Plans to Make & Hearts to Break

Girl, You Shoulda Been A Drummer

I'm not sure how long Danny and I dozed on the couch, but I was startled awake with a loud knock on the door. I extracted myself from the couch and Danny sat up as well.

I opened the front door and had to fight the reflexive urge to slam it shut instantly. It had started to rain outside and William stood on my porch, trying to duck out of the rain. “What's… up?” I asked quietly, my brows furrowed.

“Can I use your phone?” He asked without hesitation. “I locked myself out, my sister’s got a spare key, but my phone is definitely inside with my keys.”

“Seriously?” I hissed. His only response was a nod. I patted my hands between my pockets before realizing I'd left my phone.. somewhere while I was cleaning. “Fine, just.. give me a minute.” I couldn't help but roll my eyes before turning away from the door and going towards my bedroom.

With my back turned, I heard the following series of events. Danny pushed the leg rest of the couch down and stood up. He said, “Man, it's pouring!” And must have walked to the door as I heard the storm door open as he spoke again. “You don't have to stand out in the rain, dude.”

“Thanks man. We haven't met, yeah? I'm William. Live next door.”

This is my nightmare.

Their conversation fell out of focus as I walked into my bedroom. My phone was not on my dresser or plugged into the cord by my bed. Damn it.

The next place to check was the bathroom. It was nowhere visible here, either. I know I used it today, so it didn't just vanish. A quick scan of the kitchen counter and it wasn't there, either.

Out of options, I walked back into my bedroom to look more thoroughly. After a minute or so of cursory searching I finally picked up the blanket from my bed. Giving it a few quick shakes caused my phone to finally clunk! onto the floor. Apollo sat upright on my bed, his sleepy eyes squinting at me, questioning why I would dare move his comfy hiding spot. “I have someone for you to meet,” I grinned, scooping the orange furball into my arms.

“When did you get a cat?” Danny asked as I returned to the living room. He was standing and talking to William still, interrupted by my entrance.

“I found him under my car a few days ago,” I explained. “Took him to the vet and made sure he was healthy and so Apollo has been my new roommate.” I unlocked my phone and handed it to William as I spoke. He took a few steps away and tapped the number into the onscreen keypad.

My attention returned to Danny. “His owner didn't want him?” He questioned, a confused expression on his face.

“I didn't see any posters or anything about a missing kitten, so I'm assuming he was stray.” Danny just nodded slowly. “Besides, who could resist this little face?” I grinned as I held Apollo towards him.

“Probably someone who's been super allergic to cats their entire life,” Danny responded while taking a quick step backwards.

My brows furrowed again. “How did I not know this?” I questioned aloud. I set Apollo down on the back of the couch now, knowing he loved to curl up right in the center to nap.

“You're a lifesaver,” William’s statement interrupted the discussion Danny and I were about to get into. As if he hadn’t noticed the familiar presence before, Apollo perked up with a small mrow and trotted to the end of the couch to greet William. I'm pretty sure the cat loved him more than me.

“Hey 'pollo,” he grinned, reaching out a hand to scratch the top of his head. “Oh, as I was saying-” He turned his attention to Danny again, “I'm playing at an open mic thing downtown tonight, actually.”

How long had I left the two alone that this is the turn their conversation took?

My mind raced and while I wasn’t totally focused on what was being said, I know the conversation ended with Danny saying to me, “We should go out! It's not like we have anything else planned tonight.”

I know I had just talked to my friend on the phone last night about how Danny wasn't spontaneous enough, but this is not the way I'd hoped for that to change. I had to logical argument against the decision, but the only response I could muster was a nod.

My gaze shifted to William, trying to read his expression. But he was focused on Apollo, who was now batting and his hands.

---

I spent the next few hours praying to be struck by lightning.

---

Danny and I sat at a tall table in a dimly lit bar, to the left of the small stage. With one hand I fidgeted with the label of the apple ale Danny brought to me. He was drinking a tall glass of a beer the bar had on tap. We had listened to an unassuming girl read a bit of angry, melodic poetry and there was now a lull between the open mic performers.

“We should come out here more often,” Danny spoke quietly, leaning close to my ear as he spoke. “They've got open mics every Friday. We can make a habit of it.”

“That sounds great,” I whispered, moving quickly to give him a quick peck on the cheek. It won't be weird at all!

Before much longer, my neighbor’s lanky frame had found its way to the stool onstage. After a few moments fiddling with the tuning of his guitar, he started playing the melody that began a song. “This is the type of song that people tend to ask,” he started. He seemed to scan the small crowd of bar patrons, his eyes eventually landing on the table Danny and I occupied. There was a slight hesitation, “People will ask, 'hey, who's that one about?’ and really, the only good answer I could ever give is that if it's about you, you'll know.

The end of the statement got a soft laugh from a few people, and there was barely a pause before William transitioned to singing.

She's a dangerous kind
And I like it that way.
On the night we met, I sent an S.O.S
Turned me upside down with the look on her face!

She's a perfect mess,
A real one of a kind.
When the curtains closed, we were gettin' close.
And the clothes in the corner stayed there all night..

Oh, she never skipped a single beat
Left me there while I was still asleep!

Girl, you shoulda been a drummer
You break me down like no other
You beat my heart black and bruised
No one does it like you do!
No doubt, you've got perfect rhythm
Crash and burn and then it ended
You played me so hard so fast
Just like heavy metal thunder
Girl, you shoulda been a drummer!

When the morning came along
She didn't say goodbye but I didn't mind
Because a scratch is what you're gonna get
When you open the door and let a lion inside!

Oh, she didn't skip a single beat
Left me there while I was still asleep!

Girl, you shoulda been a drummer,
You break me down like no other.
You beat my heart black and bruised
No one does it like you do
No doubt, you've got perfect rhythm
Crash and burn and then it ended
You played me so hard so fast
Just like heavy metal thunder
Girl, you shoulda been a drummer

Oh, you never skip a single beat

Oh, she never skipped a single beat
Left me there while I was still asleep

Girl, you shoulda been a drummer
You break me down like no other
You beat my heart black and bruised
No one does it like you do
No doubt, you've got perfect rhythm
Crash and burn and then it ended
You played me so hard so fast
Just like heavy metal thunder
Girl, you shoulda been a drummer
Girl, you shoulda been a drummer…


Oh, I definitely knew.