Status: Completed. Go to the sequel.

Good Girl

XV

With the help of her realtor mother, Mallory was able to find an affordable townhouse to rent on the other side of Huntington. Mallory hated having to explain the situation to her parents as to why she and Matt were broken up. She didn’t disclose the full details, only telling them that they were taking a break due to their own personal issues.

Caroline Hill was on the fence about her daughter’s calling off the engagement. She didn’t like Matt at first, but she quickly got used to Matt being around. She’d accepted him into the family as her son-in-law a long time ago. Although, Mallory’s mother always that she would marry a much more polished man. Richard Hill felt the same way about his daughter’s fiancé as his wife did. They weren’t ecstatic that they’d broken up, but they weren’t too upset either.

The townhouse apartment was nice. Caroline would never put her daughter in some rundown apartment. Mallory’s parents had paid the security deposit and the first month’s rent, not knowing how long Mallory would actually be there. The apartment was just what she needed- big enough for herself only and simple. Mallory hadn’t brought much to her new place except for her personal belongings and a few pieces of furniture. If Matt thought she was going to return everything he’d bought for her, he was mistaken.

Mallory hadn’t seen Matt’s face in exactly one week, and she was glad. He was out of her life, just as she wanted. She’d even deleted his number from her phone. It was actually over. She broke down when she was alone sometimes, but nothing could ever get her to go back to him.

Mallory sung along to a Kelly Clarkson song as she unpacked a suitcase full of clothes. She thought it was ironic that the song fit her life at the right time. Two months ago, she probably couldn’t imagine life without Matt. Now, she was doing her own thing on her own. He hurt her, but life wasn’t over because of it. All she needed was some new trustworthy friends and she’d be just fine. She promised herself that she wouldn’t be dating for a long time.

A knock on the door interrupted Mallory. Mallory pressed pause on her iPhone dock, carefully walking over to the door. No one knew her new address except for one person.

“Why are you here?” Mallory snapped, swinging the door open.

Erin stood on her doorstep, playing with the ends of her dark brown hair nervously. “You don’t answer my texts or calls, so I just had to come here.” Erin stepped inside without an invitation.

“I don’t know if you guys have gotten my memo but I’m done,” Mallory emphasized her words, shutting the door, “with all of them, including you. I gave you my address for emergencies only, not so you can hang out.”

“You never even let me explain, Mallory,” Erin said. “Even if we’re not friends anymore, you deserve to know how we all knew and why I didn’t tell you.”

“I don’t want to know how you all found out,” Mallory said calmly. “There’s no excuse for why you wouldn’t tell me that my fiancé was cheating on me besides being just as bad as him and Tess.”

“Do not compare me to them,” Erin pointed her finger at Mallory. “I’m a shitty friend in your eyes, I know. But would you have honestly believed me if I told you that Matt was cheating with Tess, of all people?”

Mallory opened her mouth, ready to respond. She closed her mouth and bit the inside of her cheek. She knew that she wouldn’t have. Matt was the love of her life and Tess was her best friend. Mallory thought she would never have to worry. Cheating never crossed her mind.

“That’s what I thought,” Erin said. “I hinted to you, Mal. I tried, and your response was the same every single fucking time. That’s why I didn’t care if Tess came around or not. You would believe Matt before you believed me, and he was feeding you right out of the palm of his hand. There was nothing I could have possibly done to get you to understand unless you had proof for your own eyes to see. Just be glad you got the truth and now it’s over.”

“I’ve been humiliated and laughed at, Erin!” Mallory exploded at her ex-friend. She didn’t understand how the people she called her friends thought this was all okay. “I’d rather you tell me than keep me in the dark!”

“You would have stayed in the dark anyway!” Erin shot right back with a scowl. “Matt would have told you anything or done anything to not get caught. I was just stuck in the fucking middle, and I’m glad you found out for yourself!”

“Even when I definitely knew he was cheating before I knew it was Tess, you still didn’t say a damn thing,” Mallory said, her expression was disgusted. “I might not mind if you come around, but just know that there are no ‘best friends’. I will never trust you again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is sort of short. I made the story page for the sequel, but I'm not linking it until the end! Muahahaha don't wanna give away anything until this story ends!

5 more chapters left. :)

Thank you to all who commented, rec'd and subscribed!