Substance Assumptions

One

The next day, John walked into the hospital sleepily and nodded at Mandy who watched him in kind concern. Checking files of patients, he didn't even acknowledge that he went to Oliver's first, making sure that nothing had happened to him during the night. His concern quickly diminished, however, as he read over his blood work.

Oli had been given water and aspirin to treat the hangover. He took them guiltily, just absolutely humiliated and ashamed of his behaviour the previous night. He prayed that the Doctor would come back so he could express that, just for that, and possibly another one of those sweet smiles that he sent his way last night.
No sooner than he'd thought this, the Doctor pushed the door open and greeted him.
"Hello Oliver. How are we feeling today?"

"Fine, thank you."

"Not hungover?" He asked sarcastically, looking at his bedside file.

"The nurse gave me aspirin..."

"Good. Now, I'll check the stitches if that's alright?" His question was more a formality than actually asking permission as he moved forwards and offered his hands out to help him stand up.

"Don't strain yourself too much or else they'll break." He said quietly, and Oli took his hands, not really because he needed to, and he guiltily enjoyed how soft they were.
The doctor checked the wound and nodded.

"It's looking good. Right, you can sit down now." He sat and wrung his hands nervously as he tried to time the apology just right, John writing in his file.

"You should be good to go now. But first I need to ask you some routine questions based on your blood work." Oli frowned in confusion but nodded.

"Your alcohol level was, unsurprisingly three times that of the driving limit. But I also found it quite interesting that you had traces of...crack cocaine, marijuana, and several traces of ecstasy and rohypnol, or the common term - roofies - in your system." John announced before raising his eyebrows sternly. He looked annoyed at the blank and confused expression on Oli's face.

"Judging by your blood work, I can tell that this isn't just a one time thing. Or are you actually trying to tell me that you've been taking these drugs without your knowledge?"

"I'm not a druggie, I don't take stuff intentionally, besides the odd joint. And I think we both know that I wouldn't have slipped myself a roofie." John felt a slight pang of guilt as Oli wrung his hands and obviously tried to remember who could've given it to him.

"Well it's obviously happened more than once, as with the other drugs." Oli shrugged almost carelessly.

"Well, I've been to the club a lot recently, guess people have been slipping me stuff." John was slightly angered and shocked at his reply.

"Don't you even care?" Oli looked up in surprise and he realised how unprofessional he sounded.

"Well. It's not my business. But for the sake of your health, may I recommend not putting yourself in that kind of danger in the future? Anyway. Here are your clothes," he handed Oli the bag with his things in.
"..I just need you to fill out some forms then you're good to go." Oli nodded, and didn't get the chance to give the handsome doctor an explanation before he was gone.

He got dressed, cringing at the pungent smell of body odour, smoke and alcohol as he did so. John frowned when he walked out at the state of his bloodied, sick stained t-shirt and shook his head.

"Come with me. I don't want you to get those kind of germs around the wound or else it'll get infected." Oli nodded silently and followed him, confused when he realised they were in a locker room. When John opened one and offered out a white shirt he shook his head.
"What- no, no it's ok, I can't take-"

"Just put it on. It's a spare one that I bring with me, I haven't worn it." Oli laughed and shook his head.

"As if that's what I'd be worried about. But I can't take your shirt, Doctor."

"Just take it, please. And it's John." He smiled and took off his t-shirt slowly, wincing at the pain.

"Need any more painkillers?"

"It's ok. The nurse already gave me some to take." John nodded and checked his phone before locking up the metal cupboard, trying his best not to look at Oli's bare chest and failing miserably. Oli, who was slipping his arms into the shirt suppressed a smile when he caught John looking at him. He did up the buttons slowly on purpose and smiled slightly.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Sorry, it's a bit big but.."

"No it's great. Thanks. By the way, I just wanted you to know that I'm never like I was last night, as you saw I had drugs in my system, and I'm not a druggie either. I kind of had a rough few weeks, and going to the club just got it out of me y'know? I've never been like that-" Oli was grateful when John held up his hands.

"It's ok, you don't have to explain yourself to me." Oli nodded and promptly threw his t-shirt away when he realised he was still holding it. He reluctantly told John something he hadn't wanted to.

"I need to book in an appointment though."

"Oh?"

"AIDs test. I don't know who slipped me any of that shit, or what they could've done to me while I was out." John looked shocked and saddened for a second before he covered it up and nodded supportively - his doctor routine kicking in.

"Ok. I can do it now if you'd like? If we do a blood test you won't get the results back for-"

"Three to eight weeks, I know." John looked sad again, sad that Oli actually knew that, but he nodded.

"Ok. We can do it that way, or I can take a swab from your mouth and test it right away."

"O-ok." Oli hid his rapidly growing nerves and John's quick, professional approach helped calm him down. While the results were pending, John looked at his watch.

"You can either come back in around 20 minutes to get the results, or we can go get a coffee or something." Oli nodded and realised for the first time how dark the circles under John's eyes were. They talked quietly as they walked, Oli's nerves didn't make things any easier, but somehow, even when they weren't talking, it wasn't awkward.

They grabbed a coffee and sat down at a table chatting, Oli asked about John's hobbies, and found that they shared a passion for music and the new James Bond movies, but that John spent very little time indulging these interests. As Oli was about to delve deeper into this, an elderly lady was wheeled over by a nurse.
"Oh sorry to interrupt dears, Doctor, I just wanted to thank you for my new hip! Even though I can't walk on it yet, it already feels better!" John smiled brightly and spoke to her for several minutes before she was wheeled away again.

"You really care, don't you?" He nodded somewhat bashfully.

"I do. It's been twenty minutes. Let's go get your results." Oli immediately felt his happiness drain out of him and he walked with John back to the room where the results were ready and waiting for him to read.

"Go ahead. It's not my business." Oli picked up the piece of paper and felt relief hit him like a punch to the gut. He blinked back tears and nodded at John.

"I'm ok. I'm clean." He smiled happily.

"I'm happy for you, would you- oh, sorry I have to get this." He got a call and in two second flat he was running away at full speed, leaving Oli standing there in his shirt and not sure if he should leave or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Phew! Thanks so much to those of you who have subscribed, if you haven't please do, and tell me what you think!

Thanks for reading