Unleashed

Unleashed 8

"That's it," Jared said after he gave Dean the tour of his modest apartment.

Dean's gaze flitted around the living room. He replied sincerely, "I like it. It's homey. I can see exactly who you are by the way you decorate. Jess decorated our house using some woman her friend suggested."

"I could tell. It's really sterile looking."

"Heh, you're right. It's cold and impersonal. Probably one reason I don't like being there."

"And the other reasons?"

"The home is nice and it's huge but, I don't know. It's not me. I'd prefer a place where I'm comfortable."

"That's too bad," Jared expressed apologetically and gazed at Dean's forlorn expression. Taking action, he added, "Have a seat and I'll get us something to drink. What are you thirsty for?"

"Anything." Dean settled himself on the plum colored, suede recliner across from the dove grey colored couch when Jared disappeared into the kitchen.

"I have Mike's Hard Lemonade," he said coming back into the room with two tall cans. He handed Dean one and flopped on the couch with his legs open and his butt towards the edge.

"I love this stuff." Dean snapped open the can and guzzled half of it. "I could drink this all day."

"Me too, and I have." Jared laughed. He became serious and furrowed his brow while he held his can with two hands. "There's something I want to say ... I'm sorry I've upset your wife."

"Don't." Dean shook his head. "You weren't at fault and you had nothing to do with her mood." He took another slug of the alcohol beverage, rattled the empty can and asked, "More?"

Jared chucked on the way to the kitchen, returning with another can.

"Anyway," Dean continued, "There's something missing, oh, I told you that already."

Jared nodded, sipping his drink.

"She puts out. Let me word that differently. She likes to fuck, but it's strictly vanilla—which I don't mind. I get off, she does too, but I'd like some adventure."

Jared wiggled back and crossed his legs. "Have you talked to her about it?"

"Yes, in a roundabout way. I know what she likes. Tame sex. No dirty talk, well, sometimes, but sex is robotic for me. I guess I'm bored. There's no nicer way to put it." Dean glanced at Jared. When their eyes met, astonishment flashed across Dean's face. "Why am I talking to you about this? You don't give a rat's ass about our sex life. Man, I'm pitiful."

"I don't mind. If I can help, I'll certainly try. What are friends for?" Jared's fantasy dream drifted off, easily forgotten by talk of Dean having sex with his wife. "What have you tried with her?"

"Nothing. I can't bring myself to do anything different and risk her getting mad at me. She thinks people who experiment are weirdos and perverts. Before I married her, she was sweet and kind. Exactly the type of person I wanted to marry. One who didn't care about money or houses and rich friends. Her personality changed real quick once I inherited the hotel."

Inadvertently, Jared blundered, "I'm guessing her looks have too. Oops!" He covered his mouth and apologetically met Dean's eyes. "I'm sorry," he muttered behind his hand.

Dean gave a look as if he'd swallowed a spider, then laughed. "You're right! I love my wife, but I could have bought myself an Aston Martin with all the shit she's done to herself. She's worth more than my car. Shit, I'm horrible for saying that."

"Dean, what you say here doesn't leave these walls. I promise."

"Still..." Dean now spoke quietly as though Jess could hear him. "What about you? Have you been with a woman?"

Jared pretended not to be offended, but his words came out sharp. "Uh, no. I'm gay."

"Not even to experiment to see if you'd like it?" Dean studied Jared; alert eyes on his friend's face.

"Having sex with a woman isn't going to turn me straight. It wouldn't turn any gay man straight," he replied with a bite to his words. Was Dean still anti-gay?

"How many boyfriends have you had?"

"What is this? Why do you want to know?" Jared asked with a nervous chuckle.

"Curiosity."

"I've had my share of them."

"Okay, how about the last one? What happened?"

"We broke up."

"Duh! Why?"

"I traveled a lot. He didn't. We grew apart and he wanted someone who'd be there for him. Breaking up was the best thing we could have done."

"That's so sad." Dean looked at Jared with pity.

"It's not sad. I'm relieved. I felt guilty each time I got on a plane and he'd stand there with his arms around his waist, giving himself a hug with tears streaming down his face. That was sad. But I did get the experiences of a lifetime to train in famous restaurants all over the world."

"My dad urged me to marry Jess. I just went along with it. I fell in love with her after we spent time together," Dean murmured, gazing at the rug. "I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't married her."

"I'm sure you'd have found someone else."

"Maybe." Dean glanced up, his frown gone and in its place, a smile. "Maybe I'd be a bachelor like you. I think I'd rather like hook ups and one night stands."

"You wouldn't. It gets lonely, that's why I don't do it anymore."

"Ah ha!" Dean shook a finger at Jared. "There have been many men in your bed. I knew it."

"A few. I've stopped dating for now."

"Wait, I thought you were going to ask Alex out?"

Shit! The lie he'd told was uncovered. "I meant, aside from him."

"Sure you did." Dean observed Jared's frightened rabbit eyes. "I don't care who you date."

Jared sighed and looked away. If only Dean did care. If only Dean were gay, or bisexual. Hell, if only he was bi-curious.

"You okay?" Dean asked, setting another empty can on the coffee table.

"Yes. Want another?"

"No, I've got a good buzz going. I can't drive if I have another drink."

"You could always stay here."

Dean laughed, which hurt Jared, then said loudly, "No way."

Jared internalized the sorrow that overcame him. Dean hadn't changed. He was homophobic.

"Could you hear the argument Jess would have with me? 'Dean Bennington! You didn't come home last night. Were you guys with women? Is that what you and Jared do together? Pick up women?'" He shook his head with a chuckle. "I don't want to be under that scrutiny when I get home. It's bad enough I didn't go play poker with her friends' husbands. I don't fit in with them. I really can't stand people who think and act like they're better than everyone else."

Relieved, Jared blinked back his tears and gave a shaky smile. "The offer's open. On to a different topic—how are your brothers?"

"Great. Clayton's on his third wife."

"Whoa. I didn't know him well, but he seemed like an alright guy."

"He is. I'm an uncle to his twin boys. Troy is a player. He's with a different woman each time I talk to him."

Jared laughed. "But is he happy?"

"More than happy. He's doing great."

"And Nevin? He was my favorite."

"I thought I was your favorite?" Dean pouted, but laughed. "We were best friends."

"Yeah, but Nevin was sort of a loner. He'd open up to me once in a while."

"He hung around us a lot."

"He didn't have many friends."

"He has friends now and a girlfriend. He says he's in love. I expect him to get married next year about this time. Maybe kids after that."

"If Jess doesn't want kids because of what it'll do to her body, why don't you adopt?"

"Oh God." Dean slapped his forehead. "She's never home and neither am I. She shops and eats out and visits with her friends to catch up on all the latest gossip. I work all the time. We don't have a moment to spare to raise a child."

Jared nodded and began talking about their Science teacher in high school, then Dean brought up the pranks they pulled in the lab. They talked past midnight, that's when Dean noticed the time on the clock hanging above the TV and stood up.

"Shit, I have to get home. Jess is going to lose it."

Jared walked with him to the door and opened it. Before Dean passed him, he gave Jared a hug, and not just any hug. A tight, all-encompassing hug. "Take care, Jared. Good luck asking Alex out," he choked on the last words for some reason.

"Bye." Jared replied, too stunned from the warmth of Dean's body against him to say anything else. Once Dean had gone, Jared's dream came back in full force and his cock woke at the images he saw in his mind. He rushed to the bedroom and undressed to take care of it; whispering Dean's name and recalling the feel of strong arms around him, bodies pressed incredibly close together.