Status: Completed. Go to the sequel.

Good Girl

IX

It was yet another Saturday at the mall. Mallory and Erin had taken the Beverly Center in Los Angeles by storm, going into almost every store. Erin had insisted on buying a new dress for a special “date” with Brian. Tess was supposed to be there too, but she flaked, just like she had been doing for the past three weeks.

Mallory hadn’t really hung out with Tess since they’d last seen her at her job. Mallory had found out that Tess didn’t get fired, but that’s all the information Tess offered when Mallory asked. She wouldn’t explain why she was suddenly in tears when they’d seen her just fine minutes before. Mallory didn’t press the issue with the insistence of Erin, leaving Tess to figure things out on her own.

Erin had assured Mallory that Tess would get over whatever was bothering her eventually. It still bothered Mallory that Erin seemed happier without Tess around. Mallory wondered when Erin and Tess had suddenly become “frenemies” and why. Mallory still invited Tess to their outings so Tess wouldn’t feel left out, because that’s the type of person Mallory was. Every single invite was turned down by Tess, or she said she would come and she didn’t. Neither Mallory nor Erin really expected her to show up anymore.

“Your total is $451. 83,” The Bloomingdale’s cashier told Mallory after she rang up her things.

Mallory dug through her purse for her wallet. The bright pink Coach wallet was easy to spot at the bottom of her bag. She flipped the leather flap open and thumbed through her bank cards, looking for the card that Matt had given her that morning. She found it and handed Matt’s Visa card over to the cashier. “Here you go.”

The cashier accepted the card and swiped it. She waited for a few moments before her pale blue eyes widened and she gave an “uh-oh” look. “I’m sorry, but your card has been declined.”

“What?” Mallory gasped before shaking her head. “No, it can’t. Swipe it again.”

The cashier shrugged, running the card through again. She looked up from the computer screen with a doubtful look, handing the card back to Mallory. “It’s still declining the card, Miss.”

Mallory glanced at Erin, letting out a frustrated sigh. She couldn’t freak out right now. She looked down at the small pile of new skirts and blazers on the counter.

“Would you like to me to cancel your purchase?” The cashier asked awkwardly.

“No, no,” Mallory shook her head. She returned Matt’s card to her wallet and took out her own. She was lucky she had enough money in her own account that it wouldn’t it her too hard. She handed her own Visa card to the cashier. She watched the cashier intently as she swiped the card.

“It went through,” The cashier smiled, handing the card back and the receipt for Mallory to sign.

Mallory thanked her lucky stars that she wasn’t embarrassed a second time. She handed the signed receipt back to the cashier and kept her own copy, putting her wallet away. The cashier placed the clothes neatly into Bloomingdale’s signature Little Brown Bag. Mallory put her purse back over her shoulder and grabbed the handles of the brown paper bag.

“Have a good day and thanks for shopping,” The cashier said as Mallory and Erin turned to leave.

“You too,” Mallory said politely. She waited until they were out of the department store before looking at Erin, who was holding her own brown paper bag. “Well, that was embarrassing. I mean, I just used it at that last store.”

“Yeah, that’s weird,” Erin nodded. “You should talk to Matt about that card.”

“I will when I get home,” Mallory agreed, though she thought about texting him just to let him know. Matt’s card never declined, and considering she’d just spent close to a thousand at the store before Bloomingdale’s, she found it weird. “Well, where to next?”

Their next stop ended up being at the nail salon, where they both got manicures and pedicures. They’d gotten their nails done first. Mallory got a simple, white French tip while Erin’s nails were painted a dark cobalt blue.

Mallory squirmed in the big leather chair while her feet soaked in the small pedicure tub. She rubbed her thighs together uncomfortably, trying not to splash water onto the floor with the movement.

“You’ve been squirming all day,” Erin mentioned, looking up from her phone in her hand. “Are you alright?”

“Mhmm,” Mallory nodded awkwardly. She didn’t realize that Erin had noticed. “Just an itch.”

Erin nodded in understanding before her eyes and mouth got wide. “Like, down there?”

“Can we not talk about this while I’m getting my feet done?” Mallory asked in a hushed tone, looking around the salon. “There are people around. I’ll tell you later.”

Erin held it to Mallory once their feet were painted and massaged. Calling it a day, they made it through the congested parking lot to Mallory’s car. All Mallory really wanted to do was stop at the bathroom and scratch. She considered stopping at the drugstore for some type of feminine ointment for itch relief on the way back.

“Okay, what do you mean you itch down there?” Erin blurted out as soon as the doors of Mallory’s car were closed and they were inside alone.

“It just itches,” Mallory said vaguely. She was honestly worried. “It’s been itching for a few days.”

“Did you get a bad wax job?” Erin wondered. “’Cause one time I did and the lady left me red and flaming down there.”

“It’s not a bad wax job,” Mallory shook her head. Her waxing lady was on point every time. “It’s sort of sore too.”

“Is there discharge?” Erin sounded like a doctor. “Are you sure it’s not just a yeast infection? Just grab some Monistat.”

“It’s not a yeast infection, but there’s whitish discharge that’s not normal.” Mallory knew that. She knew her body, and she knew it very well.

“Uh, any bumps?”

“No. I don’t even know why I’m telling you this. I couldn’t even have sex with Matt this morning or any other day this week because it’s embarrassing,” Mallory rubbed her hands over her face. She’d made a doctor’s appointment for Tuesday afternoon during her lunch break and it couldn’t come fast enough.

“You’re telling me because we’re girls and I’m your best friend,” Erin said like it was obvious. Then, she sighed. “If you’re sure it’s not a regular yeast infection, then maybe it’s… something else.”

“What do you mean something else,” Mallory said through near gritted teeth.

“Just show me and I’ll tell you,” Erin said. “You can jump in the backseat and show me.”

What?” Mallory shrieked. “I’m not showing you my vagina, Erin! You’re not a real doctor!”

“Okay, we’ll go to my house if you’re uncomfortable in the car,” Erin suggested. “Bri’s out with his dad.”

“I’m not showing you, Erin,” Mallory repeated, looking at her friend like she was crazy. “I’ve already made a doctor’s appointment for Tuesday.”

“I can totally diagnose you before then,” Erin insisted. “You think I’m going to help old people grocery shop forever? I’m going to be a gynecologist assistant, which means I’ll be looking at vaginas all day. Trust me, yours is no special.”

“It is special to me,” Mallory said defensively, shielding herself from whatever Erin might do.

Erin laughed, even though it wasn’t a situation to be laughed about. She composed herself after a moment. “Seriously, I take it you didn’t talk to Matt about it yet, and you really need to. If you have what you’re telling me, then take my word… You’ve contracted an STD, Mal.”

Mallory’s expression was one of concern and anger. An STD never crossed her mind. No, she couldn’t have a transmitted disease. She’d never had one in her life, and she couldn’t get it now. She’d only been with one guy, who was only with her.

“That’s not funny, Erin,” Mallory said flatly, strapping her seatbelt and pushing the key into the ignition. She started the engine and backed out from the parking spot.

“You think I’m joking?” Erin asked rhetorically. “No, I’m not an actual doctor, Mallory. If you know it’s not a yeast infection, then it has to be that. You don’t suddenly wake up and it’s all messed up down there for no reason.”

“So, what? You’re telling me Matt’s got it, too?” Mallory scoffed, laughing bitterly.

“That’s exactly what I’m telling you, Mallory,” Erin nodded in confirmation. “If you got it, then he got it from somewhere too. I know you’re glued to him, so you’re out of the question. But Matt… well, you don’t exactly know where he’s been.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Two words: UH. OH.

GIVE ME SOME REACTIONS!