeezed his eyes closed and curled over even more so that his head was near his knees.

"Sit up." Dean whispered, watching Lacy's reaction. Her eyes were watery and she seemed on the verge of getting up and running away.

"No, you can't make me," Jared mumbled.

"Fine." Dean shook his head at his sensitive boyfriend. He rubbed Jared's back in circles.

"I can't believe this," Lacy exclaimed and looked around to see if anyone was laughing at her because Troy was breaking up with her. She saw Jared rocking back and forth with his head down and Beth gazing at her with sympathy. "I'm going to leave." She stood up, but Troy was there in a millisecond and took her hands.

"Let me finish. It's not working out because I don't want you as my girlfriend ...," he paused, then smiled. "I want you as my wife."

Lacy's legs buckled and she cried out, throwing herself at Troy. He held her and spoke in her ear.

Jared's head shot up. Relief fell upon his face and he saw the happy couple. Tears rimmed his eyes. He said to Dean, "If you ever propose to me like that, I'm gonna slap you silly."

Dean chuckled. "We haven't even talked about it, yet. Maybe it's time?"

"You're serious, aren't you?" Jared asked, looking into brown eyes and seeing no sign of playfulness.

"I'm dead serious about getting married."

"I'd marry you in a heartbeat, Dean."

Dean's right brow rose. "D-Did we just agree to get married? Are we engaged?"

"I think ... I think so?" Jared's whispering was rushed, "You hinted at it and I said yes, basically. Holy shit, we're engaged." He lunged at Dean and hugged him.

"Shhh. This is Troy and Lacy's big day. We'll keep this to ourselves for a while. It'll be our secret."

Jared nodded on Dean's neck. "I love you, Dean. I'm so happy."

"I love you too," Dean hugged Jared tighter. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Luckily, you'll never have to find out."

TH E ND